Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard - experience

Thad thanks for detailed explaination

I assume your TT has analogue out too? Does it have a phono amp built in?
It is Numark PT01 USB and does have analogue out and I guess a built in phono too.

Ostensibly, it is digital audio data, ones and zeros. They should all be there, and they should all be in the right order, regardless.
Digital Output: Mobo vs. Soundcard

con: You've brought recording into the question. This means a sound card or audio interface. (and, if you get a good one, why bother with an additional DAC? :D )

Please help me find a good sound card, Xonar ST/X would not fit inside my low profile HTPC cabinet, card height must be less than 4 inches. The ASUS ones which have low profile editions seem to be not the best for stereo when it comes to the DAC on board of those.

Digital Output: Mobo vs. Soundcard
Sure. I gave it a couple of pages, and it is the usual hifi/audiophile discussion on such things. Could give you jitter. Likely to be this. Bigger risk of that. Theoretically the other. As one poster pointed out, it is all assumptions. Pro/semi-pro discussions and articles on this sort of thing tend to be, if not factual, then, at least based on experience.

Having said that, it was a pro audio engineer who told me that he does not use laptop built-in digital outs, but hangs an external interface instead --- which is why I'm still open to the impossible on this one :). It might not all just be data. Or at least, it might not be the same data with the same reliability.

The point is: it is there to be tried. If you count up all the likely-to-be-s, bigger-chance-of-s and so on, and build a wall so big you don't even consider trying it, then its a missed opportunity. And possibly wasted money.

Now, let me freely admit: I have never tried the built-in sound card on my motherboard. But that's because I already had two other interfaces waiting to be plugged in. I didn't discount it as a reason to buy something else. My prejudice (and we all have them) is that I do like an audio interface of the semi-pro school.

Actually, I used the built-in for analogue out on my previous machine, due to major problems preventing me from using anything else. It was pretty good, and made me realise how far things have come from the day when an entry-level add-in card sounded horrible!

Anyway, you want to have the possibility of recording: buy a USB audio interface :)

The people who make the forum-favourite juli@ (which won't fit your case?) make this: ESI U24 XL.

Last edited:
thanks thad. But the tone you explained me everything in, i will now first try on board spdif, then usb audio interface of dac and finally this device. Or did you recommend this for serving over buying a dedicated dac?

@haisakat, I think the ESI Juli@ will work in your case if you are ok with giving up the analogue outputs and using just what the breakout cable will handle (digital output for sure, but I'm not sure what else).

The card is modular and can be split into two sections. I think one section handles the analog output, and the other section handles the digital output (via breakout cable). The digital section looks like it is low-profile. So maybe you can use just that?

SCESI0009-f42e969.jpg

Do PM BHAGWAN or Magma (they use the Juli@) to confirm if what I said is 100% right.

I remember reading somewhere that a really expensive Streamer from a top brand uses the Juli@ for digital output. And from the pics I saw, it was using just the Digital section of the card. I don't remember which streamer it was now :(

Somewhat OT: It looks like the Juli@ is available in a PCIe avatar now! ESI - Juli@ XTe

i will now first try on board spdif, then usb audio interface of dac and finally this device.
If you just want playback then I think this is the way to go. If you do this, then I look forward to your reviews.
Or did you recommend this for serving over buying a dedicated dac?
If you decide that you need recording ability, then neither onboard nor external DAC will give you that: you must go for an audio interface (DAC and ADC).

That is why I have always been, and remain, a soundcard man: even if I don't do it very often, I require the ability to record as well as play.

(nothing is black and white, and, although I will always have a soundcard, I'm currently considering some sort of DAC/Headphone-amp as well, specifically to get the best out of my headphones.)

hydra, the Juli@ top section is reversable to easily allow its choice of balanced/unbalanced analogue output. I've no idea if it can be used without that section. Juli@ owners please? Or failing that, ESI might have the manual online. Whichever of us gets there first can post the result.

