Arcam Alpha 5 plus amplifier

it's in a different city, but i am willing to travel to check it out. jai's advice does sound sound (hyuk hyuk). Hmmm, so maybe I'll try this amp with the Dali Lektor speakers and see how they do, and if they sound good, i can pick them up and then start my auditions of various speakers.

Jai is right. This is always a chiken/ egg problem. Amp first or speakers first.
It is better to buy the amp first because it is easier and safer to carry it around for auditions, compared to buying speakers first and carrying them around.
Just try with some decent speakers once before buying to get the idea. Do you have to buy it blind (from different city) or can you listen to the amp before purchasing it? If you can borrow it, nothing like it.

regards

Definitely amp first unless you are going to buy proven speakers that you have liked and enjoyed in the past.

The thing with all these auditions is that they never do give you the absolute idea as to how they sound in your home and your room. If you can get people to give demos of speakers in your own room - that is the way to go.

wow, that would truly be a dream scenario wouldn't it (at least with the kind of budget components i am looking at)? has anyone ever had a dealer offer a home demo?

Definitely amp first unless you are going to buy proven speakers that you have liked and enjoyed in the past.

The thing with all these auditions is that they never do give you the absolute idea as to how they sound in your home and your room. If you can get people to give demos of speakers in your own room - that is the way to go.

wow, that would truly be a dream scenario wouldn't it (at least with the kind of budget components i am looking at)? has anyone ever had a dealer offer a home demo?

viren, lyrita audio :)

for amp, speakers and phonostage and all components i might order in future. very few commercial dealers do.

even JBL offered home demo but I didn't call them back as I thought the prices were too high. Sharda motors in Khan market also offered home demo of dalis, given that I pay for transport - but that too didn't happen as either I didn't have time, or they didn't have speakers to demo.

I have home auditioned only few product till date, and coincidentally, they too are Lyrita. I will be auditioning more from Lyrita.

regards

:) viren does sound like an amazing chap (he responded to my e-mail inquiry in painstaking detail).

Anyway, since I can't afford his equipment i am not looking for a used amp. And I am hoping some luck will shine on me.

I am monitoring some interesting used stuff on ebay UK including an Arcam A75, Rotel RA-01, Marantz PM-66 KI, a Linn Majik, Arcam Alpha 10 and a Cambridge Audio Azur 640 A V2, all with current bids under 100 pounds. I am sure not many, or perhaps only one or two of them will close under 100 pounds, but they all sound like they would be good deals at a 100 pounds or less.

There's a cousin of mine coming down from the UK next month, so I am considering using him as a courier (i still haven't asked him though :p ).

viren, lyrita audio :)

for amp, speakers and phonostage and all components i might order in future. very few commercial dealers do.

Raghu of Decibel has been kind enough on a few occasions to offer me a home demo on a few of his equipments. And that went a long way towards firming myself up as to exactly what I needed versus what I wanted:)

oh ya i just remembered Decibel, i must give them a call/ drop in as well....want to check out the speakers from PSB, Q Acoustics and Epos.

Raghu of Decibel has been kind enough on a few occasions to offer me a home demo on a few of his equipments. And that went a long way towards firming myself up as to exactly what I needed versus what I wanted:)

Would it make sense for me to buy this amp, and then take it around and see what speakers it drives the best? Would that be a cart before the horse approach?

My ideal scenario is that this should match with the Usher S520 perfectly, but I am willing to take a chance on that, and if it so happens that it matches better with the PSB Alpha B1 or the Paradigm Atom or the Monitor Audio BR2, I am good with going with one of those speakers as well.

And all this keeping in mind that my listening room is VERY SMALL. It is a square, 10' by 10'. I am not going to need high levels of loudness.

The Alpha 5 is still a good amp to own. I would say the low end would be impacted if you paired it with the S520. Its a better match with the Alpha B1 and MA BR2. What are you planning to listen to with this setup?

rock and old pop from simon and gargunkel to iron maiden with some dire straits, genesis, queen, van halen, elton john, dave matthews band, deep purple, some Indian rock (motherjane, thermal and a quarter). I am starting to get into some jazz and classical as well.

Anyways, now my plan is set (on the advice from you wonderful people), and it's going to be a long process. I am going to first fix on and get hold of an amp. Whether it is the Alpha 5 plus or one of the ones in UK, i am not sure, but i'll do that perhaps by August, and once i have the amp in my hands, i'll go around to the various stores, and audition the speakers, and see if people like raghu are kind of enough to permit home auditions also.

