ATL speaker system with Peerless Kevlar and Dayton silk domes

Hari Iyer

I am building this weekend a ATL speakers using a Peerless (local) Kevlar woofer (6.5") and Dayton 1" silk dome tweeter. I had done the simulation using LA. The crossover will be built with measurements / simulation and later voiced. Will post images later. This is for a non-FM.

Thanks for looking.

Some Images - Work in process
As usual some objective measurements FR, Impulse, Step, Decay in my room, waterfall, spectogram for the benefit of those who cannot come down for a listen.
Subjective - This kevlar from Peerless India is awesome- Good tight bass and organic mids. Integrates well with the Dayton tweeter.

Any FM keen for a listen are welcome.

Impedance - Unstuffed, stuffed and after Q damping + crossover.

Thanks for looking.

Attaching pdf file due to large file size preventing uploading.

Attachments

• Peerless-Dayton-ATL.pdf
    430.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Impedance.jpg
    Impedance.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Can you plz name the model number of peerless midbass & 1" dayton tweeters you used in your TL design. By the way it seems you already completed making your speaker as evident from pictures.

Some Images - Work in process
As usual some objective measurements FR, Impulse, Step, Decay in my room, waterfall, spectogram for the benefit of those who cannot come down for a listen.
Subjective - This kevlar from Peerless India is awesome- Good tight bass and organic mids. Integrates well with the Dayton tweeter.

Any FM keen for a listen are welcome.

Impedance - Unstuffed, stuffed and after Q damping + crossover.

Thanks for looking.

Attaching pdf file due to large file size preventing uploading.

I have to ask: How did you achieve the finish? so much like SALK. Very well done.

@Hari Iyer if possible can you post the sound pressure level graph along with infinity baffle and system
Its in the pdf doument. This is ver 1 of the built with parallel crossover. Yesterday evening, i went with series crossover topology and find them even more resolving. I think this kevlar woofer + dayton tweeters are very easy to design and should be considered by DIY guys.

FS or BS speakers, Hari?

Some build pics would be nice:)
Its a FS. Roughtly 48" tall, 8" wide and around 9" deep. The terminus is at the bottom which has clearance with 1.25" spikes. The unstuffed, stuffed and Q damped impedance is in post # 3.

Last edited:
I have to ask: How did you achieve the finish? so much like SALK. Very well done.
I dont have the built images, as the carpenter has done this work at his workshop (based on my design) and i just assembled the drivers and the crossovers. The finish for the laminate was selected by the end customer which was just ordered by me. Laminate finishes are easy to maintain and are cheaper compared to veneer.

hi hari,

professionally work done,,tell us what have u used for the box finishing,,its it venner..and box dimensions..
Thanks. Box dimensions in the previous post # 13. The finishing is laminates and not veneer. Cost around 1500/- per sheet. Also the wood used is water resistant particle board and not the usually used water proof MDF. I wanted a less resonant material that has good internal damping and hence used particle board.

For box tuning details refer post # 3 - impedance graphs.

Its in the pdf doument. This is ver 1 of the built with parallel crossover. Yesterday evening, i went with series crossover topology and find them even more resolving. I think this kevlar woofer + dayton tweeters are very easy to design and should be considered by DIY guys.

Thanks, Let me check the document. Also are these peerless drivers are out of stock with little chance of production?

Thanks, Let me check the document. Also are these peerless drivers are out of stock with little chance of production?

I think so that these drivers are out of stock as they are not seen in diyaudiocart site. IMO Peerless India does not make these drivers for the Indian market. These are export surplus that are sold in the local market after accounting for sales + damages. If you ask Jeetu Bhai for these drivers his typical answer is, "i can manufacture only if you give me an order for 2000 pieces". I dont know of any speaker system manufacturer in India who will order that many drivers (of one model) from him, let alone a DIY person like me. Even a group buy cannot help unless the group is of around 1000 people which is next to impossible. Check out if you are able to get this driver else you need to work with something else available.

In my case this driver was originally bought by the customer in 2013 and he had built a speaker from a guy at Koper Khairane - 3 ways system using this kevlar woofer , SKO130 as mid-range and Perless SR10DT as tweeter. The box was a uncalculated Transmission Line made out of gut feeling. As expected it sounded horrible. He later consulted me and i recommended him to scrap the box, mid-range and tweeter and retain the Kevlar. I then suggested him to buy the Dayton tweeter which he did. I later designed and assembled the speaker system for him. The entire speaker system will be ready by today evening and he shall come down for a listen after 7 PM.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back