Are we going to have an endless medical inflation?

Ironic that we are talking about pricey medical services on an audio hifi forum where the cost of 1 metre power cables can equal that of a bypass surgery...
There are threads on how Luxman amps cost lakhs too. Those are dime a dozen and this general lounge can accomodate one thread about this topic. Can't it?

There are threads on how Luxman amps cost lakhs too. Those are dime a dozen and this general lounge can accomodate one thread about this topic. Can't it?
Yes it can, and I don't think anyone is saying that this topic or thread is invalid/irrelevant. I for one appreciate this topic especially since I used (still am) to be one who thought medical costs at most places are very high. But many posts in this thread have made me see the rationale behind those costs. I still think the costs are high though.
A similar medical service was costing Rs.500 at most a few years ago. Now it is 8 times as much. A flight ticket to Delhi costing 5k five years ago is priced 6k now. Not much of a "inflation" here.
So, let me understand this - you're saying that the cost of a similar medical service at the same place was 500 a few years ago vs 4000 now? How many years is a few? Just trying to wrap my head around this.

Yes it can, and I don't think anyone is saying that this topic or thread is invalid/irrelevant. I for one appreciate this topic especially since I used (still am) to be one who thought medical costs at most places are very high. But many posts in this thread have made me see the rationale behind those costs. I still think the costs are high though.

So, let me understand this - you're saying that the cost of a similar medical service at the same place was 500 a few years ago vs 4000 now? How many years is a few? Just trying to wrap my head around this.
Around 2020, during the lock down. "Ironic" was used. Not invalid or irrelevant. Akshat Srivastava the youtuber has covered "medical inflation" with examples a year or so ago. Anyways, I am not interested in this thread anymore after being slapped with personal attacks.

Of course it can and nobody has a problem. But as I must have mentioned in those Luxman threads that we should not buy those pricey amplifiers if we feel the pricing is absurd, I reiterate my stand here as well. There are enough lower priced hospitals as SDK pointed out which may not be as clean and fancy looking but the service is still quite similar... the same is the case with chole bhature and chowmein as well as watches, suits, cars, atta etc etc etc... If someone feels an investment banker's job in a Goldman Sachs is paying too much extra money, they should avoid Goldman Sachs and get a job in Pyaare Lal stockbroking associates..

Again since you started this thread ,I am commneting on the thread and nothing personal against you as I have never met you.. My apologies for using the word ironic but I couldn't think of any better word and also I found it a bit funny...

Of course it can and nobody has a problem. But as I must have mentioned in those Luxman threads that we should not buy those pricey amplifiers if we feel the pricing is absurd, I reiterate my stand here as well. There are enough lower priced hospitals as SDK pointed out which may not be as clean and fancy looking but the service is still quite similar... the same is the case with chole bhature and chowmein as well as watches, suits, cars, atta etc etc etc... If someone feels an investment banker's job in a Goldman Sachs is paying too much extra money, they should avoid Goldman Sachs and get a job in Pyaare Lal stockbroking associates..

Again since you started this thread ,I am commneting on the thread and nothing personal against you as I have never met you.. My apologies for using the word ironic but I couldn't think of any better word and also I found it a bit funny...
Well expressed comparisons. It’s a bit sad though that health care services have become a commodity similar to those mentioned.
I guess it was inevitable once people started realising doctors were not gods 😎

I didnt mention you as having attacked personally. Pls read some replies and you will understand. And Panditji, when a symptom of chest pain comes to the choffeur while driving a car, i dont think we have a luxury or choice to reach the closest govt hospital. It has to be the closest medical facility. Its not your chowmein or chole bature analogy where in you have a choice.

Well expressed comparisons. It’s a bit sad though that health care services have become a commodity similar to those mentioned.
I guess it was inevitable once people started realising doctors were not gods 😎
What you need to understand if that society inherently dislikes the Medical fraternity and resents paying someone to keep them healthy or to relieve them from self inflicted maladies

When the consumer protection act was expanded to include the field of medicine most people were thrilled to bits that now the doctors will get their just desserts

Doctors who relied on their clinical experience were regularly getting screwed in courts where the lawyers would sarcastically ask why standard protocols were not followed, textbooks were brandished and some academic would be brought forward who should testify on all the supposed mistakes

The lawyer and the patient would never mention how the patient begged and cried that he couldn't afford the tests and scans and to try conservative treatment for a few days before collecting money for the same. If the patient deteriorates in the meantime then sue the doctor and hospital

In a country like India these champions of consumer protection act had no clue of the backlash where everything will go by the book and if unaffordable, how sad too bad

People can't have it both ways, no doctor ever asked to be treated like God, but once society makes the patient a customer and consumer, the corollary is that the doctor and hospital will become a vendor or retailer