The CD63Se and the Audioengine 2s in the meantime have formed a happy partnership :)

The Alpha 5 is still a good amp to own. I would say the low end would be impacted if you paired it with the S520. Its a better match with the Alpha B1 and MA BR2. What are you planning to listen to with this setup?

rock and old pop from simon and gargunkel to iron maiden with some dire straits, genesis, queen, van halen, elton john, dave matthews band, deep purple, some Indian rock (motherjane, thermal and a quarter). I am starting to get into some jazz and classical as well.

Anyways, now my plan is set (on the advice from you wonderful people), and it's going to be a long process. I am going to first fix on and get hold of an amp. Whether it is the Alpha 5 plus or one of the ones in UK, i am not sure, but i'll do that perhaps by August, and once i have the amp in my hands, i'll go around to the various stores, and audition the speakers, and see if people like raghu are kind of enough to permit home auditions also.

The CD63Se and the Audioengine 2s in the meantime have formed a happy partnership :)

You may find the dynamics not as wide for the genres with the Ushers. PSB or MA is better fit.

You may find the dynamics not as wide for the genres with the Ushers. PSB or MA is better fit.

Hi marsilians,

Apart from the MA and PSB

will Dali befit for Rock music

Dali IKON 2 49,000/-
Dali LECTOR 2 26,000/-
Dali LECTOR 3 32,000/-

Kindest regards

Hi marsilians,

Apart from the MA and PSB

will Dali befit for Rock music

Dali IKON 2 49,000/-
Dali LECTOR 2 26,000/-
Dali LECTOR 3 32,000/-

Kindest regards

Again i dont know your listening tastes but generally speaking, if you are budget consious, the Lektor 2 would be a decent choice. Otherwise the IKON 2 also pairs well. Other speakers that complement similar to Dali's are Mission and Polk. The Dali's IKONs tend to have better detail and bigger soundstage though.

Most of the Ushers I have heard needs current. They like lots of it. The Arcams especially the lower powered ones have finesse but not much current capability. They are like the older Marantz amps.
I have not tested out this aspect of the s520. I have just heard them once. Sounds good.

An old sansui sounds like a good idea. :)

Morduant shorts entry level (a friends has them paired with the CA)a is a bit on the bright side. Tipped in the highs to hide its shortcomings with detail. A Zildjian cymbol will sound half its size and tinny with hardly any shimmer or detail/texture But it will be extra hot and bright.
If your cd63 seems to be a bit on the brighter side, that speaker may not be a good idea.
I know this is a very old post and I would have thought you are sorted out now. I've used Arcam alpha 5 + amp in the past and it was good, but I always go back to Cyrus because they blow everything out of the door. A Cyrus sounds amazing if you can find a toggle switch version Cyrus 2 your laughing. How I would describe Cyrus, Arcam, Linn intek, and Denon are very smooth and clean sounding amps. I paired a 63 Marantz with a Cyrus and it was dreadful. If using the Amps i mention pair them with some Monitor Audio Br1s or Br2s, bronze 2s or bronze 1s. If you want a good second-hand pair try some Tannoy Mercury M1's. My old System was as follows but had to sell cheap due to financial problems. Cyrus 8vs2 amp, PSX-R, Cyrus CD 8se 2, PSX-R, Speakers were Monitor Audio BX2's. Atacama HMS 1.1 speaker stands. Sound style hifi stand. Cables were chord company chameleon silver plus. Speaker cable we're Chord odyssey. Sorry, my tuner is a Denon TU260 Mk 2. My turntable is still a Nad/ Rega planar 2 clone with Rega RB250 and AT95 audio Technica cart. My current amp is a Rotel BX4 but the stereo input crackle really bad because a friend smoked on it and its totally knackered it. Thanks everyone, any replies are gladly welcomed!

I've heard an Arcam Alpha 5 + it sounds ok but it depends what you pair it with. For me an Alpha 5+ is a bit under powerful. Id go for a Linn Intek integrated but they don't come inexpensive. EBay UK you are looking at £200.They are 50watts per channel, or preferably a Cyrus 2/PSX but they are not inexpensive either. The Cyrus 2/ PSX combo but the toggle switch version is 70 watts a channel. A Cyrus 2 will set you back £200-£300. If you want a nice sounding amp, a Denon will be smooth sounding too. Also, an Arcam will be, go for a later version Arcam instead of the Alpha range.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back