Atmos/DTS X - Front Heights Vs Top Front or Top Middle

I have auditioned in-ceiling atmos speakers as well as bookshelf speakers as atmos speakers, in different demo rooms. They were different setups with different speaker/receiver combinations, but I personally felt that the bookshelf gave a better atmos effect compared to the in-ceiling one

one can use car speakers with a home avr like a denon? wont that be incompatible/strain on the avr? that would be a great and cheaper option than buying special in-ceiling speakers if it's possible.

Most of the latest AVRs can drive 4 ohm speakers as there are some big home theatre speaker brands which are 4 ohms.....AVR manufacturers are aware of this and have plugged this drawback......

Speaker is a speaker...as long as you are aware of the specs and match it appropriately to an AMP or AVR, there will be no challenges....

@celester340 has a A Series Yamaha which is capable of low impedance speaker drive so dont see a challenge......

The risk of mounting a bookshelf suspended from the ceiling is that it looks bulky and possibilities of falling down on the audience....in ceiling speakers are good and perform decent across frequencies.......car speakers provide better performance as they are designed to give you the best stereo experience as you would enjoy with a pair of floorstanders etc.....car speakers dont require a specific housing cabinet to deliver those frequencies.....so in short....they will be fit for purpose.....as long as it sounds pleasant and fulfilling to ones ears....why not!

In my 5.1.2 setup for my atmos setup I have bookshelf speakers mounted on the wall above of (& just a bit behind) my front speakers at the highest point of the front wall just below the ceiling with the speakers pointed at main listening position. i cannot mount them on my ceiling as i have a POP false ceiling which wont take their weight. my avr is set to Front Heights.

was wondering if i would gain anything by buying a pair of in-ceiling speakers and mounting them on the ceiling and setting them as Top Fronts or Top Middle? is there any difference in experience of movies and music (especially when using the dolby/dts upmixers since most of my media is not atmos encoded) in one setup vs the other?

Hi I have experimented these options two years before when I was installing my 5.2.2 setup.
My vote goes for Top middle. It will give you better immersion and enveloping sound.
In case of False ceiling ,go for in-ceiling speakers .Hope thsi helps your query.

Only once I have experience Dolby Atmos with in Ceiling speakers. Never tried front/rear height with Dolby Atmos/DTS X but my home theater systems is configured with Dolby PL IIZ ( with front height speakers) and watch few movies with DPLIIz. Each position has its advantages and disadvantages.
In Cieling/ Over top speakers -
1. Atmos Codec suggest in Ceiling/over top speakers for better performance of sound track.
2. More immersive and envoloping sound field.
3. More discrete and Exact location of the objects.
4. Difficult installation procedure with very limited resources.
5. Compromise in speakers selection

Front and rear height speakers ( on wall )
1. Easy installation with the help of mounting hardware
2. Wide choice in speakers selection
3. Suitable for all overhead codec like Dolby Atmos/DTS X/Aura
4. Front to rear overhead effect have larger panning across the field.
5. Front height speakers are close to screen so can give more realistic feel.
5. Easy to tilt towards MLP .
Above mentioned points are my personal opinion and can be different from others experiences. Just consider for information purposes only. I don't have Atmos setup at home.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back