Are Atmos AV receivers overrated?

Donivlapog

Won't a decent 7.1 with Dolby true HD and DTS master HD based receiver do the upmixing and bring out the Atmos effect with height speakers.

My understaning is that atmos is object based surround vs channel based surround. Hence the requirement of additional speakers on Atmos setup.

Won't a decent 7.1 with Dolby true HD and DTS master HD based receiver do the upmixing and bring out the Atmos effect with height speakers.

I currently use a SR5011 and have not configured Dolby Atmos as most content I watch over OTT is DD or DD+. I have configured the remaining 2 channels as Front Height. Possibly some upmixing happens

IMHO Dolby Atmos when heard it at What Hi Fi Shows before Covid vs a 7.1 or 7.2 setup (Front Wide or Heights or Rear Surround) I didnt find much difference in the effects. I guess a 5.1.4 would possibly bring out the real experience.

Difference may be audible if you switch off atmos settings in avr. Same like if you suddenly press stereo mode when file is 5.1, you will realize that there was something in surrounds which is missing now.
If you play real atmos file as 5.1 or 7.1, overall sonic performance changes.

If you play real atmos file as 5.1 or 7.1, overall sonic performance changes.

No content is lost, though. Presentation changes, of course, because of the lack of object metadata and the need to use existing channels to play that erstwhile object data. You hear the same audio content (assuming room doesn't mask things away) in both cases. One is a 2D ring of sound while the other is more of a 3D bubble.

I definitely will always keep Atmos speakers for the movies and well mixed Atmos tracks. If done right, it’s a great experience. Lot of Netflix content is now in Atmos. All Apple TV content is Atmos, so for me its an obvious choice.

+ 1 @Raj22

If done right one can definitely hear the difference. Movie mixes matter too, some movies have very few atmos content.

It creates a bubble like @liverpool_for_life said, you don't miss not having atmos on 5.1 or 7.1 but having it adds a great experience.

It is like a special ingredient which enhances the HT experience if done right.

So speakers also must be Atmos compatible or it is the AVR's job?
avr job and its a special hardware decoder which decodes the object based atmos signal and delivers to respective speakers according to current speaker configuration it atmos adopts to as much as 64channels but its sound engineer's choice how many objects he should use and whether its a static atmos mix or dynamic atmos mix thats y some movie sounds are more impressive as they use more dynamic object.

Does it make sense to spend more on Dolby Atmos avr on new product price category of close to 90k minimum as against a Dolby true HD and DTS mater HD supporting AVR at pre-owned market price of sub 20k for those on a budget? Will those extra 70k make a huge difference? (Atmos AVRs are rare to find in pre-owned market which is why I am asking)

Does it make sense to spend more on Dolby Atmos avr on new product price category of close to 90k minimum as against a Dolby true HD and DTS mater HD supporting AVR at pre-owned market price of sub 20k for those on a budget? Will those extra 70k make a huge difference? (Atmos AVRs are rare to find in pre-owned market which is why I am asking)

A good question! It depends on person to person and needs. One may decide to have the best AVR with the blows & whistles and loaded with features. It all boils down on personal preferences and how much one is ready to spend. Most of us I am sure are on a budget due to other commitments and will draw a line when it comes to investing in high end products. With the prices of AVR sky rocketing (thanks to Covid) most of us would manage with what we have and make an investment where necessary after checking all available options.

My first HT setup done at the guest/waiting room with a second hand optical only AVR and inexpensive Micca speakers was a success thanks to Volumate, Chennai who helped with installation and calibration. Well, like Uncle Scrooge, for my second HT unit in my room with Lg CX and HDMI 2.1, i have thus far bought 3 pairs of Micca OoO speaker pairs for Rs.32700 from Amazon and I am inching closer to a second hand AVR with Dolby True HD and DTS master HD for about Rs.15k.

But my HT consultant, Mr. Harwin from Volumate keeps saying I will have to buy ATMOS receiver and dual subs. His budget will come to 90000 for Denon Atmos AVR and Rs.45000 for dual Taga sub woofers plus his installation and calibration charges.

I am thinking of just buying the second hand AVR that I shortlisted, have these paired to them and maybe even buy a sub the next month and have a frugal installation done myself. My estimate is 15k+~35k more. Or use one of the dual subs from my guestroom to get it done for Rs.15k more - the price of a pre-used AVR alone.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back