Atmos placement in ceiling

Akshit2111

hi fellow members
I am in the middle of my room renovation.
Initially i thought it wont pose much problems but due to other priorities i had to let go of my ideal speaker positioning dreams and succumb to other bedroom utilities.
So as usual LCR is not an issue but the problem starts with my surround speakers.
My surround speakers are to the left and to the right of the middle of my bed i guess ideally it should have been in the back two corners.
So now how should i place my in ceiling speakers(back) should they be in line with my surround or should they be little behind them also what about the ceiling fronts.
I am thinking of putting a couch in front of my bed and treat it as my main listening position
The contrsuction is ongoing and i guess i am quite late with my homework.
It'll be quite helpful if i can decide this ASAP so that nothing comes to a standstill.
I am also attaching a picture for better understanding.

if you are going to sit on couch, then i dont think there is much issue with speaker placement. Just config your surrond speakers as surround back and brring the LR speaker a little ahead of wall. Atmos speakers are at good location.

Basically wanted to know whether atmos speakers should be behind the back surrounds or should they be in line.
Videos suggest that ceiling speakers should be at a 45 degree angle but how should i calculate that.
Also mostly its late night casual watching lying on bed.. i guess at that point of time all the speakers would be in front of me be it atmos be it surround wont that jeopardize my experience.

So is there any idea you guys can think of wherein ill get good experience on bed as well as couch? Like placing the surround in the two corners at the back.. will that help?

So is there any idea you guys can think of wherein ill get good experience on bed as well as couch? Like placing the surround in the two corners at the back.. will that help?
While watching 4k atmos blu ray contents alone I sit and watch. All other contents that don’t have the best sound effects I’ll just lie down and watch. Netflix, prime, hot star I don’t even use the HT and just use the tv speakers and lie down. It’s very relaxing to watch like this. So set one MLP in a way it will be best for atmos and watch blu ray contents that has good sound mix from that position and remaining contents from bed.

Ok... can follow that policy. So how shoulf i place the ceiling speakers like how should i calculate the angle.. i made that drawing like randomly.

well for music use stereo and for non atmos content you can sit back on bed, but it wont sound as good as sitting at mlp on couch

hi fellow members
I am in the middle of my room renovation.
Initially i thought it wont pose much problems but due to other priorities i had to let go of my ideal speaker positioning dreams and succumb to other bedroom utilities.
So as usual LCR is not an issue but the problem starts with my surround speakers.
My surround speakers are to the left and to the right of the middle of my bed i guess ideally it should have been in the back two corners.
So now how should i place my in ceiling speakers(back) should they be in line with my surround or should they be little behind them also what about the ceiling fronts.
I am thinking of putting a couch in front of my bed and treat it as my main listening position
The contrsuction is ongoing and i guess i am quite late with my homework.
It'll be quite helpful if i can decide this ASAP so that nothing comes to a standstill.
I am also attaching a picture for better understanding.

You are on the right track, have a look at the Dolby's official guide.

Akshit, Below are the recommendations:-

Based on your diagram and your sitting position on couch:-
1. 3 & 4 move little forward and align with the surrounds. They are too behind.
2. 1 & 2 move little behind, just in front of your seating position MLP not in the middle towards LCR.

Based on your Diagram and listening position on Bed:-
1. You wont get good Dolby atmos, You just cannot get a decent dolby atmos performance in multiple locations. Else go for 5.1.6
2. Best possible way would be keep 3 & 4 as it is and move 1 & 2 on top of your MLP.

The last one should be ok and bit ideal for both the above scenarios.

Cheers :)

Ok... can follow that policy. So how shoulf i place the ceiling speakers like how should i calculate the angle.. i made that drawing like randomly.
Needn't worry about the angles, if your atmos speakers are wide dispersion, just point down at 90 degrees to ground from ceiling. What your atmos should do is to create a bigger soundstage that is possible.

Dolby atmos's Guideline cannot be practically followed in every room.

I just know for wide dispersion speakers, just point the ceiling speakers downward firing NOT angled towards the main listening position.

This advice was given by NHT Support, US.

Most plumbers and carpenters can't even fix the TV stands parallel..

I hope that helps.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back