Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard - experience

Man, the OPA1612a with a pair of OPA1642 on the stx completely blows away the midrange of the default stx and d2x. The midrange is SO RICH AND WIDE, it's almost tubelike thick juicy lower mid and upper midrange!!!

The only two issues with this OP AMP combination is low frequencies have VERY poor grip / texture compared to the default stx and d2x op amps, but the midrange so utterly rich ughhh, finally hearing the kind of midrange my vintage philips tube setup puts out. I don't care about the lower freqs anymore LOL, I love it.

2nd issue is preamp has to be lowered to 50% to avoid clipping distortion artifacts which start appearing around 70% as a result my ca840a amp is driven to -20 out of -100 db.

Last edited:
Try with opa2107 it's really great. I am having them both in IV and DB section of my xonar stx.

What is the sound signature compared to stock?

Compared with stock, 2107 provides typical BB laid-back but much clearer bass, midrange and highs. In my experience it's simply outstanding in comparision with other op-maps I have tested yet with STX, I could listen to music for countless hours without any sign of fatigue with this op-amp. Soon I am going to roll 627/637 and see what's the perforamce but till then for me 2107 is beauty with brain :).

Regards

... Soon I am going to roll 627/637 and see what's the perforamce but till then for me 2107 is beauty with brain :).

Regards

Hi Xiro,
I'll be eagerly waiting for your impressions reg 627 (I assume they are the BB OPA627 /637). I believe 627 is single op-amp so you'll need to put two of these on a DIP-8 adapter... please correct me if I am wrong;)

Regds,

Hi Xiro,
I'll be eagerly waiting for your impressions reg 627 (I assume they are the BB OPA627 /637). I believe 627 is single op-amp so you'll need to put two of these on a DIP-8 adapter... please correct me if I am wrong;)
Regds,

Hi Sonosphere,
Yes it's BB opa627/637 single channel hi-precision op-amp. I will be changing to these op-amp probably by next week, sure I will post my experience here.

Regards

Compared with stock, 2107 provides typical BB laid-back but much clearer bass, midrange and highs. In my experience it's simply outstanding in comparision with other op-maps I have tested yet with STX, I could listen to music for countless hours without any sign of fatigue with this op-amp. Soon I am going to roll 627/637 and see what's the perforamce but till then for me 2107 is beauty with brain :).

Regards

I agree , OPA2107 is the most complete opamp ever made which sounds good without overdoing any frequency range. It seems like it is the best opamp ever made that appeals to most of the people. 627 sounds a little bright to my ears.

Any of you care to post measurements for the changes you are making.

For me, the whole point of going for the essence was its Neutral/transparent character and ultra low noise. If these mods are not sticking to that goal, well, I might as well buy a cheap sound card and not waste my money.

I agree , OPA2107 is the most complete opamp ever made which sounds good without overdoing any frequency range. It seems like it is the best opamp ever made that appeals to most of the people. 627 sounds a little bright to my ears.

Isn't the burson HD considered the best?

$(KGrHqN,!h0E6HQpQFj7BOqOIn,o3Q~~60_35.JPG

Any of you care to post measurements for the changes you are making.

For me, the whole point of going for the essence was its Neutral/transparent character and ultra low noise. If these mods are not sticking to that goal, well, I might as well buy a cheap sound card and not waste my money.

I don't think stock op-amp on xonar stx gives you Neutral/transparent reproduction of audio signals. I have found them with harsh high, subdued mid and flattned low.

Regards

I don't think stock op-amp on xonar stx gives you Neutral/transparent reproduction of audio signals. I have found them with harsh high, subdued mid and flattned low.

Regards

Well, the frequency response as per asus is ruler flat. That could mean that their measurements/data are not correct. That could also mean that your reference system (to which you are comparing) has recessed highs, raised mids and raised lows.
e.g. if you are used to exaggerated lows (someone with liking to specific genres have this techno, rock, metal etc, or someone's been listening to such a system for a long time), a neutral gear's lows will sound like they dont exist et al or very subdued.
The reference system is the key here. Hence the request for measurements.

