Are there any great portable cassette players?

anm

Does any portable comes close to the full size cassette players?
Please suggest one, and if you have a good one to sell/ pass on, I am open.

regards

Ananath you were supposed to call me for my sony walkman ..I think sent u a PM too..but no reply..

Lemme check whether it is arrived in my new home and survive my wife:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: and I'll respondf.

BTW read many places Sony's Walkman "Professional" was "the" walkman with recording was considered in "near nakamichi" area ( I refuse to beleive it)

Also Sony had some top of the line superslim walkman's ,many with there specila chargable batteries ,and they were sounding fantastic ,I personally heard some of them( Once my Dream av gear)

BTW read many places Sony's Walkman "Professional" was "the" walkman with recording was considered in "near nakamichi" area ( I refuse to beleive it)

Yes, it is true that the Sony Walkman Professional (model no WMD6) was comparable to the big boys both for playback and recording. I had this one (bought in 1990 in Germany), and have recorded live many concerts and the quality is enviable. The Kolkata Sony service centre completely destroyed it in 1996 after I came back. This one cost me significantly more than my 3-head 2 motor dual capstan cassette deck at that time. If I find an used one now in good condition (in my dreams I guess, because this is out of production for a long time), I'd pick one up in a second.

Anant, if you want it for recording live music, go for a flash drive based stereo PCM recorder (of course it can also play, but just for playing these would be expensive choice). In my last trip to the US, I picked up the Sony Professional PCM-D50 recorder for about USD 470. This is apparently available now in Delhi, because I've seen some running ads in AVMax (in last 3 months or so) for these and other Sony Pro audio gear from a dealer based in Delhi. The quality is again very very good including the built in stereo microphones. But they pick up wind noise, and Sony's wind-shields are irritatingly expensive, so professionals in field work use some external microphones. I have to get some ext microphones myself as they pick up noise from ceiling fans (BTW, I had to have external microphones for my WMD6 because it did not come with any built-in microphones).

If you are looking for portable cassette player/recorder just for listening to your cassettes while you are mobile, then hard luck. The usual Walkman's are not that great.

Regards.

Does any portable comes close to the full size cassette players?
Please suggest one, and if you have a good one to sell/ pass on, I am open.

regards
Most Professional Cassette Player have flywheel in their mechanism to keep constant speed of playing tape.
big wheel...>
back.jpg

If portability is the only goal, walkman in my opinion will not give that kind of accuracy as these flywheel are big to accommodate in small places.

The Sony Walkman Professional was my want-want-WANT gadget for ages --- and then, when I eventually got one, I got a minidisc machine shortly afterwards, and the Walkman Pro has been in the cupboard ever since.

Pros: It is a beautiful, craftsman, precision machine.

Cons: Big, for a portable, and battery life (4*AA) dismal.

Did you know? You can even vary the playback speed!

No idea if mine still works after years in storage, or if I can find the mains adapter --- but I might use it to digitise a tape or two one day, via the PC.

I've seen it reviewed as being as good as full-size deck. I don't agree with that, but you can see it has impressed people a lot.
Asit said:
If I find an used one now in good condition (in my dreams I guess, because this is out of production for a long time), I'd pick one up in a second.
Mine's hardly used! If I ever do sell it (no plans to) I'll advertise it on this forum!

Last edited:
Mine's hardly used! If I ever do sell it (no plans to) I'll advertise it on this forum!

whoops Thad - SELL IT TO ASIT -

that (one) man wants it - and you will have no (earthly) use for it -

two happy persons -

what are you waiting for? - absolution?:lol:

Oddly, I did try to sell it shortly after buying my minidisc --- and had absolutely no takers!

No... I'm hanging on to it for a while yet. Just in case.

And... come to think of it, the case is one of the nice bits. If it isn't leather (and I guess it probably isn't) it's a damn good imitation!

but I might use it to digitise a tape or two one day, via the PC.
Have already tried that. Noise in the recording was too much (If I remember, the walkman was Sanyo). But good thing is you can reduce the noise in software. If songs are precious dedicated cassette player will be good for recording as they have line out.

