AT440MLB cartridge - thoughts?

I am using the AT 440MLB.
The SQ is very good.Fantastic high Frequencies.Good Bass.No loose bass like Shure M97Xe.The sound is addictive.Bought Nagaoka MP10 but did not installed it.It is there with me for last 2 months.Did not find need to change the cartridge.
Word of caution------
The AT440 MLB cantelever is very delicate.You may damage the suspension if VTF is not correctly adjusted.Take care while installing.

I am using the AT 440MLB.
The SQ is very good.Fantastic high Frequencies.Good Bass.No loose bass like Shure M97Xe.The sound is addictive.Bought Nagaoka MP10 but did not installed it.It is there with me for last 2 months.Did not find need to change the cartridge.
Word of caution------
The AT440 MLB cantelever is very delicate.You may damage the suspension if VTF is not correctly adjusted.Take care while installing.
What VTF are you using? 1.4-1.6 is recommended on most forums.

I used 1.5 gms.Resulted in collapse of suspension.Repaired the suspension.Installed again.Adjusted VTF 1.5 Gms again on Technics SLQ3.Now checked the VTF using Stulus Pressure Gauge Shure SFG and found to have more than 2 gms.Adjuted the VTF to 1.25 using shure Stylus Pressure gauge and since then running smoothly.

I used 1.5 gms.Resulted in collapse of suspension.Repaired the suspension.Installed again.Adjusted VTF 1.5 Gms again on Technics SLQ3.Now checked the VTF using Stulus Pressure Gauge Shure SFG and found to have more than 2 gms.Adjuted the VTF to 1.25 using shure Stylus Pressure gauge and since then running smoothly.
Thanks for this valuable advice. I have a SL-Q3 too. Is the counterweight so inaccurate?:eek: Also how did you repair the suspension?

Thanks for this valuable advice. I have a SL-Q3 too. Is the counterweight so inaccurate?:eek: Also how did you repair the suspension?
Yes
The counterweight is not at all acurate.The thick cantilever of the shure m97xe can withstand slight inacuracies in the vtf but a thin and delicate cantilever of 440mlb could not withstand it.
The collapsed suspension was a nightmere.The cartridge was purchased from a website.The technician asked me to send only stylus for repairs.To and fro shipping was rs 6000 and custom duty was 6000.I took liberty to study it .audiokerma .com gave me the hint and then I purchased a required screw driver.there is one very tiny screw at the back which holds the cantilever with the suspension in the body of the stylus cage.I am an ophthalmologist by a profession and hence has operating microscope ane ophthalmic microsurgical instruments.and then it was just loosening the screw and adjusting the suspension and retightening the screw.
I was very pleased with the result.

Yes
The counterweight is not at all acurate.The thick cantilever of the shure m97xe can withstand slight inacuracies in the vtf but a thin and delicate cantilever of 440mlb could not withstand it.
The collapsed suspension was a nightmere.The cartridge was purchased from a website.The technician asked me to send only stylus for repairs.To and fro shipping was rs 6000 and custom duty was 6000.I took liberty to study it .audiokerma .com gave me the hint and then I purchased a required screw driver.there is one very tiny screw at the back which holds the cantilever with the suspension in the body of the stylus cage.I am an ophthalmologist by a profession and hence has operating microscope ane ophthalmic microsurgical instruments.and then it was just loosening the screw and adjusting the suspension and retightening the screw.
I was very pleased with the result.
Definitely sounds like a nightmare. I think its best I get a pocket scale. This any good? - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00G7UWV9K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_39?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AT95IG9ONZD7S

Definitely sounds like a nightmare. I think its best I get a pocket scale. This any good? - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00G7UWV9K/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_39?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AT95IG9ONZD7S

You can use it (I've been using a similar model for years) but it's not ideal as one cannot measure the tracking force at record level. Of course there are workarounds.

Better to invest in something like this:

Signstek Blue LCD Backlight Digital Long-Playing LP Turntable Stylus Force Scale Gauge Tester https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00E7MVP3S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AIonAb4FBET60

With correct vtf you will get very less surface noise.you can wash the record with dishwasher and distilled water but try not to play it in wet condition.

With correct vtf you will get very less surface noise.you can wash the record with dishwasher and distilled water but try not to play it in wet condition.
I would never do that:)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back