Apple Iphone 4s/Samsung Note/ Motorola Razr

I have certain observations. Don't call me a killjoy or a spoilsport. But isn't spending 30+ K on a cellphone ridiculous? Granted that Samsung Galaxy SII or Nokia Lumnia or whatever are very good phones. But they are still phones for crying out loud. After 2 or 3 years they will become outdated, old-fashioned, etc. These cameras or apps - how often are they used?

I purchased the Nokia 3620 in 2003 when it was launched (the second camera phone to be launched in the world) for 23K. Two years later, I switched to O2 XDA-IIi (36k). I got tired of the buggy Windows 5 mobile in a couple of years. Now I stick to simple phones and a not too expensive Blackberry.

Think carefully before spending - it is your money ultimately. A 30+K will go a long way to service a loan EMI or a much useful purpose such as a washing m/c, dishwasher or fridge, better laptop/desktop, etc.

i completely agree for what you stated but considering any equipment that includes technology will eventually get outdated.

its not just about cellphones.. you any look into anything that you mentioned like washing machine , fridge , laptop... these all electronics used to stay and shine in our houses for years all together back in 90's when the change in technology was slow.. eventually the growth rate in technology has sky rocketed...

you can see similar scenario every where.. we have our own example .. one of most visited thread of pana VT20.. look at the prices last year and look at it now..

its everywhere... and laptops and desktop are the fastest evolving things in the market today..and companies dosent even give extended warranty more than 4 years for its EOL for them for a laptop/desktop.

though your thought of using that cash somewhere else is completely wise but again technology got its own pros and cons.. you get the latest fastest and the most beautiful gadget/notebook/etc etc and within short period of time it render useless..

its just the matter of priority and choice...!!!

Last edited:
actually, I am for a lookout for a phone that has:
a. at least 3-4 day of standby, and talk time of 10 hours
b. no other functionality required over and above being very reliable for calls and sms. Maybe a very good camera.
If there is a cell phone that has good battery life and reliability I can go for it.

For everything else I can buy another device and another connection.

This is like asking for a CDP in the age of blu-ray but each has its own advantages.

for reliability and decent stanby/talktime.. good fit and finish.. nutin beats a NOKIA to date..have used few BB , Sammy and MOTO's.. out of which BB's have been the most horrible experience.. Sammy and Moto's were decent but Nokia is the brick phone for me.. drop it.. it never gives up...

though its not into android and sales figure show a drop but reliability yes.. any day..

note is definitely not a cell phone. It is too huge for a cell phone. SII is nice - I have planned to buy one as soon as I get a samsung discount coupon which will take down the price to 22.5k

Sauri, the galaxy s2 itself is barely pocketable, so with a Sam note, portability sure is an issue. The choice here is between apple and android. If it's the latter, then go for the s2. Moto service in India is quite poor.

Why not consider a Windows phone? I have been a relatively long time user of Android (>1.5 yrs) and was a big fan of its ecosystem, till my recent experiences with malwares has turned me off. I am speaking of using apps solely from Android market and not from the third party sources. The fact that one can get unlucky with apps even from the market is just too big a deal breaker for me.

I have found the reviews of recent windows phone to be pretty good, both in terms of slickness of the UI as well as performance of the h/w. And if I read your listing, it is apparent you are not looking for a budget phone ... one of the drawbacks that the current windows phones face is that there are no budget phones :D So in a way, all windows phones have been launched with good high end specs.

Give it a thought ....

Cheers
Rishi

P.S: IPhone 4S is just ridiculously priced here in India and is not worth it. And I doubt you will go a long distance Siri considering it expects either a Brit accent or an American accent :) Siri is the biggest draw with 4S.

Whoever says portability with the Note is an issue has either never carried it anywhere or is wearing tight jeans. I have absolutely no issues in carrying it around or using it. The screen is brilliant and its also wicked fast. Best deal for 30K today.
I have pocketed a Note in a TIGHT JEANS and it glided inside and came out nicely with original flip cover. So whoever THINK G Note or worst SII is is not pocketable, needs to gather his thoughts and experience again! As per my experience of more than a decade with these devices, most important factor for a device to be pocketable (or portable) is its DEPTH and NOT length and breadth (till its lower than the size of a regular Jeans pocket).

Add to it belt fit covers and I do not see any issue carrying a Note (which is more like a Laptop in your pocket):yahoo:
I have certain observations. Don't call me a killjoy or a spoilsport. But isn't spending 30+ K on a cellphone ridiculous? Granted that Samsung Galaxy SII or Nokia Lumnia or whatever are very good phones. But they are still phones for crying out loud. After 2 or 3 years they will become outdated, old-fashioned, etc. These cameras or apps - how often are they used?

I purchased the Nokia 3620 in 2003 when it was launched (the second camera phone to be launched in the world) for 23K. Two years later, I switched to O2 XDA-IIi (36k). I got tired of the buggy Windows 5 mobile in a couple of years. Now I stick to simple phones and a not too expensive Blackberry.

