Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard - experience

I see you signature has Marantz CD 6003 and LG DVD player as sources. Do you mean Xonar ST is not significant improvement over CD 6003 OR LG DVD player?

I recall ROC also made a similar post that the ST was not superior to a Cd5003 or something.

--G0bble

I just got my Xonar STX card today :eek:hyeah:... is there anything which i should keep in my mind while installing it..?

Hi Venkatcr,
1. Download the KS plugin from foobar2000 website /components section
2. Extract the plugin zip file into your Foobar\components directory.
3. Start Foobar. Goto File->Preferences. Choose Output on the left. Select "KS: Asus Essence STX Audio". Click ok /accept etc.

That's it. Go ahead and click play.

Unless the KS dll file gets into conflict with your PC you will find the SQ far better than the default "Primary sound driver" option (you will get an alert-box stating about potential conflict issue, when you perform the above steps)

Regds,

i did steps 1 and 2(foo_out-ks.dll extracted in comp folder) but KS option is not appearing in playback

^^ Perhaps Foobar was running while you copied the .dll file into the directory?

Try closing Foobar and restarting it. The Component should then show up in the File > Preferences > Output

Connect power supply properly & use correct drivers.Use foobar with wasapi OR asio.

What do you mean by correct drivers..?? should i get the latets drivers from asus site or should i go ahead with drivers in the CD..??

I also read somewhere about Unixonar drivers... wats that.. and from where i can download them.. ???

Thanks..

^^ Perhaps Foobar was running while you copied the .dll file into the directory?

Try closing Foobar and restarting it. The Component should then show up in the File > Preferences > Output

tried reinstalling, restart etc, still ks is not an output option,although it is appearing in the installed components

Congrats!
Any particular reason why you went for STX instead of ST?

Thanks sonosphere..

No particular reason for STX.. I enquired about ST and it wasn't there so i ordered for STX.. Lets see how it performs... after that if i still feel that something is missin then i may sell this n go for ST..

Got the card.. came back home asap.. but... :( .. I've a slim cabinet.. this card won't fit in my current cabinet.. so need a new bigger cabinet.. have to wait till tomorrow.. goin to get a new cabinet...

Will post my imression pretty soon.. :eek:hyeah:

No particular reason for STX.. I enquired about ST and it wasn't there so i ordered for STX.. Lets see how it performs... after that if i still feel that something is missin then i may sell this n go for ST..

Got the card.. came back home asap.. but... :( .. I've a slim cabinet.. this card won't fit in my current cabinet.. so need a new bigger cabinet..

What?!! :eek: There is no reservation for STX/ST category in your cabinet??!! :rolleyes: Change it before there are protests and hunger-strikes on the streets. :D

STX --> ST will not be much of an upgrade. Still in the same "backward" class onlee. :eek:hyeah: Better to go for super high-end audio card above Asus. It will cost $400 or more.

Don't bother spending another 8K for such a minor upgrade :)

Cheers
-G0bble
:)

Last edited:
What?!! :eek: There is no reservation for STX/ST category in your cabinet??!! :rolleyes: Change it before there are protests and hunger-strikes on the streets. :D

STX --> ST will not be much of an upgrade. Still in the same "backward" class onlee. :eek:hyeah: Better to go for super high-end audio card above Asus. It will cost $400 or more.

Don't bother spending another 8K for such a minor upgrade :)

Cheers
-G0bble
:)

Hehehe.. no room for this sound card in this cabinet.. will get a new cabinet tomorrow.. :)
Yeah i've heard the same for STX and ST.. there must be some technical diff but m not aware of that.. but as far as SQ is concerned, there's not much diff..

no, i am back to powerdvd11

You are using PowerDVD for what? Playing music? That is a bad option. I will be writing in detail later but software that are small and use ASIO are simply the best for playing music.

Use something like cPlay and hear the difference. If you are having issues with installation of KS in Foobar, don't worry. I did try KS, but have switched back to ASIO with the latest driver from Asus for the sound card. I can hardly make out any difference between KS and ASIO options. Excepting for an irritating click when you choose the first song, Foobar with ASIO plays music beautifully.

Cheers

for me it sounded better than jrmc demoversion or foobar with prim audio driver, i tried installing asio4all but couldnt get it to appear in the option

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back