Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard - experience

Sonosphere, what steps did you take to enable Kernel Streaming in Foobar?

Cheers

Hi Venkatcr,
1. Download the KS plugin from foobar2000 website /components section
2. Extract the plugin zip file into your Foobar\components directory.
3. Start Foobar. Goto File->Preferences. Choose Output on the left. Select "KS: Asus Essence STX Audio". Click ok /accept etc.

That's it. Go ahead and click play.

Unless the KS dll file gets into conflict with your PC you will find the SQ far better than the default "Primary sound driver" option (you will get an alert-box stating about potential conflict issue, when you perform the above steps)

Regds,

I have always compared the sound with plain headphones.I use AT-M50 & can easily pick a difference in SQ.
When I used asus drivers ,I found vocals as thin & bright top end.
Now with new drivers(1.41)Bass hass better character, Vocals fuller & trebles better too.

Hi Spiro,
Have you checked SQ of Foobar with Kernel streaming option?
If yes how does that SQ compare with SQ of your new drivers (1.41)?
Regds,

Last edited:
I always keep trying & found that KS can output little more(volume)than wasapi which sounds cleaner.I have enjoyed KS with foobar 1.0V.

Hi Everybody,
My quest for a better source ended today. Since the Pune HFV meet last December (got to audition Beresford Caiman DAC), I knew DAC will suit my requirements, and started searching for DACs around price band of 10-15k. After lot of reading on web, including our fellow member SHANTI's posts (no audition!) finally settled for Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard.

Sonosphere

Excellent !
Thanks.

My Juli@ is connected.
Will start playback on Tuesday.
Should have a report in 1 week - with pics up.
This is a great solution - budget kept in mind...:clapping:

Hi Venkatcr,
1. Download the KS plugin from foobar2000 website /components section
2. Extract the plugin zip file into your Foobar\components directory.
3. Start Foobar. Goto File->Preferences. Choose Output on the left. Select "KS: Asus Essence STX Audio". Click ok /accept etc.

That's it. Go ahead and click play.

Unless the KS dll file gets into conflict with your PC you will find the SQ far better than the default "Primary sound driver" option (you will get an alert-box stating about potential conflict issue, when you perform the above steps)

Regds,

Way to go;
Also give asio a try.
Some times I prefer that to wasapi.
Currently I use ASIO.
I just got a 'crack' for MM @ home - so playing around with that - not in the main system. This is on my son's comp with Altec Speakers.

Glad to hear that. Only if my PC had a little screen to browse music, nothing else would have been better. I guess I'll have to make do with the Squeezebox Touch.

Congrats for the newly discovered joy :)

If you have an Iphone or Android, then a Foo Remote is there.
The music controls from there if you so desire.
I Pad is the best option...imho

soundcard plus dac ??? Why would someone do that ?
Improved performance;;simple.
Buy a Skoda RS & get it 'chipped' stage 1 or 2.
To get to audio - the analogue out put from a computer sound card is limited. Like the on board display card of a computer can work, but a dedicated display card will improve the visuals.
In the same manner - the different stages are :-

a]
on board sound card - through mother board - very poor

b]
dedicated sound card - great vfm solution

c]
dedicated sound card with digital out to a outboard dac - much better SQ[sound quality]

So, one needs to decide where one wants to be. Budget & Down Stream gear dependent.

Excellent !
Thanks.

My Juli@ is connected.
Will start playback on Tuesday.
Should have a report in 1 week - with pics up.
This is a great solution - budget kept in mind...:clapping:

Hi,
I don't know if you have heard the ST/STX. If yes, please share your comparison between ST/STX and Juli@.

I haven't heard the Juli@, however what I like about this card is that it can run even on a "ancient PC" P-III with Win-98SE!!. You can get such used PC for 5-6k ! add another 8k approx for Juli@ and you've got a "Audiophile" grade source for 13k that offers far more flexibility than a standalone DAC worth 13k :licklips:.

Regds,

Improved performance;;simple.
Buy a Skoda RS & get it 'chipped' stage 1 or 2.
To get to audio - the analogue out put from a computer sound card is limited. Like the on board display card of a computer can work, but a dedicated display card will improve the visuals.
In the same manner - the different stages are :-

a]
on board sound card - through mother board - very poor

b]
dedicated sound card - great vfm solution

c]
dedicated sound card with digital out to a outboard dac - much better SQ[sound quality]

So, one needs to decide where one wants to be. Budget & Down Stream gear dependent.

Why not just USB dac? Has anyone found a discernible difference in SQ between optical out of a sound card + dac v/s a direct usb connection to the dac for a good dac that supports both the options.