Thanks, Rajesh... but I am keeping it for a while yet.
Have already tried that. Noise in the recording was too much (If I remember, the walkman was Sanyo). But good thing is you can reduce the noise in software. If songs are precious dedicated cassette player will be good for recording as they have line out.
Hadn't thought of that. As far as I remember there was only headphone, not line, out.

From
WM-D6

WM-D6
(1982)

The WM-D6 at first looks like a rather large personal stereo, but is really more like a miniaturised TC-D5 portable cassette deck. Although the WM-D6 was not the first Walkman model that could record, it was the first that could do so to such high standards that it was suitable for professional use.

The WM-D6 used a very similar mechanism to that of the TCM-600 and the TPS-L2. The similarity is evident in the layout of the controls and tape transport components. However, to raise the quality to the high level demanded, the mechanism was upgraded by fitting a disc drive capstan servo similar to that of the TC-D5. Inevitably all the parts had to be made smaller, but the principles remained the same. One would have thought that this would be enough, but the designers took the disc drive concept one stage further and made it quartz controlled. At a stroke, this removed any possibility of drift or error, and gave the WM-D6 perfect speed accuracy under all conditions. The system worked by comparing the output of the capstan tacho sensor with the divided-down output of a quartz crystal oscillator. The servo ensured that the two signals were locked together by varying the motor speed. As the quartz crystal frequency never altered, neither did the tape speed. The user was given the option of bypassing the system and setting the tape speed manually by up to 4% using a small dial at the rear of the machine. In this mode, the servo operated as it did in the TC-D5. The switch that controlled the variable speed function was mechanically interlocked to the record key and so was automatically returned to the quartz locked fixed speed mode whenever a recording was made.

Other features carried over form the TC-D5 included the ferrite heads and the DC-DC converter, which enabled the electronics to operate at a higher voltage than the batteries would normally provide, improving the sound quality. There was no room to accommodate the TC-D5s large moving-coil meters so the WM-D6 used a single LED bar graph display instead. This could also be used to give an indication of battery condition. An input was provided for a microphone, though using the switchable attenuator this could also accept signals from an amplifier or second recorder. The limiter function from the TC-D5 was not carried over, so recording level control was manual only. Two pairs of headphones could be connected. A three position tape selector switch allowed normal, chrome and metal tapes to be used for both recording and playback, though the selection was manual, not automatic as it had been with the TC-D5.

Power was usually provided by 4 AA sized cells, though the battery compartment was designed so that the standard Sony Ni-Cd pack could be used too. This could be recharged in situ from the DC input socket.

The WM-D6 was expensive but was also capable of outstanding performance, better than many full-sized cassette decks. It was quickly adopted by radio stations and news organisations as the ideal machine for reporters to use. It also became a favourite for making high quality but discreet bootleg recordings at concerts. It was replaced by the improved WM-D6C.

About WM-D6C
This updated model added to the strengths of the WM-D6 by offering an important extra feature: Dolby C noise reduction. This system, which operated in playback and record, improved the dynamic range considerably. Including Dolby C noise reduction in a compact portable was not easy, and the integrated circuits which performed most of the functions had to be made by Sony themselves. The fact that this extra function could be fitted to the WM-D6 without making it any larger was amazing, though it forced some changes, for example the second headphone socket was no longer fitted.

Other useful modifications were made at the same time. Most useful of these was the addition of a line-in connector, which allowed direct connection to other audio equipment without having to use the microphone socket. This was a great improvement and helped to reduce the background noise level when recordings were made from line sources, such as a CD player, second tape recorder or a mixing desk. The level meter was also altered so that as well as showing the recording level or the battery condition, it could be switched off to save battery power.

The WM-D6C could easily be identified from the earlier version as the professional script on the top cover was changed from green to yellow. The WM-D6C could not really be improved upon and so remained in production almost unaltered for many years. The only change of real interest was that in later production units the printed circuit was re-drafted to use surface mounted components. These were much smaller than the types used originally, though as the size of the recorder stayed the same the only advantage was a reduction in the cost of assembly. The circuit remained substantially the same as before and offered identical performance.

Please captain ...slightly better knowlwdge of searching google!!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Normally I mentioned the source and I have mentioned it here.

