Apple lossless from Android phone to external DAC

I get a max of 48k on usb out from my android phone. Bluetooth just shows ldac. Any way to go higher than 48k? Developer option has settings for bluetooth only.

MaSh
There must be options to get around it but on a cursory glance, it looks quite complex. Not trusting my android skills (if any) to try it out on my phone. I might give it a try on my wife's old phone if time permits. Will update if I find anything.

This one is off. Not sure if the "audio source" is not available in my version of Android ie android 11.
Audio Source is not available on my Android 11 either (it is on Android 7) but USB Audio out works. Could it be a problem with the adapter ? I am installing Apple Music on my wife's old phone which she is not using. Am using a different adapter for if. Will post if it works on that. Android Version 7.

Edit:
@sam_007
Installed on my wife's old phone with a different converter. Initially I had some issues. Audio was not playing. I also have USB Audio Player Pro installed on this phone. I reinstalled the USB player and now all is fine. I don't know if this will help you though.

My USB Audio Player Pro plays Tidal MQA lossless (Andrea Bocelli Believe 96 Khz 24 bit 1609 Kbps) from the Android phone to the DAC. The DAC recognises the MQA playback and turns its volume light to Purple.

So it is possible to play HI Res from an Android device. Now to figure out how to do it for Apple Music.

Last edited by a moderator:
My USB Audio Player Pro plays Tidal MQA lossless (Andrea Bocelli Believe 96 Khz 24 bit 1609 Kbps) from the Android phone to the DAC. The DAC recognises the MQA playback and turns its volume light to Purple.

So it is possible to play HI Res from an Android device. Now to figure out how to do it for Apple Music.
AFAIK, UAPP & Tidal App install with their own USB drivers and bitstream, AM doesn't do that. Apple will need to release bit streaming app for that.

2 more things I came across...

1. In Samsung, it is reported that one can get HiRes Lossless vis something called UHQ Upsampler. S21 is also said to support 24/384.

2. I came across an unique Jugaad by someone. (I have yet to test it though, Will be trying this later during the day.)

The workaround is Opening a 24/384 output API via PowerAmp and preventing Audio Focus. Playing a silent audio file in PowerAmp opens up a 24 bit/192Khz HiRes API, and Apple Music can output to it when open by superimposing on its HiRes Output.

Audio focus change is disabled in PowerAmp, so the silence and Apple Music are playing concurrently on the HiRes Output.

You guys can try and update if it work meanwhile.

Audio Source is not available on my Android 11 either (it is on Android 7) but USB Audio out works. Could it be a problem with the adapter ? I am installing Apple Music on my wife's old phone which she is not using. Am using a different adapter for if. Will post if it works on that. Android Version 7.
@ssf, If not audio source, which option is selected for "select usb configuration" n "default usb configuration"? I will try to change the adaptor as well n check.
@sam_007

Installed on my wife's old phone with a different converter. Initially I had some issues. Audio was not playing. I also have USB Audio Player Pro installed on this phone. I reinstalled the USB player and now all is fine. I don't know if this will help you though.
Do I need to install app USB audio player Pro or any similar app to make the audio out from type C jack?

@ssf, If not audio source, which option is selected for "select usb configuration" n "default usb configuration"? I will try to change the adaptor as well n check.

Do I need to install app USB audio player Pro or any similar app to make the audio out from type C jack?
Sorry, I did not mean to confuse you. Your Android 11 phone should have played via USB with the current configuration. You don't need to install USB audio player pro at all. That was just a test I did. Also, I have tested USB with two different connectors on two different android versions. Both worked fine.

Please try pluging in the adaptor first and then starting Apple Music to see if that works.

AFAIK, UAPP & Tidal App install with their own USB drivers and bitstream, AM doesn't do that. Apple will need to release bit streaming app for that.
Yes. That is correct. UAPP does MQA straight from mobile !!! Sounds pretty good too. 800 odd rupees well spent.
2 more things I came across...

1. In Samsung, it is reported that one can get HiRes Lossless vis something called UHQ Upsampler. S21 is also said to support 24/384.

2. I came across an unique Jugaad by someone. (I have yet to test it though, Will be trying this later during the day.)

The workaround is Opening a 24/384 output API via PowerAmp and preventing Audio Focus. Playing a silent audio file in PowerAmp opens up a 24 bit/192Khz HiRes API, and Apple Music can output to it when open by superimposing on its HiRes Output.

Audio focus change is disabled in PowerAmp, so the silence and Apple Music are playing concurrently on the HiRes Output.

You guys can try and update if it work meanwhile.
Wife has a Samsung S21 Ultra. Don't think she will let me play with it though. Will try the workarounds you have suggested. Was also reading up on poweramp but did not follow through. All this is purely out of curiosity from my side. I don't think Apple lossless will make much difference to me as Is am already on Hi-Res from Tidal. :)

In Samsung, it is reported that one can get HiRes Lossless vis something called UHQ Upsampler
In my wifes old Samsung S6, UHQ Upsampler only activates when a headphone is plugged in. Doesn't activate on USB. In my Samsung S10+, it activates on USB too and defaults to Bit Upscaling.

Apple Music on S10+ sounds a lot better than on S6.

With this, I will put further experiments on hold. Apple Music lossless and hi-res sounds pretty good with the current settings.

Last edited:
Folks, I need your suggestions on how I can experience Apple losses in my stereo setup. When casting Apple lossless from my android phone Apple music app to my Airtel xstream box, whose digital optical out is connected to an external DAC, it is not supporting. It is playing AAC not ALAC, the lossless logo is going off in the Apple music app.

What changes I need to do to play lossless? Do I need to get any cable/converter to connect my phone to external DAC?
OR I need any media/streaming player to connect to the DAC to make it work?
Need your suggestions here.
Check out hificast and double twist pro app for airplay 2.(paid app in android store).Hificast can cast 24 bit 192khz hi res audio and double twist pro can do casting as well as airplay 2 but this is paid app.

Sorry, I did not mean to confuse you. Your Android 11 phone should have played via USB with the current configuration. You don't need to install USB audio player pro at all. That was just a test I did. Also, I have tested USB with two different connectors on two different android versions. Both worked fine.

Please try pluging in the adaptor first and then starting Apple Music to see if that works.
I was busy n not able to post. I have done this setting in my android phone n it worked for me, my external DAC now can read from my android phone using type c otg.
Settings-> additional setting -> turn on OTG connection.
Not day n night difference but yes can feel bit better with lossless.

Check out hificast and double twist pro app for airplay 2.(paid app in android store).Hificast can cast 24 bit 192khz hi res audio and double twist pro can do casting as well as airplay 2 but this is paid app.
Here I have a doubt, how we can sync Apple music n the apps you mentioned? Does usb type C port of my mobile capable of transmitting high resolution signal 192?

Why don't you try if you have one. Android has different versions of OS on TV and Mobile, but I guess it should work.

My Android Box is loaded with Mobile version and not TV version of OS. I have installed Tidal and AM on it.
My Airtel xstream box doesn't have Apple music in its play Store. Any alternative here..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back