Are we paying way to high margins?

All I am saying is be aware.

Investors margin

Are you buying directly from the distributor when you are close to US rates or slightly below it (which is the real US rate since in the US too you get 10-20% discount)? Don't have to reveal the names but I am curious. Or is the distributor the dealer like say AV vision etc.

These are dealers and distributors in India....mostly Mumbai based....i have known them for years now and have passed on many leads etc. So it helps....minimum i get 20% off and depending on how latest / outdated is the product, i push for more discount.....before i go to them...i do my research on pricing within India and abroad...then i use my negotiation skills :)

Well, the culprit has always been or always will be our infamous customs duty and other misc charges they levy. All the electronics we consume in today's age especially HiFi audio are all imported and none made locally. Do throw some light if any of the popular brands have local shops here for manufacturing - I don't think so. While inflated margins are a problem yes, the core issue is still the import duty. Local dealers also take into account the promise of warranty for which you pay a premium and it is also what you majorly compromise when you import yourself or hand carry it when arriving from another country. All said and done, the prices here are never accessible. For instance when I was in the market for a 4K projector, I was able to find one for less than a Lakh from US while the same one is retailing for over 2.2 lakh here!

at the end of the day ....if the imported audio gear does not work ...then the indian distributor will not fix it ..in case u get it fixed from some other source ...the parts will not be original and that will impact the sound quality ...

Goo to see the Rant topics come up every six moths or so. Puts me in the right mood to listen to music...LOL!

Dear Sir, even if you buy from an Indian dealer/distributor, the product will not be fixed...I have shared a number of times an example where the Nagra Mono blocks bought locally at an outrageous price were never fixed (This is some years back and the dealer before Cadence).. If the item is heavy like heavy duty amps and speakers, the distributors keep delaying hoping that you get fed up as the cost to send the damaged part to and fro from the country of manufacture is huge... So they do charge premiums for service and warranty but you still don't get it..Instead it is better to buy abroad and just incase something goes wrong, you can easily gift yourself a holiday and get the product fixed by taking it to the retailer from whom you bought it... You might still end up saving money after that in case of high end products....

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back