Are floorstanders and subwoofer passé ? (especially for minimalists)

Enkay78

Somehow over the years and with perhaps wisdom through the age, I am finding all these big speakers, subwoofers et all seems unnecessary if you can get excellent bookshelf speakers which can provide you the SPLs and dynamic ranges. Philosophical musing has always been like - all these different sets of speakers, especially for home audio, have a strong vested interest from home audio industry. I mean it’s understandable from pro perspective…….look at our modern living room.

I do have a large living room (22ftx 18ft with extended space of further 12x36ft). Fitting my floostanders and subwoofers et all has been a jarring experience….not only from perspective of space, but also from convenience, SQ and aesthetics. The FS goes away to my dedicated home theatre room.

And I use an active 2.0 in my living room. Weirdly….or maybe not, through the days, I am liking it more and more. (I use a pair of Kali LP 8 with Sabaj D5). And I like it both for music and movies. (Could be my brain is ‘burn in’ now )

Nowadays I tend to lean more towards active system. And apology to subjectivist FMs, this happens :)

Yes I know they don’t look good. Yes they are pro speakers.

But I care more for SQ and minimalism.
and KEF yes……but man…….

But I do have an issue with them - the cost. (But considering the total cost of amps+speakers+accessories……..)
I may own these one day.(off course I like measurements….and my Kali simply disappears behind the music)

Just imagine a nice clean minimalist living room without the congestion of FS, subwoofers, monster amps, snakey cables. Just a transparent dac and these. What say? (If you find this unsavoury…..just excuse this as a musing of a soon to be 50 year old man)

Let’s be gentlemanly.:D

Attachments

• E3FC2FF2-FE75-4DD9-B679-1BABDD743035.png
    E3FC2FF2-FE75-4DD9-B679-1BABDD743035.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 3CAF9D49-B01C-4FF9-8E49-3E9E09063A04.png
    3CAF9D49-B01C-4FF9-8E49-3E9E09063A04.png
    97 KB · Views: 15
  • 29AD2986-F2F9-4DB2-B887-83C270F50BDB.png
    29AD2986-F2F9-4DB2-B887-83C270F50BDB.png
    62 KB · Views: 14
  • D75F6DF2-CFA3-48DF-88B7-B1988CAD7F0A.png
    D75F6DF2-CFA3-48DF-88B7-B1988CAD7F0A.png
    218 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Amir at ASR went gaga about this.. :D
That Genelec looks like a really well thought out and executed design. Everything about objective measurements look great.
From that consistency of directivity, it looks like a great speaker which one can tune to their subjective preferences using custom EQs and that too to one's heart's content.. :D

<snip>
But I care more for SQ and minimalism. and KEF yes……but man…….
But I do have an issue with them - the cost. (But considering the total cost of amps+speakers+accessories……..)
I may own these one day.(off course I like measurements….and my Kali simply disappears behind the music)
<snip>
The KEF LS50W-II are a delightfully well integrated system.
Had them for four days for a listen. Two power outlets and a WiFi gets you going.
I was impressed with what they have put into 2 little boxes.
But, as you rightly pointed out, local pricing is very high.

Cheers,
Raghu

I firmly believe the future of Hi-Fi comes in the form of compact/integrated packages. KEF LS50W and Naim Unity Atom are the perfect examples of how a small box can do wonders. The amount of tech those small boxes integrate is remarkable.

For bass fans, no B/S or floorstander will do. Subwofer is the only way. Big, bigger, biggest.

For bass fans, no B/S or floorstander will do. Subwofer is the only way. Big, bigger, biggest.
But that what I am seeing.....look at the graphs.

These genelec are no slouch fo bass.

Consider the 118 db ...........edit- 108db

I also felt that subwoofer is a must.....but my experience with my Kali LP8....I am really surprised at how good measuring speakers can do.

Last edited:
screenshot_20211113-164421-jpg.64160
Screenshot_20211113-164421__01.jpg

Screenshot_20211113-164436__01.jpg

Now I wonder if these can grow on you .... aesthetically?

Do you honestly believe this will provide 118db of continuous bass?

I already know the answer, just curious if you honestly believe this.

To answer about the original thread question : For minimalists, floorstanders and subs were never an option.

Somehow over the years and with perhaps wisdom through the age, I am finding all these big speakers, subwoofers et all seems unnecessary if you can get excellent bookshelf speakers which can provide you the SPLs and dynamic ranges. Philosophical musing has always been like - all these different sets of speakers, especially for home audio, have a strong vested interest from home audio industry. I mean it’s understandable from pro perspective…….look at our modern living room.

I do have a large living room (22ftx 18ft with extended space of further 12x36ft). Fitting my floostanders and subwoofers et all has been a jarring experience….not only from perspective of space, but also from convenience, SQ and aesthetics. The FS goes away to my dedicated home theatre room.

And I use an active 2.0 in my living room. Weirdly….or maybe not, through the days, I am liking it more and more. (I use a pair of Kali LP 8 with Sabaj D5). And I like it both for music and movies. (Could be my brain is ‘burn in’ now )

Nowadays I tend to lean more towards active system. And apology to subjectivist FMs, this happens :)

Yes I know they don’t look good. Yes they are pro speakers.

But I care more for SQ and minimalism.
and KEF yes……but man…….

Just imagine a nice clean minimalist living room without the congestion of FS, subwoofers, monster amps, snakey cables. Just a transparent dac and these. What say? (If you find this unsavoury…..just excuse this as a musing of a soon to be 50 year old man)

Let’s be gentlemanly.:D
I have not heard Amir gushing over any other speakers like he is with this pair!!! Must be special…

I have not heard Amir gushing over any other speakers like he is with this pair!!! Must be special…
Yes.

The other members who already have these are also gushing them as be-all-end-all-SOTA-system.

Now three of these as LCR…….and the smaller ones for surrounds.hmmmmmm……..

But damn they costs.

Yes.

The other members who already have these are also gushing them as be-all-end-all-SOTA-system.

Now three of these as LCR…….and the smaller ones for surrounds.hmmmmmm……..

But damn they costs.
If someone thinks these are SOTA and "end all" they certainly have a limited frame of reference and easy to please preferences.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back