Think carefully before spending - it is your money ultimately. A 30+K will go a long way to service a loan EMI or a much useful purpose such as a washing m/c, dishwasher or fridge, better laptop/desktop, etc.
Oops, I beg to defer completely with you here buddy. The thought always crosses my mind, but the fact is that I am using Smartphones since the very first TRUE PDA Phone on this Planet (SE P800) and I can never look back to "just a phone" thing. I sometimes carry 2 phones and yes, then your statement will hold true as the other one would be "just a phone" tiny one to sit safely besides my PDA phone. However, lets not mistake these devices as "Just a Phone" as they are REGULARLY used by me for beyond a phone application. Infact my G SII can serve as a great Full HD Media Player, FLAC Music Player (granted the audio is not as great as my original SGS), USB On the Go, 3G Wifi Tethering serving as a great, most portable n Router, outstanding Gaming Machine when clubbed with a BT Game Pad, a PC when paired with a BT Mouse and Keyboard, Great GPS Nav device with seamless 3G coverage on the move for media server and online media content, USB Storage when needed, and the list goes on! Its essentially a full fledged PC on the go and Infact as compared to a Note or SII, most (if not all) Tablets are like small kids (grudges invited ;))

Also, when talking of making these devices obsolete, I wonder if it will EVER become one even in the next TEN YEARS! I agree better devices will come every year and make these Samsung phones look underwhelming. However, when I run my SII at 1.6GHz, having more than 50% of DDR3 RAM available most of the times despite several apps running at a time including games, I doubt I would have performance issues even in the next 5 years! Even a SGS1 is still sufficient except for the lack of RAM and the original ROMs use RFS which makes the phone laggy. So if you can upgrade the RAM on SGS1 to 1GB (I know, not possible) and run custom ROM using ext4, it will also fly for the coming 2 to 3 years. SII is leagues ahead in terms of performance. Note seems even better, however may not be as portable or durable with practically identical hardware except for large HD screen, S Pen and Barometer.

Last edited:
@just4kix - I used to think the same till I got the Note. Now I realise what I had been missing all along. The smartphone brings everything together in one place with speed and convenience. For eg, earlier, I would need to go home after work to check stuff online but now everything is available in one place.

@anm - Don't consider large screen smartphones if you're looking for long battery backups. My phone can last one day at best (with a LOT of usage). If you are OK with Windows, check out the new Lumia series.

@theironhorse,

Definitely ... its a matter of priority and choice. I am speaking from personal experience regarding any device's usability, useful life, getting outdated, price drop, etc. I cited examples of some white goods just as an example to understand the context. Everything get outdated - the point is "are we going to get the money's worth?". My personal opinion is ... think first before leaping. :)

@prankey,

If the phone and its features are so much useful and used, then definitely the device is worth. But most people I have seen rarely use any other feature except maybe music and camera. I used to get envious looks (in 2005/6) when my XDA-IIi used to be flouted on my waist belt. Now, I have outgrown that. :)

putting it in pocket is one thing, and then sitting comfortably with it is another. I hope you are finding note comfortable in this regard too.
I want a good reliable phone to be covered on most basic need, and I will have a smart phone for everything else.

Just to update you friends, Call to local Samsung dealer and He's saying Nexus is available in next four days . m sitting with my finger crossed. :yahoo:

its just the matter of priority and choice...!!!

Well said!!

@just4kix

Its not only priority, but also your interst, passion. My Bro-in-law went totally bonkers to hear that I spend 15K on somer computer card that only helps to play games :D ...... total waste he says and bad investment. And I remember even he said something on the same lines that, its hard earned your money, so you should spend .........blah blah .... but I am passionate about games, computers gadgets/digi stuff, I enjoy them like anything, and so every couple of years I do upgeade my PC, gaming hardware, gadgets. On the other hand I cannot seem to justfy spending even 1500-2000 bucks on some branded shirt/jeans...lol :D, or even 150 Buck on a Deo for that matter :D. Where as my Brother spends a lot on the same .....

So you see its all about what your are passionate about and yes as theironhorse pointed out priority and choice ....:)

Last edited:
Yesterday saw Demo of Note , , , Totally :)Droooolllll it's a cool device very impressed with performance really it's a nice device ...

First thanks to all my friends , for providing pros and cons , After hearing that Nexus is going to be launched in INDIA by Jan last week, Bought Galaxy S II yeaterday . .:yahoo::clapping:

Hi

On this thread most of the posts are from experienced users of mobiles and are too short to provide guidance to those who have been using simpler mobiles and want to upgrade.

Are there any threads on this forum or any sites on the web where phone basics (Android, Windows etc.) and features are discussed?

Regards.

@ anm .. actually i am not able to carry Note only coz of this i reject otherwise it's a cool device..

Hi

On this thread most of the posts are from experienced users of mobiles and are too short to provide guidance to those who have been using simpler mobiles and want to upgrade.

Are there any threads on this forum or any sites on the web where phone basics (Android, Windows etc.) and features are discussed?

Regards.

You can ask here to in details for the same . .

I will show some patience and will wait ...... I am sure it would be worth ... :)

Even I am without my HD Desire. I sold it off as I was getting a good deal, thinking that Nexus would release in Dec. Now I have a cheap Samsung mobile which I had to buy for 1200 bucks to pass the time till Nexus releases .... :)

Nice thread,

Currently using LGP500 running on Gingerbread, unstable and slow, with SD card unmounting issues.

Currently saving money for Samsung SII, looks cool, interface response and loads of features. Note, IMHO, is definitely not portable!

Are there any known issues in S2?

Cheers!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back