EDIT: I can't find any reference to using the card in this way. I think one would have to ask ESI. By the way, although I know nothig of the reviewers, this review looks like further evidence of this card's quality and value for money.

Correction: Looks like this guy is doing it!

Last edited:
@hydra and @thad, thanks for this idea and digging out this post, I hope the spdif supports24/192. I am now on this. Any more thoughts on DAC / Soundcard are also welcome, although do not want to hijack this Xonar thread with my problems. I am eyeing a Caiman DAC (Gatorized) and CA AZUR 651A as stereo amplifier. But will wait for funds to accumulate first :(

It's a shame to waste the Juli@'s own DAC, and, of course, being a soundcard, it would give you that analogue-in recording ability.

Sorry to cut back to square one, but is it really, really impossible to accommodate the card in your case?

Ahhh... I did look at that before, but I only just looked properly, and realised that the graphics card is low-profile, with a 2-inch bracket. :eek:

Hi Guys, I did some more research and found another option Xonar DX. This card has a SNR of 116 dB for front channels and is low profile not so costly and has analogue out (and in, for separate DAC less setup) and also digital output (24/192) which will be useful in future if I upgrade to a dedicated DAC. Any thoughts?

I think Juli will be a bit costlier and I will have to ignore its analogue part completely.

Call me an audiophool ;) , if you like, but the fact that it is half the price, from the same company, makes me wonder. Hopefully, someone will post something more objective :lol:

My vote is to escape the cramped pci slot, and go USB.

Okay 1 last try can I connect two of these cables in series and put xonar stx outside the cabinet Amazon.com: HOTER PCI-E Express 1X Riser Card with Flexible Cable: Electronics ? Will this degrade the soundcard performance. This way within 12K I have decent DAC / Soundcard with recording capability that can support upto 24/192 playback and recording. Or will the ESI U24XL be better in comparison.

Okay 1 last try can I connect two of these cables in series and put xonar stx outside the cabinet. Will this degrade the soundcard performance. This way within 12K I have decent DAC / Soundcard with recording capability that can support upto 24/192 playback and recording. Or will the ESI U24XL be better in comparison.

I don't understand how this will work? The card needs power - how are you going to supply that? The minute you move the card away from the motherboard, you are increasing the chances of jitter and noise interference.

If you are not able to use an internal card, the best option would be an external DAC with a good asynchronous USB interface.

Cheers

A card in a PCI, PCIe (or other) expansion slot becomes an integral part of the machine.

There are bus extension options, I believe, but my instinct says don't do this. Timing on that bus is critical. Bad stuff could happen. Nasty, messy stuff could happen.

Added to which, the card, any card, is designed to be a component, not to stand alone. It has no protection fro interference of any kind. Like the internals of many electrical/electronic devices, it is not even designed to be touched when in use. You could even zap it with static.

I think it is time to accept that the nice, low-profile, media-machine-look case has limited your options in this respect. PCI/PCIe Sound cards are not made for those cases. Move on from that!

Then you must make another decision and stick to it: Is recording a requirement?

@venkat:ForSTXthereisaseparatepowerconnectorrequiredandthatcanbeextendedfrommainPSUinsimilarmanneraswell.

@Thad:I did get the message. Recording is an option not form vinyls mainly but for the huge number of cassettes that I have some rare recordings which has not been published on CD at a later point of time.

Guys, I think there are few options now, one for mobo SPDIF to DAC or another for USB interfaced DAC or can I buy a cheaper Xonar DX for the timebeing and later on upgrade on a dedicated DAC?

Apologies for hijacking from running subject.

Can anyone give me some pointers for Essence ST best configuration?

PS: Currently using with headphones and computer speakers.

One can get the scale from the bracket. Unless the card is made to fit a special low-profile case (is there a "standard" for this?) then the bracket is the same size whatever kind of card, for any purpose, it is.

That's how I made the mistake with haisaikat's's graphic card: I thought I was looking at a normal bracket, and thus a full-size card.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back