Society can't have it's cake and eat it too, on one hand they want the power to sue the doctor and ruin his career and finances. And at the same time wants him to treat the patient, disease, pocket and circumstances with a humane touch

Give it a few more years and people will talk of these days fondly when they find that the insurance companies will rule over them and neither the doctor not the patients will have any decision making rights

To be forthright i take all the points in the medical providers' stand point however I do not accept being told "whigning" - its just an example I provided and I dont stand losing my wealth by the 4k bill either but for the sub Rs.1000 a day wage earning person, a 4k bill is a steep hill to climb, a week's income gone if I hadnt offered to pay the bill. No pats in the back or feel good factor intended but all i am saying is for the lower income groups medical inflation is a point of concern. As you said I can just walk away saying a reasonable adult responsibility to fend for himself however if it were a reasonable Rs.1000 bill not withstanding the argument of yours of Rs.300 average to be paid for ayah, nurses, wardboy, supplies and water dispenser etc... by the lesser privileged individual. The muccaine, Pan D are the necessary line itens, a doctor consult, a grand total of Rs.1000 is a bill he can afford. Hospitals too have white elephant infra to account for. And i understand their plight too. Maybe insurance companies will be the winners eventually like you point out. Suddenly I remember towards the turn of the millenium, Aetna's then CEO, Dr.John Rowe deciding IMRTs were not medically necessary and made hospitals go near bankrupt with patients billed hefty amounts but now a days is covered. Inflation continues in this field with no answers but to be part of this faultline due to technological evolution whereby it tends towards a dog eat dog world. Not whigning again but just giving an account of how things are going away from hands of low wage income class if they were to land up in such sancta sectorum, a spider's web.

Rushing to exhibit your ignorance about govt audit is what causes such posts. All tertiary care hospitals, at least in Mumbai, will have a board in the OPD itself about the number of free beds and how many are occupied. Failing these audits causes fines in lakhs to the hospital, it's cheaper to admit poor patients than to not

These beds are filled by references from social workers and local politicians who certify that the patient is poor

If you feel that rich patients lie and get admitted through such politicians, then it's not the hospital's fault as they necessarily have to admit all patients whose paperwork is correct.

If actual beneficiaries are not getting beds then it's our fault to elect such politicians and not the hospital's

Case in point, my carpenter's son managed to slice his thumb into 2 with a circular saw

Hinduja hospital quoted 4.5L as emergency fees to do the reattachment fees by calling the whole plastic and microsurgery team at midnight to attach the thumb again

After agreeing to these fees and getting the surgery done, my carpenter who had told me that his income for that year was 29L, went to the local MLA the next day and got the social worker to waive off all charges by claiming to be poor

Other than 50K for consumables used in the surgery and after, no one got paid anything.

The plastic surgeon must have felt like a chump for getting out of the warm embrace of his wife to work for free in an emergency

And so did i because I contributed 10K by withdrawing money late at night and delivering it to him at his house because he claimed that he did not have money. Even though the accident happened when the boy was moonlighting at some other site and i had nothing to do with it
Hope this account does not lead some to cry “appeasement of the poor”

What you need to understand if that society inherently dislikes the Medical fraternity and resents paying someone to keep them healthy or to relieve them from self inflicted maladies
Conflating discontent with the quality, cost of healthcare with an assumption that everyone dislikes medical fraternity is untrue, harmful and dangerous.

As an earlier post pointed out most medical professionals are employees and have little to say on the final cost paid by the patients.
“Self inflicted maladies”? Come on brother. We can do better than that.

This is obviously a complex issue that raises uncomfortable questions and if we are not careful, provokes emotional responses.

let me stick to a single line here. ....endless medical inflation?
yes , this is true . I've witnessed it , like , it started with consultations fees 200 to 1100 in the span of 5 years. similar was with one of the procedures.
Damn! , my 5 year NSC certificates does not keep up with the same trajectory.:)

I didnt mention you as having attacked personally. Pls read some replies and you will understand. And Panditji, when a symptom of chest pain comes to the choffeur while driving a car, i dont think we have a luxury or choice to reach the closest govt hospital. It has to be the closest medical facility. Its not your chowmein or chole bature analogy where in you have a choice.
Dear sir, you did the right thing at that point of time. However you and I may choose a fancy hospital while the lesser income bracket would choose a govt/cheaper hospital depending on their pocket. Life is all about making choices. For a sub Rs.1000 a day wage earner, going to a Dhirubhai Ambani hospital would be a wrong and a bad choice and the it would be a bad choice for the sub Rs. 1000 wage earner to eat Chole Bhature at the Oberoi hotel on Marine Drive...

