Are Two Sub Woofers must for Perfect Stereo?

it all depends in the source output. Some sources, rare though will have separate subwoofer outputs for left and right channels. But the most common is the monoaural single subwoofer output. Even this can be split and fed separately to left and right channels.

Yes, two dedicated subs will technically be superior to a single one, but that much more difficult to place and integrate. A single subwoofer is the most practical, in terms of integration, cost and most importantly space.

In my setup I have used a single sub kept at the center. I don't have a dedicated sub out on the source, so xo is set on the active subwoofer and I have done the integration with my ears with respect to matching sound level, crossover and phase with my bookshelf speakers.

Similarly in my car audio, due to constrain of space and power, I have used two 7 inch midbass in an isobaric configuration as a subwoofer. It is in the boot and powered by a 50 watt RMS TPA3116D2 board. The integration is done on my active Eclipse head unit

Kannan, have you modified your Infinity Book shelves to match the XO which you set on the Sub? Thanks.

Not for sub, but have made a small alteration with respect to the tweeters as I has modded the Infinity

My friend got 8" woofer (4 ohms) and a 3" tweeter ( 8 ohms) of Indian made . He wants to make DIY bookshelf with first order crossover(only with a capacitor between woofer and tweeter) Can he use the two speakers of 4 & 8 ohms as two way? Or should be used in the same impedance? Thanks.

yes, on a 6db where only the tweeters are crossed, he can use a cap. The tweeter being 8 ohm is actually an advantage with respect to spl and you can do without a LPad or an attenuator.

Since I do not have the f/s of the tweeters, I would say at 6db cross around 4khz. You can use a 5 micro farad cap. Don't get cheap caps, get a good one from theaudiocrafts.com.

See if you can add an inductor across the woofer. A value of around 0.15mH should do fine.

How well it will sound I cannot say.

yes, on a 6db where only the tweeters are crossed, he can use a cap. The tweeter being 8 ohm is actually an advantage with respect to spl and you can do without a LPad or an attenuator.

Since I do not have the f/s of the tweeters, I would say at 6db cross around 4khz. You can use a 5 micro farad cap. Don't get cheap caps, get a good one from theaudiocrafts.com.

See if you can add an inductor across the woofer. A value of around 0.15mH should do fine.

How well it will sound I cannot say.

Thank you, I will convey to my friend. Regards.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back