Arcam and other options for Proac/Linn speakers

Grama

Hi All,

I have been reading this forum for some time now and have found it extremely useful. Thanks to all who have taken the time to provide all this useful information.

I hope some of you will be able to help me decide on my music-only system.

Speakers: I will probably go for a Proac Studio 140 or Proac Response D18 or Linn Majik 140.

But I am very confused about the source+amp. Here is what I am considering:

Lower Budget Options:
(A) Arcam Solo Neo or
(B) Arcam CD17 + Arcam A18

First Question: Are the above two similar in quality? Between the two, I like the convenience of a one box solution of Arcam Solo and I really want the streaming facilities of the Neo. But am I giving up on sound quality compared to option (B) above?

Second Question: Are these options good enough for the speakers I am considering, or do these speakers really need more expensive source+amp?

If I have to spend more, I am considering the following higher budget options:

(C) Arcam Solo Neo + Arcam P38
(D) Arcam CD17/CD37 + Arcam A28/A38
(E) Cyrus 6SE + Cyrus 8XPd
(F) Arcam CD17 + Linn Majik DS-I

I like option (C) since I can start off with the Solo Neo and then upgrade by adding just the poweramp P38 if and when I feel like it.

But is it a bad idea to mix a "lower end" cd-player+preamp like Arcam Solo with the higher end Arcam P38? Is it better to go for a more "balanced" combination of cd-player + amp like Arcam CD17/CD37 + Arcam A28/A38 ?

Which takes to my final options:the Cyrus and Linn options (motivated by my desire to stream music from my computer / hard-drive).

I would appreciate your thoughts on the sound-quality of these various combinations.

Thanks,
Rama

i havent heard it but i dont think the arcam solo is a good choice for speakers of this quality.

whats the price for the speakers that you have selected.

Speakers: I will probably go for a Proac Studio 140 or Proac Response D18 or Linn Majik 140.

But I am very confused about the source+amp.

I like the convenience of a one box solution of Arcam Solo and I really want the streaming facilities of the Neo. But am I giving up on sound quality compared to option (B) above?

ProAc D18 + Naim Uniti

Re. doors666's question: The speakers are around Rs. 1.5 Lakhs for the Proac Studio 140 and Linn Majik 140. I haven't checked the Indian prices for Proac D18, but I am guessing it may be 30K or 40K more than the Studio 140 (based on international prices).

Re. unleash_me's suggestion: Yes, the NaimUniti seems like an excellent match ... it gives me exactly what I want in one box. But there seems to be no local dealer. It looks like it will cost me Rs. 2.4 lakhs to get it here and I don't even understand if I get a warranty. From the price perspective, this seems a bit worse than brands like Arcam/Linn etc., all of which seem to sell at around Rs. 100 per Pound Sterling (compared to UK prices). Furthermore, the Arcams/Linns definitely look much better :). But, yes, I think I should definitely keep it as one of my options.

Thanks,
Rama

Rama:

Good choice, indeed. Actually, I'd stay away from Arcam CD17 and A18/A28, not in the same league as the CD37/A38 combo. In the Arcam FMJ range, anything below the 37/38, is just pedestrian to me.

I'd pair the 37/38 to the much nicer ProAc Response D18, if at all your budget can stretch to that extent!

:)

I have auditioned both with Absolute Phase.Excellent speakers.
Same price range you could also look at:
Thiel CS 1.6/Boomarang,Audio People
Spendor A60/Cadence
Dynaudio Focus 220 MK2./Soundsmiths
Don't waste your money on the one box Arcam Solo or Naim Uniti.
Amps you could audition:
Integrated:
Arcam A38
Bryston 100 B SST
Musical Fidelity M6i
Plinius 9100/9200
Moon i-3
Krell S300i
Pre/Power
Bryston BP6/2B SST Square/3 B SST Square
Musical Fidelity M6 Pre/Power
Quad 99/909
Quad CDP2/909
Tube Amp
Ayon Orion/Spirit 1 or 2.
Have only heard some of this stuff.But believe all of it would be worth auditioning.

Same price range you could also look at:
Thiel CS 1.6/Boomarang,Audio People
Spendor A60/Cadence
Dynaudio Focus 220 MK2./Soundsmiths
Could you please tell me the prices of these speakers.. also any other good speakers in this price range 1-2L. Sorry to OP, I had asked this in another thread, but didnt get many responses.

Could you please tell me the prices of these speakers.. also any other good speakers in this price range 1-2L. Sorry to OP, I had asked this in another thread, but didnt get many responses.

The Thiel and Spendor were both quoted at 1.6 L,the Dynaudio's for 1.8 L.
Personally I would say all these prices are over the top!These speakers would be worth buying if they were available at around 1.25 L.
I was recommended the discontinued Spendor SE 8's as one of the finest speakers around,but at 1.8L+taxes it was not in my budget.But on paper they looked damn good to me.Of course an audition would be essential.At some point of time,I definitely want to OWN two speakers--B&W 804's and Sonus Faber Domus GP or Cremona M.Something to dream about....
I feel an amp/cdp/cables may be bought without an audition if logistics don't allow for one,but speakers never,never,never! Better not to buy,than buy blind or should that be deaf?:))
If you are interested in a good pair of Speakers,stay in touch with Grattan/Boomarang at 09820949395.Sooner or later he would find the right speakers for you at a reasonable price.That was my experience with him.Don't know about other folks....
Incidentally there are still Arcam (Diva) CD73'S floating around.In the 30-40K range this is great VFM.The Arcam amps are nice but lack bigtime power and slam,but I feel there CDP's are among the best and would hold up well with much more expensive systems.My Arcam Diva CD192(45K)is simply superb!Far better I would say than the FMJ CD17 which retails for 60 K+.
Lots of random info.Hope someone finds it useful!

