Apple Tv 4k (5th Gen)

Tiger1970

Will be arrivig today..
Mainly purchased it for Dolby Vision .

Know that the ****** have removed the usb port..
Really going to have a tough time on connecting my expansion Disks..

Need help in this...

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Purchased one yesterday to get access to Itunes 4K content. Picture quality in 4k is surprisingly sharp for streaming. For instance, Netflix UHD looked sharper than my LG C7 inbuilt app.

Main strengths of the device based on my limited usage so far:

A. Great build quality (given its Apple)
B. Dolby Vision (only source for me so far, dont think there are many sources for Dolby vision content currently) - looks absolutely stunning, and yes its better than normal HDR
C. Itunes movie purchase - this is again the cheapest way to own a 4K HDR movie. India prices are around 700, while a 4K blu ray costs 2600. And lets not even talk about 4K player prices.
D. 4K movie rentals - even cheaper, costs around 150 bucks. This is the main reason I went for the box, though I have a Fire stick, PS4 and a OLED inbuilt apps already.
E. ability to watch my iphone 4k videos/photos directly on TV

Issues:
A. Price (also given its Apple)
B. No Kodi
C. No USB as mentioned above
D. Remote takes little getting used to (for non apple TV users)
E. Only one HDMI out and no Optical out, so people with slightly old surround sound AVR system cannot pass through 4K video through AVRs. This was my issue as well, but found a workaround with a direct connection between Apple TV>OLED and then used TV ARC to feed audio back to my AVR.

Hope this helps.

How much data is consumed when you stream 4k movie via netflix or itunes. I think we should have a high FUP limits on our broadband else one movie will finish the monthly quota

How much data is consumed when you stream 4k movie via netflix or itunes. I think we should have a high FUP limits on our broadband else one movie will finish the monthly quota

I am lucky I stay in Hyderabad which has arguably the best speed and plans in India. Beam/Act broadband has plans for around 1000 bucks which gives 75mbps speed with I think 250 GB FUP.

I really struggled to find a good ISP provider with this kind of speed and plan when I was in Gurgaon few years back.

I also noticed that Apple TV 4k is outputting sound in Best Quality (Full Dynamic Range) LPCM 5.1 or 7.1. This is uncompressed and superior sounding that Dolby Digital. Sound quality is better in Netflix, PrimeVideo on Apple TV than on the Fire TV Stick. Listening through Denon 1200W AVR. If anyone else noticed the difference do let me know.

I am lucky I stay in Hyderabad which has arguably the best speed and plans in India. Beam/Act broadband has plans for around 1000 bucks which gives 75mbps speed with I think 250 GB FUP.

I really struggled to find a good ISP provider with this kind of speed and plan when I was in Gurgaon few years back.

I am with the same ACT in coimbatore with 100mbps & 400GB FUP . My question was how much of bandwidth(in GB's) one full 4K movie consumes while streaming via appleTV

I am with the same ACT in coimbatore with 100mbps & 400GB FUP . My question was how much of bandwidth(in GB's) one full 4K movie consumes while streaming via appleTV
Cant say for sure, but I checked my daily usage on my Act portal. On the days of 4k movie streaming, I van see around 18-20 GB consumption. So I would assume around 18 GB is the size of a 4k movie (with Dolby vision). It seems low but I read that Apple using a different compression technique with relatively better results.

As an avid user of last 5 years ( 2 iphones, 2 ipads, a mac book on the way....), I am just waiting to buy this...... Thank you every one for the first impressions.... I dont care about the cons, as I will be buying a new AVR which supports 4k.......

I've bought this device recently, enjoying some wonderful movies on Netflix and PrimeVideo. DV+DA on Netflix, better compression tech and results for video+sound is the reason I went for this one. iTune movie purchase/rentals and iTune music is bonus, I feel the iTune music quality is better than Prime music when streamed, although prime music has better variety. I'm using VLC for now to stream some of my old content from the NAS device (Xtreamer eTrayz) that I have. VLC playing network media is the solution to play local media for now.
Overall happy with the performance.

Will be arrivig today..
Mainly purchased it for Dolby Vision .

Know that the Fuc@&^% have removed the usb port..
Really going to have a tough time on connecting my expansion Disks..

Need help in this...

Thanks

Connect it with an ethernet cable, and then connect your drive to your router (assuming you have a USB 3.0 port on the router).

Then use vlc and network sharing to play your files. It works like a charm on my Apple TV 4k.

The best option to consume local content on the ATV is Infuse Pro. It will stream almost any filetype available on your network upto HDR 4K HEVC 10bit files.
An even better option is MrMC (which is a Kodi variant) that does all of the above + ATMOS .
However Infuse has a better UI and is a lot easier to use.

One interesting feature I noticed was that you can use a Android phone to cast YouTube videos on Apple.TV 4k. you can search for content on your phone and the video plays on apple TV 4k

Hello All, I know it is an old post however, just wanted to check with you all proud owners of Apple TV 4K if you ever faced problem with low volume on Apple TV 4k?

I got my ATV 4K last year and until recently, I thought it is normal that I have to crank the volume of AVR to atleast 75 to hear normal dialogues while streaming YouTube or any content.

I want to check is it the same case with you guys too?

Thanks.

Hello All, I know it is an old post however, just wanted to check with you all proud owners of Apple TV 4K if you ever faced problem with low volume on Apple TV 4k?

I got my ATV 4K last year and until recently, I thought it is normal that I have to crank the volume of AVR to atleast 75 to hear normal dialogues while streaming YouTube or any content.

I want to check is it the same case with you guys too?

Thanks.
What’s your speaker set up look like?

What’s your speaker set up look like?
It is 2.0 set up. ATV is connected to TV and then routed to AVR.
However, while waiting to hear here, I changed the routing and connected ATV straight to AVR and it helped.
Additionally, I have changed the speaker tone level so it has improved a bit.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back