Why not just USB dac? Has anyone found a discernible difference in SQ between optical out of a sound card + dac v/s a direct usb connection to the dac for a good dac that supports both the options.

This depends a lot on the implementation of the USB. dCS Scarletti kind of invented the best USB transportation for DACs. Many people are either borrowing the technology and/or are implementing very similar technology.

There are also a few products available that take a USB and give you a S/PDIF in for the DAC. That will the safest and cheapest IF your DAC does not have a good USB implemented.

On DACS that do not have a good implementation of USB, you can easily make out the difference. At the same time, USB is becoming quite common amongst DACs.

Cheers

This depends a lot on the implementation of the USB. dCS Scarletti kind of invented the best USB transportation for DACs. Many people are either borrowing the technology and/or are implementing very similar technology.

Cheers

Like arcam rDAC.

Hello

A help please . Recently assembled a PC , with AMD llano processor and Gigabyte A75 D2H mother board and Dell U2311H monitor, set up. Now want to enjoy HT ,through the same monitor, particularly Blu ray . To keep things simple is it possible to use a sound card only , Asus D2X or Asus HDAV 1.3 , or an AVR is must.

What could be other option.

Do not know much about HTPC

Sorry OT , if you could permit

Regards
Pratim

Hello

A help please . Recently assembled a PC , with AMD llano processor and Gigabyte A75 D2H mother board and Dell U2311H monitor, set up. Now want to enjoy HT ,through the same monitor, particularly Blu ray . To keep things simple is it possible to use a sound card only , Asus D2X or Asus HDAV 1.3 , or an AVR is must.

What could be other option.

Do not know much about HTPC

Sorry OT , if you could permit

Regards
Pratim

Hi Pratim,
No issues reg OT.

There are many soundcards that generate 5.1 HT output thru digital-out or analog-out. For case of analog-out you will need a 5 channel amp and a powered subwoofer. Now to enjoy HT audio experience, you'll need to keep speakers around you (just in case... web is full of guidance on speaker placement, ).

I am wondering if you are going to view a movie on a desktop monitor how far you can sit from the screen? (probably not more than 6 feet) and how close you will end up placing speakers.

Regds,

Hi Sonosphere

First Congrats on your new acquisition.

Yes speaker placement an issue. But for the time being , assuming will sit at 6/7' distance from my 23" monitor.

I use my Be 718 as front , stereo amp being the front amp. Buy one budget amp with LF out , and two speaker for the rear . Sub and centre can be added later or can be skipped. And feed them with analog out put from the sound card. But what I want true Dolby and DTS master audio sound or a sound that blue ray will offer

Am I sounding foolish :mad:

Pratim

... But what I want true Dolby and DTS master audio sound or a sound that blue ray will offer

Am I sounding foolish :mad:

Pratim

Hi Pratim,
From what I've gathered from web, what you want is possible. You'll need to google for the right soundcard + drivers + Media player to get clear picture about the whole package.

Your strategy of skipping the sub may work out, however the center speaker is a must for true 5 channel HT experience. Sometimes dialog are present only on the center speaker, so in some cases you'll not hear what an actor is saying if the center speaker is missing and you keep the soundcard output setting at 5.1

Regds,

Hello SONOSPHERE, thanks a lot for guiding people with Xonar ST for setting up the system for better SQ. I have also installed an Xonar ST last year, but didn't find any significant improvement or may be I haven't found a way to configure it properly.

I keenly followed your instruction in this post, but just not able to figure out what you exactly mean by >> tweaked the settings in Asus Xonar control panel as per tips on web >>. Can you please explain me on this step? WHAT exactly to be done in the Xonar Control Panel?

I'll be really thankful to you. I'm also from Pune, may I have your contact number please (in a PM)?

Hi Brajendu,
Pls see my reply in blue below:

... I have also installed an Xonar ST last year, but didn't find any significant improvement or may be I haven't found a way to configure it properly.

I see you signature has Marantz CD 6003 and LG DVD player as sources. Do you mean Xonar ST is not significant improvement over CD 6003 OR LG DVD player?

I keenly followed your instruction in this post, but just not able to figure out what you exactly mean by >> tweaked the settings in Asus Xonar control panel as per tips on web >>. Can you please explain me on this step? WHAT exactly to be done in the Xonar Control Panel?

Settings to be done in Xonar control panel:
1. Set the sample-rate to 192 KHz.
2. Set the DSP mode to HiFi
3. The volume should be set to 75%

Apart from above ensure that no DSP, like equalizer, is activated in Foobar.

I'll be really thankful to you. I'm also from Pune, may I have your contact number please (in a PM)?

PM sent. Pls check.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back