Mesh Router questions

jaiwant_alex

I am looking to buy a mesh system as I have moved into a new place which has a size and layout where my current set up (TP Link Archer 5400 + Extender) is not cutting it anymore in terms consistent coverage and speed

I will need a 3 pack mesh system to make things work and would like some feedback from current users before I take a plunge

Most mesh systems available now are Wifi 6 (AX). There are only a few Wifi 5 (AC) models available, and there seems to be a significant price differential between the two. I can think of two reasons why getting an AX model would be overkill for me:

1) None of my devices are Wifi6. All manufacturers claim that the routers are backwards compatible but im not sure what that really means in terms of performance.
2) The Wifi 6 (AX) models are claiming impressive speeds (~2400 Mbps) but I have a 450 Mbps connection as of now and may at most upgrade to a 1000 Mbps.

Given the above, would like to hear from users
-if using wifi5 devices on a wifi6 network is sub optimal in any way
-what are the strengths/benefits of an AX system which could justify the price premium (given that the higher speeds advertised are not available to be actually used)

I have narrowed down on some possible candidates. Asus ZenWifi XT 8, though highly rated is not included as its only 2 pack and adding a satellite would make the total cost prohibitive. Would appreciate feedback from owners of any of these.

AX Models
TP Link Deco XE75 Pro – AX5400
Netgear Orbi RBK753 – AX4200

AC Models
Netgear Orbi RBK53 – AC3000
TP Link Deco X20 V3 – AC 1800

I use a Netgear Orbi Ax4200 - 2nos and it give wide coverage with no drops. Quick config and never had any issues very stable

I have been using the :

TP-Link Deco Whole Home Mesh WiFi System Up to 5,500 sq. ft. Coverage and 100+ Devices, 1267 Mbps, Dual Band Wireless Router/WiFi Extender Replacement, Support Parental Controls/Anitivirus(Deco M5)​

for the past 2 + years with no issues

The AX would be the way I would go to future proof the setup. Even without wifi6 at present, I had read ( correct me if I am wrong) that speed is not the AX s only benefit, its also the range.

While I use a mesh router, in many cases its not needed. Using a router and a series of wireless access point works much better and significantly cheaper and you are not limited to two or three you can add any number of them.

While I use a mesh router, in many cases its not needed. Using a router and a series of wireless access point works much better and significantly cheaper and you are not limited to two or three you can add any number of them.
It will be cheaper for sure but with mesh it's seamless, the whole house is covered with a single network and your device need not disconnect and connect to the strongest connection close by
i was using 1 router and one extender then switched over to https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07L45LZP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and this is way better than earlier setup, works seamlessly throughout ( approx 2000 sqft carpet area) for all my devices (10 devices including HT)

I think you are confused with what a WAP does.
Refer this thread
If you have an option for wired connections in various rooms, WAP will give you better performance at lower costs.
Wireless Extenders are worse than both as the wifi signals get degraded.
In case we have no option of wired connections is it still possible to configure the same ssid for all the WAP and use it?
or
if there is no option of wired connections between the main router and the AP's , does it then make sense to just pick up a mesh system?

Are there any mesh systems that come with a optical ethernet out port, to connect to streamers please :)
You can connect a media converter to any non-mesh router / mesh routers with normal ethernet port to get optical out. Something like these

You also get these in pairs where you can connect any (non-optical at one and and optical at other end and vice versa)

@jaiwant_alex, I would recommend look at Asus, even though they are expensive, they are rock solid and their AiMesh is something you can extend over time.
Also if you want it to be future proof, see if you can buy a TriBand mesh system, in a tri-band system, you will have a dedicated band for back-haul. This can be skipped if you dont have ethernet cables around the house.

If you are technically inclined and willing to learn networking, look at Mikrotik Audience, for the price it is really great.. but you will have to spend some time setting it up.. (think of it as Mac vs Linux, maybe a bit exagrated but you get the idea) ..

Oh, a optical fibre port. That I know. For some reason, I had visions of some sort of optical transmitter inside a RJ45 port 😂... I know, don't ask.
But for these tiny tiny lengths, why would fibre networking be a good idea? Conversely, wouldn't the multiple conversion interfaces be possible sources of noise/contamination?

@jaiwant_alex, I would recommend look at Asus, even though they are expensive, they are rock solid and their AiMesh is something you can extend over time.
Also if you want it to be future proof, see if you can buy a TriBand mesh system, in a tri-band system, you will have a dedicated band for back-haul. This can be skipped if you dont have ethernet cables around the house.

If you are technically inclined and willing to learn networking, look at Mikrotik Audience, for the price it is really great.. but you will have to spend some time setting it up.. (think of it as Mac vs Linux, maybe a bit exagrated but you get the idea) ..
100% agree with you. Asus AiMesh is the way to go, rock solid.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back