Well, the frequency response as per asus is ruler flat. That could mean that their measurements/data are not correct. That could also mean that your reference system (to which you are comparing) has recessed highs, raised mids and raised lows.
e.g. if you are used to exaggerated lows (someone with liking to specific genres have this techno, rock, metal etc, or someone's been listening to such a system for a long time), a neutral gear's lows will sound like they dont exist et al or very subdued.
The reference system is the key here. Hence the request for measurements.

Just to have a proper context, let me explain few of my terms that I have used in my earlier responses. Also do note that I don't have excotic AMP/SPEAKERS in my gear, but I like them for their performace they do. 5008 is always in pure audio mode while listening to music.

1. Harsh High => High frequency spectrum seems to have added gain while getting processed.

2. Sibdued Mids => Vocal's at it's upper threashold point seems to lack clarity.

3. Flattened Bass => Low frequncy reproduction seems to be artificially clipped hence loosing the details.

I will perform some measurement soon and post my results.

Regards

Hi All,
Some suggestions needed, I am planning to feed digital out optical / coaxial from my HTPC to my DAC (future planned) since being a low profile cabinet I cannot use ST / STX. Hence can anyone recommend which can be a low profile sound card for good digital out and in what form will it be good optical / coaxial?

I'm glad your DAC is still "future planned" and thus you have not already bought something that only accepts coax/optical --- because I don't think there is a half-hight sound card to meet your need. Of course, more extensive exploration than I just did might prove me wrong on this.

If I am not wrong, what can you do?

--- get a bracket with the appropriate sockets and use your motherboard's S/PDIFF output.

--- go USB.

Afaik optical doesn't support higher than 18 bit and hence to get 24/192 you will have to use coaxial.

On the other hand if your purpose is digital output, why don't you consider a good usb-spdif converter like the m2tech hiface? It is considered very good for the purpose.

Hi All,
Some suggestions needed, I am planning to feed digital out optical / coaxial from my HTPC to my DAC (future planned) since being a low profile cabinet I cannot use ST / STX. Hence can anyone recommend which can be a low profile sound card for good digital out and in what form will it be good optical / coaxial?

Hi,
If your requirement is have digital out from your HTPC, why don't you use on board option.

Regards

@tirthankar, thanks I will keep your opinion in mind, but having sound card also implies I can do good recording from tapes / vinyl etc since my TT has USB out.

@xiro, I read on this forum itself that the on board digi out of most mobos do a poor job (transmits wrong bits ? / clock issue, etc) hence some on this forum are using soundcard for better digital out.

but having sound card also implies I can do good recording from tapes / vinyl etc since my TT has USB out.
Actually, no. The fact that your TT has USB out implies that you do not need a sound card.

I assume your TT has analogue out too? Does it have a phono amp built in?

These are possible options:

Built-in phono amp:

TT --> sound card --> PC USB

No built-in phoneo amp:

TT --> phono pre-amp --> PC USB

TT --> PC USB with equalisation in software may be an option too.

But, you cry, we are ending up at USB again!

Yes. And the sound card will have been an external box, which is less confusing to call an audio interface. The thing is that its ADC will be better than one connected to the USB output on your TT.

Even pro kit is increasingly USB...

I read on this forum itself that the on board digi out of most mobos do a poor job (transmits wrong bits ? / clock issue, etc) hence some on this forum are using soundcard for better digital out.
Honestly, I don't know, on this one. Ostensibly, it is digital audio data, ones and zeros. They should all be there, and they should all be in the right order, regardless.

One pro and one con.

pro: All it will cost you is the hassle of locating that bracket with the digital coax connector. You might as well try it.

con: You've brought recording into the question. This means a sound card or audio interface. (and, if you get a good one, why bother with an additional DAC? :D )

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back