Are there any great portable cassette players?

Beautiful pics Thad, thank you for posting them :) Reminds me of the 1st simple walkman I recd as a gift from my aunt, which was a humble Crown or something, don't remember the name, but it was as big as your sony walkman, it had big headphones with bright orange pads. The body was all plastic, white in colour with a grey cassette flap. Such wonderful memories I have of that walkman, wish I can find where it is lying in my house :(

It's sad when those things go missing.

One thing I have lost is the headphones that came with my Walkman Pro. They were small and simple, with a plain, thin, steel band, but they were more than half decent, and I used them quite a bit for other stuff.

By the way, the fact that the rule starts at 2.5 inches is proof that "shatter resistant" is, at best, optimistic: it didn't resist much :)

Line In and Line Out wow!!!!
BTW thad is the leather case orignally came with walkman or you got it made?
Reminds me of 80's where "electronic investments" like Transistor,Boombox ,camera etc.protected by those leather covers!!

Hemant, please do not embarrass me. I have no technical expertise in the subject of audio equipments, the only thing I can do is to describe my own experience with them. The only thing I can be a bit technical about is music.

Thad, thanks for putting up the pictures. It brings me back quite a few memories. I see now that it does have both a line in and out. My memory has faded a bit, it has been 14 years since I last used it.

Hemant, that leather case comes with the machine.

Regards.

Thad Don't sell it and do post how digitizing cassettes turns out. It would be interesting.
By the way, the fact that the rule starts at 2.5 inches is proof that "shatter resistant" is, at best, optimistic: it didn't resist much :)
It 'is' shatter resistant from 7.5 to 10.5 inches :)

:lol: --- bet I could prove it isn't!

Yes, this is a real tape deck, in miniature! The only thing missing, that would have made it perfect, is three heads.

hemant, did you get my pm? I mean the latest one with my contact details?

Ananath you were supposed to call me for my sony walkman ..I think sent u a PM too..but no reply..

Lemme check whether it is arrived in my new home and survive my wife:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: and I'll respondf.

BTW read many places Sony's Walkman "Professional" was "the" walkman with recording was considered in "near nakamichi" area ( I refuse to beleive it)

Also Sony had some top of the line superslim walkman's ,many with there specila chargable batteries ,and they were sounding fantastic ,I personally heard some of them( Once my Dream av gear)

The rule was of British Origin; we used to have in our office, and they used to break regularly!

I have another "portable" cassette recorder in my dead/unused gadget cupboard. This one looks like a toy modelled on the larger pro machines: it even has "screws" moulded into the plastic case. Despite its looks, it was quite a serious 3-head machine, and had a lot of use in my house over 15 years ago. It was big and heavy (especially compared to the walkman pro) with built-in speaker (poor) and power supply (plug in direct to mains), and featured amplified stereo speaker connections. It was called Superscope, and I believe there was a relationship to Marantz. In it's day it was a great deck and, being able to connect direct to speakers, even a great spare-room sound system!

Superscope is indeed Marantz's. Wow ! Your cupboard is treasure trove of Vintage audio classics.
What else is in there ? I dont listen to radio but I could use a vintage analogue tuner specially silver slim pioneer one.
pioneer_tx-8500.jpg
:licklips:

I had a Sony WM D6C Portable Cassette Recorder and I must say it was great.

Sorry, hitensitapara a tuner is one thing I never possessed. What else is there? I think... just one of those Sony portable CD/radios. That was disappointing because it has such low volume. I think that is the lot.

Sometimes I used to plug my cheap Bush clock radio* into the hifi <Blush> Mono, of course, but it sounded a lot better than the 1-inch speaker. Actually, the radio and the alarm gave out long ago, but the analogue clock is still going strong --- after twenty years!

I'm afraid the mechanics of the superscope have given up now: I don't think the cassette door opens. Haven't looked for at least five years.

*I bought it as a cheap thing to take to sea with me when I started sailing. Alarm set: wake up for UK Shipping Forecast. Like a morning puja to sailing folk --- and to non-sailing folk too: it's chant-like list of forecast areas and forecasts is amazingly popular to many who don't even know what it means!

Last edited:
Thanks Thad, was trying my luck as these are great piece of audio equipments not easily available.
Sorry anm for being off topic. :)

WM-D6C Resurected!

Someone gave me some tapes (grateful dead and a few other odds and ends) so I got out the WM-D6C. The line-out will be used for digitising, on a when I get around to it basis, but right now, I have my new Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 headphones plugged in the headphone socket --- and I had forgotten that tape could sound this good! :eek:hyeah:

Re: WM-D6C Resurected!

Someone gave me some tapes (grateful dead and a few other odds and ends) so I got out the WM-D6C. The line-out will be used for digitising, on a when I get around to it basis, but right now, I have my new Audio-Technica ATH-AD900 headphones plugged in the headphone socket --- and I had forgotten that tape could sound this good! :eek:hyeah:

Aha! - resurrection

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back