Asus O!Play

1000w

All,
Finally got my Asus O!Play last week and has been working great since. To be frank have not tried much HD content with it as its connected to my old 29" CRT TV.
So far have only played SD content on it and it does look nice. I have my audio collection in FLAC and mp3 format and they all worked great. Most of video material are kids stuff. Earlier had to use my home PC or laptop for my daughter to see them but now this works like a charm, even she is able to operate it!

It came with with firmware 1.07, upgraded to 1.1 and now I have networking and upnp enabled. Will try out the networking features when I get time.

Can anyone point me to good HD material which I can use to check the unit. I plan to take it to a friends place who as a FullHD TV.
Manish

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I now have Asus O!Play

All,
Finally got my Asus O!Play last week and has been working great since. To be frank have not tried much HD content with it as its connected to my old 29" CRT TV.
So far have only played SD content on it and it does look nice. I have my audio collection in FLAC and mp3 format and they all worked great. Most of video material are kids stuff. Earlier had to use my home PC or laptop for my daughter to see them but now this works like a charm, even she is able to operate it!

It came with with firmware 1.07, upgraded to 1.1 and now I have networking and upnp enabled. Will try out the networking features when I get time.

Can anyone point me to good HD material which I can use to check the unit. I plan to take it to a friends place who as a FullHD TV.
Manish

Hi,

Ok I give you a deal.

Get your player to my place, we will test it to the max level, and you get to take home FULL HD movies,demos,documentaries, music videos...............

:lol::lol::lol: My main criterea is not the deal, but curious the see the product.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:
cheers

Aneel,
Thats a sweet deal, like they say an unbeatable offer. Yes would surely like to compare it with other devices out there. I will keep you posted on when we can meet.
Thanks for the offer.
-M

Congrates :clapping:,

Suggestion-
Why cant members from Banglore have comparision btween mediaplayers?

Many have WDTV,Xstremer, Ryon & now Asus.
There is grp meeting & may this test get included.

Yes, Best suggestion by Spiro..... Which we can conclude to something rather than discussing a lot for so many days:lol:

Not sure if this happened as I was travelling and am pretty much occupied for the next two weekends, can spare time after that. Let me know if someone still wants to take lead and I can bring the box over once I get free.
A shootout will really benefit all,
-Manish

.........Let me know if someone still wants to take lead and I can bring the box over once I get free.
A shootout will really benefit all,
-Manish

Yeah!! I'm still waiting.:licklips:

Somebody in this forum also told that they will the get the WDTV Live to my place.........but no news from that person also.

cheers.

Hi,
I will be interested to have a look and see its featuers too. Probably media player will be in my "buying list" next time!!!
Do let me know the date of demo.
thanks

@sivakuru
@vinshar
Yes that seems to be the case that the fw enables the already available wifi option and also I see another menu which says card reader (remember the wifi version of this box has a built in card reader!)
I dont have a USB wifi dongle and have not tried it though. But the info from other forums is that it works fine.
yes the problem is that once you upgrade the fw there is every possibility that this feature might go, but unless I find the new updates to be too tempting or have major issue which requires an upgrade I dont plan to.
I should have file lying somewhere, will check and revert.
-Manish

Hello Friends,

I posted a new thread here few days back to select between WD player and others. Many has suggested me to go for WD.

Today I went to SP road to check if I can get it from there. But to my surprise no t a single piece was there. Only at one shop, I found Asus player and they were quoting 5850 for that. Not too sure whether the price was for O!play Air for the other one. May be for HDP-R1

Compare to any other brand, it looks pretty cheap to me. But surely that price is still stuck on my mind and now I am in dilemma.

So friends, I need your help to choose between, WD and Asus.
I will mainly play file formats of .avi, .m2ts, .mkv and .vob formats. I would like to know whether Asus player is capable of playing these file formats or not. Also how is the Audio quality through LCD TV?

Thanks in advance.

I have this and its been fine with all the formats (mkv, avi, flac, mp3/4......) thrown at it. For the price its a good buy.
If you are particular abt wifi then go in with the next version. There are no additional features apart from wifi for the price increase.
This is now selling for <80USD and if you know someone ask them to pick it up for you. The best part is the power supply is universal and will work in India.
-Manish

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before. Can Asus O Play pass through HD Audio ie., DTS MA HD, Dolby True HD in 5.1, 7.1 etc?

I think it was not there earlier, but a firmware update fixed that. My receiver does not do these new formats so unable to check.
But lemme check the release notes of the new firmware and should get some info there.
_Manish

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back