Microsoft Surface Family

Nikhil

Staff member
I am looking at getting a Microsoft Surface Pro 9 or Laptop for my work and wanted to enquire if anyone here has used them. We have generally standardized on MS products in our company and hence wanted to try out a Surface Pro for my travel purposes. I generally use a desktop both at home and at work but need to have a good portable device for when I need to travel.

Online reviews seem to indicate that the products are still in a nascent stage. Product support also does not seem to be at the expected level.
Will be happy to learn from any fellow FMs who have used the product.

Regards

I am looking at getting a Microsoft Surface Pro 9 or Laptop for my work and wanted to enquire if anyone here has used them. We have generally standardized on MS products in our company and hence wanted to try out a Surface Pro for my travel purposes. I generally use a desktop both at home and at work but need to have a good portable device for when I need to travel.

Online reviews seem to indicate that the products are still in a nascent stage. Product support also does not seem to be at the expected level.
Will be happy to learn from any fellow FMs who have used the product.

Regards

My boss uses a surface pro. Everything is pretty standard when it comes to performance and access. From What I gathered, it is better having a small 12/13 inch touchscreen laptop. I use a Dell Latitude which works like a charm at work and also on the days I need to work from home!

I am a user of a surface pro6 and surface arc mouse since last 5 years. I have never faced any problem. Excellent travel companion that has travelled with me half way around the world. The fabric keypad though is tearing up from the edges now.

I second what @efernand1 says. I have been using the surface 7 pro on and off and though it is nice as it doubles up as a laptop with full fledged windows with a touchscreen. However I would still recommend a lightweight laptop from any of the mainstream brands. Service support is non existent and in India. Accessories are costly, not a mainstream product so you would face smaller range of accessories and the same. Further you would need a type cover with it. Limited storage, gets hot with prolonged use or charging, very limited no of ports. So you can buy the same or go with a ultrabook which is easier to upgrade too :)

I think also that Windows is not designed as a touch OS therefore touchscreen is not of much importance but nowadays with the presenter and the pens it may have some use case for some people.

i used a surface for several years..even bought the pen for it but returned. But I prefer a regular laptop preferably Macbook air or even the Samsung Galaxy book.

I am looking at getting a Microsoft Surface Pro 9 or Laptop for my work and wanted to enquire if anyone here has used them.
Note that its a model running behind on the generation of chips they use from Intel. If you look outside the Microsoft space, you'll find newer, more up to date specifications. Also, I don't necessarily find Microsoft products working in harmony, or as good as say a Mac eco system.

If you must stay with a Windows laptop, look for a HP Probook or Asus. You'll pay a little more and you'll get a much better product.

For windows check Dell xps & Lenovo Yoga both are light weight, reliable, feature rich [thunder bolt ports, high speed nvme ssd, good thermal management] and good company support. I am using Yoga myself for past 6 years. Now there are oled offerings as well.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. So good to get reliable feedback.
Unfortunately, my apprehensions of the Microsoft Surface platform seems to be borne out by others.

I've been using Dell Latitude laptops for a while now and will keep on with the next refresh cycle. Might look at the lower end XPS models to see if they have what I am looking for. My use of laptops has reduced over the years - quite literally only for when I need to type out a formal communication via email when I am travelling mostly. For the rest of my work, I usually default to my desktops or mobile.

My use of laptops has reduced over the years - quite literally only for when I need to type out a formal communication via email when I am travelling mostly. For the rest of my work, I usually default to my desktops or mobile.
I feel like the Apple iPad with their magnetic keyboard accessory will be a better solution for you than any laptop. Ultra light, super long battery life and a great display.

Removable Keyboard is a lil tacky but you'll get used to it. Service is top notch with global warranty.
Did you end up picking one yet?

Removable Keyboard is a lil tacky but you'll get used to it. Service is top notch with global warranty.
Did you end up picking one yet?

Unfortunately no. The feedback on here and elsewhere was not encouraging.

I'm starting to favour a small form factor desktop machine. But the problem here is the standard graphics chips are very average. I've found that I like to have a proper graphics card installed that gives me a good high quality display. After some testing, I've found that the new generation Core i5 chips have enough juice to run whatever I need.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back