AT 90CD magnetic cart

reubensm

Hi, saw this, thought i'll share it with all.

Buy Audio-technica AT 90CD - Phono Cartridge with cheapest price at Grabmore.in - Online Shopping of Musical Instruments in India.

I have experience using this cart (still doing duty on my brother's Technics SLBD20B) and it is very good for the price. Great for replacing damaged carts on vintage turntables. Can be used in both p-mount and 1/2 inch mount configurations (with the 1/2 inch mount adapter).

No affiliation with the seller or the website. Sharing out of general interest.

Picked up an AT 92ECD from them. got it delivered after 2 weeks without a hitch. Very reasonable price and very smooth delivery.

Last edited:
Its a pretty decent cart for the price. It simply blew away the original OEM technics cart on the new SLBD20B TT used by my brother.

Thanks for sharing Reuben Sir. However, AT-90CD is the only cart on grabmore.in that is selling for almost the same price as the ones on ebay (american site). The rest of them are atleast 500 INR higher. The shure m97xe is almost 3k costlier! I mean..if they can afford to sell one of them at the same price, why not others? :confused: or maybe i know nothing about marketing and business :p

Thanks for sharing Reuben Sir. However, AT-90CD is the only cart on grabmore.in that is selling for almost the same price as the ones on ebay (american site). The rest of them are atleast 500 INR higher. The shure m97xe is almost 3k costlier! I mean..if they can afford to sell one of them at the same price, why not others? :confused: or maybe i know nothing about marketing and business :p

Guess its related to the law of demand. Looks like they have a few ATs which are not selling and they need to clear stock. I have seen these new ATs going for $2 or $3 on ebay at times, un opened.

Got the cart, Need to order MM phono from sachin , cart looks great and its heavier than DL 160 for sure

got an AT3482 when a friend came back from the US. It seemed heavier, and the sound was a bit less edgy than the At92, but the surface noise was unbearable.
3482 stylus + 92 cart sounds nice. Some more mixing and matching to go

Last edited:
I think A 90 CD was price much lower on Amazon.com some time back. So I think the price for all their carts are higher

Picked up an AT 92ECD from them. got it delivered after 2 weeks without a hitch. Very reasonable price and very smooth delivery.
Can you let me know if the AT 90 CD comes only with P mount, or the standard half inch attachment as shown in the photo, also supplied at the price quoted.

Thanks

I had ordered the AT92ECD and the AT3482. The former came with the full adapter kit,brush, screws etc. the latter was just the P mount cartridge. I haven't bought the 90.

I'd suggest the 92. The elliptical makes a good difference in sound

The elliptical makes a good difference in sound

Yep greenhorn, i too noticed this, i felt it is responsible for a good bass too

My cart is little settled now after playing around 15 records, both sides, initial impressions were like ... made another mistake buying this cart ... cos of lot of surface noise...

Now i feel good... not sure what exactly changes within the cart when we start using it ???

And iam more anxiously waiting for MM Phono of sachin .. to pair it up with Pass B1 and iam sure its going to make world of difference

will update once the MM Phono is in and done with ample burnin

I used the arc protractor from vinylengine and also set anti skate, VTF , as per a youtube video, it did made considerable amount of difference ..

cheers

Tanoj

Last edited:
bass, I'm not sure, but the conical picks up a lot more surface noise.

But on the plus side, it's a lot more tolerant of inner groove distortion.
My TT is more or less plug and play, and has no settings at all. so sadly stuck with the out of the box sound

Hi Friends

when AT92ECD meets sachin's CNC phono phono stage ... it makes it very obvious that it needs to sound crisp...

His phono stage shows the pro's and con's of cart very clearly... cos its very transparent ...

+ 1 to his pass B1.. one more transparent device in the chain ..

there is world of difference between the two couples

i.e Denon DL 160 + Schin's MC phono stage and
AT92ECD + Schin's MM phono stage

not sure why the price of AT was so less ... but its doing much more than its price....

MC carts are a different league altogether , i used to love it , only place it dipped was for the sounds like bass guitar etc

although At exceeds expectations ..... it cannot touch the Denon in terms when comes to vocals .....

All i can say is ...... it was different ... i think i should check out Denon 103R

At is sounding good, not great .... jumping tracks is its hobby ... surface noise are its close friends

Any one in Bangalore use Denon 103R cart , we can do AB once ?

its time to say Cheers

Tanoj

At is sounding good, not great .... jumping tracks is its hobby ... surface noise are its close friends

Friends i wanted to correct/change my opinion on this AT cart

after reading and watching lot of youtube videos and getting inputs from FM members i did the right tweak to my TT, Speaker placement, Room Treatment ( with in-house goods )

and after giving the cnc phono's and cart sufficient burnin time

now things are very different, its sounding more beautiful than my Ex Denon Dl 160 ..... vocals , sounds of instruments , sound seperation , everything is so great

feel like listining to live gazal program at Home....

Lesson Learnt : Cost cannot decide fate of a cart, some are born to shine from ashes

Thank you

Tanoj

Last edited:
Lesson Learnt : Cost cannot decide fate of a cart, some are born to shine from ashesTanoj

This is a very valuable statement and applicable for almost all audio equipment. Many forget that the best rig is the one that sounds good to the owner's ears and not the neighbour's :eek:hyeah:

Unfortunately, many enthusiasts in the audio world work and talk based on per-conceived notions, online reviews, bragging rights, speculative journalism, marketing and review-based advertising, etc.

The first lesson I learnt from my father was not to evade trying un-conventional approaches. I'd still remember the old times when dad used to have his Garrard SP25, fitted with a el-cheapo EEI CS2000 ceramic cart, wired through his DIY ceramic phonostage into his NAD 1020A preamp. I distinctly remember how his friends could not tell the difference between this set up and his alternate setup with a Shure M75-6 on the Garrard SP25, running directly into his NAD 1020A preamp. But when the truth was often revealed, people could never believe that it was a cheap Indian ceramic cart providing all that musical listening.

Hi all,

Not to hijack this thread, another cart from AT stable that is value for money is AT-95 MM Cart. At a price of about $50 it is a steal. I have used it in my setup and was very happy. But later upgraded to a different cartridge.

N.Murali

Friends, I am having ADC Q4 cartridge in my Garrard GT35 P-1 & presently I am planning to buy a cart within by limited budget before upgrading to "Shure".

My point is since I am new to vinyls should I stick to ADC cart & our should I replace it with AT90 cart.

Friends, I am having ADC Q4 cartridge in my Garrard GT35 P-1 & presently I am planning to buy a cart within by limited budget before upgrading to "Shure".

My point is since I am new to vinyls should I stick to ADC cart & our should I replace it with AT90 cart.

Shure M92 Cart is available on bajaao.com for Rs. 3600/- I have heard it and I found it quite neutral & clear. Very good for this price point.
Here's the link: http://www.bajaao.com/shop/74-studi...ble-cartridge-for-dj-and-traditional-use.html

The ADC is quite a good cart by itself. My suggestion would be to stick with it and upgrade to Shure when you wish to.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back