The Thiel and Spendor were both quoted at 1.6 L,the Dynaudio's for 1.8 L.
Personally I would say all these prices are over the top!These speakers would be worth buying if they were available at around 1.25 L.
I was recommended the discontinued Spendor SE 8's as one of the finest speakers around,but at 1.8L+taxes it was not in my budget.But on paper they looked damn good to me.Of course an audition would be essential.At some point of time,I definitely want to OWN two speakers--B&W 804's and Sonus Faber Domus GP or Cremona M.Something to dream about....
I feel an amp/cdp/cables may be bought without an audition if logistics don't allow for one,but speakers never,never,never! Better not to buy,than buy blind or should that be deaf?:))
If you are interested in a good pair of Speakers,stay in touch with Grattan/Boomarang at 09820949395.Sooner or later he would find the right speakers for you at a reasonable price.That was my experience with him.Don't know about other folks....
Incidentally there are still Arcam (Diva) CD73'S floating around.In the 30-40K range this is great VFM.The Arcam amps are nice but lack bigtime power and slam,but I feel there CDP's are among the best and would hold up well with much more expensive systems.My Arcam Diva CD192(45K)is simply superb!Far better I would say than the FMJ CD17 which retails for 60 K+.
Lots of random info.Hope someone finds it useful!

Great research there ajay124 - listening impressions, pricing, contacts - kudos:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Speaking of prices, what is a reasonable discount to expect over the Suggested Retail Price?

Thanks,
Rama

' Reasonable Discount ' would depend upon who is more 'impatient'.You to buy or the dealer to sell.:)

Hi,

Just catching up with this thread. I have listened to the proacs but not the D18, rathers its older sibling D15 and also the Tablettes.

D140: These are excellent in mid and lower frequency reproduction. They would however become overpowering in a smaller room (2 woofers compared to the 130).

D15: Overall better resolving than the 140 but not by very much. Its about 30% higher priced than the 140s

If money was an issue, I would go for 140, otherwise it woudl be D15 (or 18 in your case).

I have seen other folks recommend spendors and Thiels.

Spendor (or Harbeth or Rogers) are one of a kind. People will either love or hate the sound signature. Also they are amazing at midrange but the upper and lower frequencies do not keep with the midrange in my view. Harbeth, while fantastic are way overpriced.

Thiels are not as musical as the Proacs. They are a bit on the hot side on the mid and upper frequencies.

Linn Majik 140: These are good albeit overpriced speakers. While they are one of the top manufacturers, I think a better deal will be Aktivs.

Also, in my little experience in installing systems, the Linns are made to be driven by their own branded amps. Its kinda hard to match other amps to get the same tonality and signature.

Re: amps, I would look beyond Arcam (sorry if I burst anyone's bubble). One of the best results I found was when the proacs were driven by tube amps (Audio Research, Cary, Jolida, Manley Stingray and such). Unfortunately you have to source these from abroad. But once you set them up, it will be fantastic!

From a purchase point of view, buy the speakes first and then mate with an amp as you tend to keep speakers longer than other components in your system.

Also, suggest you NOT buying before auditioning.

@marsilians
The only bubble around at the moment is in the stock market.:)Don't recall seeing any 'Arcam' bubbles.I mentioned Arcam because Grama mentioned it in the original post.I presume he heard it at Absolute Phase and liked it.Personally I feel Arcam is a decent amp,but overpriced,considering the modest power specs.I briefly contemplated buying the A38 but was confused by the tech specs which state:
105wpc continuous power output (8ohms, both channels driven)
200wpc continuous power output (4ohms, 1kHz, one channel driven).
I wrote to Arcam to find out the power at 4 ohms both channels driven.
While the first reply did not bring enlightenment I finally found out that it was 140WPC at 4 ohms both channels driven.
I dropped the idea of buying the A38 because I did not feel that a 'decent' amp with a 'decent' power rating of 140 WPC/4 ohms deserved a price tag which was variously quoted between 110K-130 K.Might have bought it if the price had been in the 70-80K range.

@marsilians
The only bubble around at the moment is in the stock market.:)Don't recall seeing any 'Arcam' bubbles.I mentioned Arcam because Grama mentioned it in the original post..

I was not intending the post against yours rather there are a lot of Arcam owners on the forum who like their amps. Don't want to cause any flame wars with Arcam vs. others.

Like you said, some of their top models are good but overpriced. However what I found mostly about Arcam (when compared to others) is that they are less involving. Again this is comparative and they do sound good by themselves. However there are other alternatives at the price range.

What do people think about the Marantz reference series (like 15S2 or 11S2)?

These seem pretty reasonably priced for the Indian market (better than any other brand I have looked at so far) and there are local dealers who can supply these with a warranty and so on.

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back