Jokes apart, EVERYTHING has become expensive but we all make choices depending on our pocket. A Luxman 505UX I bought in Japan in 2016 is now 3x that price from the same shop in Tokyo in November..I chose not to buy it as it was not worth the money...

Dear sir, you did the right thing at that point of time. However you and I may choose a fancy hospital while the lesser income bracket would choose a govt/cheaper hospital depending on their pocket. Life is all about making choices. For a sub Rs.1000 a day wage earner, going to a Dhirubhai Ambani hospital would be a wrong and a bad choice and the it would be a bad choice for the sub Rs. 1000 wage earner to eat Chole Bhature at the Oberoi hotel on Marine Drive...

Jokes apart, EVERYTHING has become expensive but we all make choices depending on our pocket. A Luxman 505UX I bought in Japan in 2016 is now 3x that price from the same shop in Tokyo in November..I chose not to buy it as it was not worth the money...
Even education has undergone huge inflation.

This is purely a governance issue. Shouldn't governments categorize what is essential vs what is optional luxury? Cost of medical services must be controlled the way cost of petrol is - every service provider must provide services within a price range similar to how it is done with petrol. Hospitals should not be allowed to run the business how 5-star hotels are.

This is purely a governance issue. Shouldn't governments categorize what is essential vs what is optional luxury? Cost of medical services must be controlled the way cost of petrol is - every service provider must provide services within a price range similar to how it is done with petrol. Hospitals should not be allowed to run the business how 5-star hotels are.
Isn't is wonderful how closet communists come out from under the rocks to regulate medicos but at the same time want all the benefits of capitalism for themselves

Please could you tell me the educational qualifications of the last 3 generations of your family, the colleges they studied in, your current designation and salary along with all the details of serving society that your family does on a daily basis

Isn't is wonderful how closet communists come out from under the rocks to regulate medicos but at the same time want all the benefits of capitalism for themselves

Please could you tell me the educational qualifications of the last 3 generations of your family, the colleges they studied in, your current designation and salary along with all the details of serving society that your family does on a daily basis
That was not necessary. You have ended this discussion

It has not

All the govt aided schools in my area, including the school i studied in, are still charging low fees

Now if your ego and keeping up with the jonses means that you want IB, Cambridge, ICSE, CBSE schools for your children and then complain that the fees are in lakhs then we come back to the start of this thread, that is to admit children into govt or govt aided schools

Jitna chadar, utna pair

Yes it has! Look at the proliferation of educational institutions compared to what we had some time ago. When I went to school, in the locality where I grew up there were A, B and C schools and all of us went to either of them. The fees were affordable to all middle class parents because they were run to provide a service and not with the sole intention of making a profit.
When my daughter went to school, in the same locality, there were A, B, C.... K schools. Out of A, B and C, A and B still charged fees that were reasonable (of course much higher than my time, because inflation), C got bought over by a education "trust" and charged higher than A and B and the new ones which sprung up, charged obscene (to me) fees. Almost all of my peers sent their kids to the new schools. I followed suit and now in hindsight regret it a lot. If I had sent my kid to either of A, B and C she would have got the same level of education but I chose unwisely. That's on ME and not on the new schools. But on the bright side, I'd like to think that we now have a choice among many. We just have to exercise it wisely.

I think you're questions are out of line and I think you should not continue treading the path you're embarking on.

That was not necessary. You have ended this discussion
It is extremely necessary to counter such horse manure

My father retired the same year i graduated

Without a pension, i became the sole earner in the house

The gratuity he recieved went into buying me the shop

The equipment and interiors were done by me with a bank loan

And you expect me to accept restrictions on my practice and income imposed by these fat cat Johnny come lately

Not happening

What these pseudo bleeding hearts should actually be doing is taking people under their wing and paying for their treatment, education, clothes etc

What they actually are proposing is stealing money from me and my family to massage their ego of being considerate about society

It is extremely necessary to counter such horse manure

My father retired the same year i graduated

Without a pension, i became the sole earner in the house

The gratuity he recieved went into buying me the shop

The equipment and interiors were done by me with a bank loan

And you expect me to accept restrictions on my practice and income imposed by these fat cat Johnny come lately

Not happening

What these pseudo bleeding hearts should actually be doing is taking people under their wing and paying for their treatment, education, clothes etc

What they actually are proposing is stealing money from me and my family to massage their ego of being considerate about society
You are reacting as if you are the only soul in India that is in trouble. And trust me, ModiJi does not take my suggestions seriously.
If you wanted to hurt my feelings, you will be glad to know that you were successful in doing that.

You are reacting as if someone id PMO is looking at this thread.

Back