But I knew this thing exist..long back saw in a sony's catalog
Also read a article about it in some audio mag where it was compared with Nakamichi!

If you like vintage electronics and walkman please check this site

Vintage Electronics Have Soul - The Pocket Calculator Show Website
"The generation of electronics with a soul!"

However, to raise the quality to the high level demanded, the mechanism was upgraded by fitting a disc drive capstan servo similar to that of the TC-D5. Inevitably all the parts had to be made smaller, but the principles remained the same. One would have thought that this would be enough, but the designers took the disc drive concept one stage further and made it quartz controlled. At a stroke, this removed any possibility of drift or error, and gave the WM-D6 perfect speed accuracy under all conditions.
WOW ! must be an expensive walkman.

But quartz control Servo motor needs constant adjustments in speed which creates jerky motion. That's why some high end turntables have rubber belt driven platter which dampens this.
Personally I have not noticed any difference between belt drive and direct drive turntable.
Regards

Thanks Hemant for that update on the models WM-D6 and WM-D6C. I had dolby C in my machine, and I bought it in 1990, so mine was a WM-D6C (introduced in 1984, as per your link).

I do not have the data with me, but it was rather big compared with the usual Walkman kind of cassette players/recorders, at least twice as large both in length and breadth. Height is between an inch and inch and a half I think. In addition, it is much heavier even for that size. So, in the conventional sense it is not portable (if portable means pocketable).

I mostly used it for recording live music using an external stereo microphone and a small pre-amp (both from a small Dutch company called "Prefer"). The recording quality was at par with my big deck.

As Thad pointed out, as far as I remember, it has only a Headphone out. I used that to connect it to my amp and listen through my Canton speakers using 1mini-to-2 connector stereo cable (nothing special, the Chandni variety).

The concern expressed by Hiten in his earlier mail regarding contancy of tape rotation speed is genuine and valid for the cheaper Walkman variety, but in the case case of the Sony Pro Walkman (WM-D6 and WM-D6C), it seems to have been well taken care of, judging by Hemant's source (I found that site and read the information provided).

And yes, Hiten, it was expensive. I spent DM 800 (equivalent of USD 500-600 I think) in 1990 in Germany while my 3-head in 1989 cost me around DM650-700. The lowest Nakamichi's started at around DM 800 (if I remember correctly) and they were not 3-heads.

Well despite having 2 working cassette decks at the moment (Nakamichi RX505 and an Onkyo) I am still interested in getting one in good condition if I can afford it, because I do a lot of live recording, although my newly acquired Sony PCM D50 is a very very good one (as mentioned in my previous post in this thread) and gives very clean recording I think it is slightly leaner in bass (although a good external microphone may improve it) and the WM-D6 perhaps had slightly better recording ability. The only gripe here is that I have only a handful of unopened good quality metal/chrome cassettes left for recording and they are no longer usually available in the stores and of course maintaining the cassettes has been a headache (I have quite a lot of Sony normal bias 90 minutes cassettes still playing quite okay and music was recorded on them in 1981-83).

Regards.

WOW ! must be an expensive walkman.

But quartz control Servo motor needs constant adjustments in speed which creates jerky motion. That's why some high end turntables have rubber belt driven platter which dampens this.
Personally I have not noticed any difference between belt drive and direct drive turntable.
Regards

Hiten I just copy-pastedthe infi:clapping::clapping::clapping:,and not the right person to make any technical comments ,,esp when you are making it as in our discussions I realized your grasp on analogue technologies!
Ditto about Asit as many of Asits posts are "bumper" for me,and I have no shame admitting it!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Update and Corrections

Mine is the WM-D6C --- and it has separate line in and line out sockets.

Having delved into the back of my seldom-used gadget cupboard, I'll try and post some photos.

I did not previously know that it would take a Sony NiCad battery. Wish I had known!

@ Hemantbhai ~ I am newbie too, and only posted what I learned from forum and net.
@ Thad ~ Thats great ! A walkman with line out, Dolby noise reduction and level indicator. (Saw the specs on the net :))
No wonder they are selling for 600$ in mint condition.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back