Apple TV 4K, for Dolby Atmos...worth it?

slash1814

Hi Guys, Any experience with regards to Dolby Atmos from Apple TV+ 4K? I do not have a 4K TV, is it worth getting it just for the Atmos?
Considering the inputs signal may be still be 448 kbps at best (may be with Apple TV movies or Netflix). I have a Denon 4500H, Currently I am utilizing its virtual Atmos surround. Please suggest if getting an Apple TV+ 4K with Atmos will enhance my sound / listening experience.

~Cheers, Slash

I dont know about other devices and receivers but Apple 4K is definitely good for Atmos. Using it for the last 1 month and found it even better than Amazon 4K (on which Atmos never worked). Also one of my friend uses it plugged in Denon receiver and says the sound is much better compared to other streamers

I dont know about other devices and receivers but Apple 4K is definitely good for Atmos. Using it for the last 1 month and found it even better than Amazon 4K (on which Atmos never worked). Also one of my friend uses it plugged in Denon receiver and says the sound is much better compared to other streamers
Assuming your experience is good with Netflix as well, with regards to Atmos?

Hi Guys, Any experience with regards to Dolby Atmos from Apple TV+ 4K? I do not have a 4K TV, is it worth getting it just for the Atmos?
Considering the inputs signal may be still be 448 kbps at best (may be with Apple TV movies or Netflix). I have a Denon 4500H, Currently I am utilizing its virtual Atmos surround. Please suggest if getting an Apple TV+ 4K with Atmos will enhance my sound / listening experience.

~Cheers, Slash
Do you have atmos speakers ?

Any experience with regards to Dolby Atmos from Apple TV+ 4K? I do not have a 4K TV, is it worth getting it just for the Atmos?
Its Totally Worth it : it has an amazing SQ and PQ advantages over firetv 4k I used earlier. The 4k and Atmos titles are pretty decent and its growing in a sizeable manner frequently. If you are invested in Apple Ecosystem recommending an Apple tv 4k is a no brainer, the seamless integration with other ios devices for entering Text etc is very comfortable.

In case apple TV is providing Atoms with a 440 kbps bit rate (for example), I guess, then I'll let my Denon do the pseudo surround into my 9.1 channel set up. On the other hand if bit rate offered as a part of the ATMOS stream is decent then I may think of upgrading my older Apple TV to new one.

The advantage of apple TV 4k is in its itunes library. Many 4k titles have Atmos. But you may have to either buy it or rent it.
Atmos on itunes movies is much better than Atmos on Netflix, but comes at a price.

Another great thing about apple TV 4k is it's video upscale quality and sdr to hdr conversion.

However, unless you have very capable system with overhead Atmos speaker, for Netflix Atmos content, I doubt the difference will be substantial between Netflix Atmos and upscaled Atmos from your receiver.

The advantage of apple TV 4k is in its itunes library. Many 4k titles have Atmos. But you may have to either buy it or rent it.
Atmos on itunes movies is much better than Atmos on Netflix, but comes at a price.

Another great thing about apple TV 4k is it's video upscale quality and sdr to hdr conversion.

However, unless you have very capable system with overhead Atmos speaker, for Netflix Atmos content, I doubt the difference will be substantial between Netflix Atmos and upscaled Atmos from your receiver.
Thanks for the info. I have been using ATV since 2012, my set up is a 7.1.2, have 2 overhead speakers along with standard 7.1. I see on the internet that for atmos the bit rate is 768 kbps for Netflix and 640 for standard 5.1. Considering that my AVR is already spitting out 7.1.2 for this 5.1 stream at 640, upgrading to ATV 4K does not look like a great improvement, especially that I dont have a 4K TV and I have to pay 17000/- to get ATV 4K box.

Thanks for the info. I have been using ATV since 2012, my set up is a 7.1.2, have 2 overhead speakers along with standard 7.1. I see on the internet that for atmos the bit rate is 768 kbps for Netflix and 640 for standard 5.1. Considering that my AVR is already spitting out 7.1.2 for this 5.1 stream at 640, upgrading to ATV 4K does not look like a great improvement, especially that I dont have a 4K TV and I have to pay 17000/- to get ATV 4K box.
Yes...I don't think, you are missing much...

The only way to confirm would be to find a download of Netflix content in Atmos and play in your system and compare it with your upscaled 5.1 content.
On your Apple tv, you can use infuse to pass through Atmos.

The only way to confirm would be to find a download of Netflix content in Atmos and play in your system and compare it with your upscaled 5.1 content.
Infuse can passthrough atmos? As far i know infuse supports only atmos encoded in eac3

I guess 3rd generation ATV does not output atmos at all. As its fed into my Denon 4500H, i have never seen an option of Atmos.

I guess 3rd generation ATV does not output atmos at all. As its fed into my Denon 4500H, i have never seen an option of Atmos.
BTW how can you download Netflix's atmos content? I changed to Ultra HD plan, but having Standard Firestick and Standard Apple TV, I never got an option of Atmos. Any thoughts..?

Apple TV 4K is definitely a great product, you won't be able to use 4k but it will be future proof if you buy as still 4k content is quite limited.. even very few Blu-Ray is actually mastered in true 4k.. but still it would be future proof

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back