Attaching sub to Edifier 1700BT

I'm looking to attach a sub for my Edifer 1700BT (temp fix till I get a proper hi-fi set). What sub would you recommend and how to attach a sub to this speaker?

I've scoured online and found something on the lines of using RCA splitters but I'm not sure of the configuration that is needed. (splitter attaches to which end? where the speaker go? where does the sub go? etc..)

I also understand that i'll have to adjust speaker and subwoofer volume separately, what is the least painful way to manage this?

The image attached shows the inputs available.

Attachments

• r1700bt-2_f5e8e9a4-0261-4c82-87a5-a63f98d6d704.jpg
    r1700bt-2_f5e8e9a4-0261-4c82-87a5-a63f98d6d704.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 33
Use a Y splitter from your source, one pair rca should go to SUB and another pair to 1700BT. In this way, you won't be able to adjust the frequency going to 1700BT, only you can adjust the frequency in the SUB, if that option available in the SUB. Btw, whats your source?

Use a Y splitter from your source, one pair rca should go to SUB and another pair to 1700BT. In this way, you won't be able to adjust the frequency going to 1700BT, only you can adjust the frequency in the SUB, if that option available in the SUB. Btw, whats your source?
Source is a smart TV box (Mi Box 4K), it has a 3.5mm jack.

I'm okay not being able to adjust the 1700BT frequency because it already has dials for treble and bass (i'll just bring down the bass to 0).

Another method that I read about includes going from source to RCA input of the sub (if sub has input and output RCAs), and then from the RCA out on sub, take it to the 1700BT RCA in...that way I can control the frequency going to the 1700 BT from the sub itself? Would this work?

Any cheap sub you can recommend with RCA inputs/outputs?

Thanks a ton for entertaining my query!

Yes the second method works well.. you can control the crossover frequency in the Sub, provided the sub is capable of doing it. Entry level offerings of Yamaha, Polk and Taga should work for you. Make sure the sub have line level input and out.

You can also check this thread about an Indian brand..

Another method that I read about includes going from source to RCA input of the sub (if sub has input and output RCAs), and then from the RCA out on sub, take it to the 1700BT RCA in...that way I can control the frequency going to the 1700 BT from the sub itself? Would this work?

Any cheap sub you can recommend with RCA inputs/outputs?

Thanks a ton for entertaining my query!
Yes the second method works well.. you can control the crossover frequency in the Sub, provided the sub is capable of doing it. Entry level offerings of Yamaha, Polk and Taga should work for you. Make sure the sub have line level input and out.
Sub with RCA out???

Not RCA out... I meant speaker level input and output... something mentioned as in this thread...

But how does that get connected to a powered speaker? To my mind,A step down converter will be required and a good one costs a decent amount of money and are not readily available (to my knowledge, at least one).

You can also check this thread about an Indian brand..
Does this one work?

Polk Audio PSW-111

Last edited:
see the sub in this video

I saw the video but im unsure which method you're referring to for connecting your powered speakers. On the other hand, the Polk sub that they used for the video had RCA out so you'll have to basically hunt for a sub with RCA out.

I saw the video but im unsure which method you're referring to for connecting your powered speakers. On the other hand, the Polk sub that they used for the video had RCA out so you'll have to basically hunt for a sub with RCA out.

The method is:
1. source to sub via RCA-in,
2. then from sub to speaker from the RCA-out of sub to RCA-in of speakers

Precisely. Have you found any subs with RCA out?

this one.

One question, if the sub has banana plug in/outs, can that still be used with an active monitor? Provided I have the right cables of course..

this one.

One question, if the sub has banana plug in/outs, can that still be used with an active monitor? Provided I have the right cables of course..
Nope. Banana plug out connectors can usually accept spades and bare wire also - banana plugs are just a different high level connector used for convenience and not line out.

Last edited:

this one.

On another note, the morel sub seems to have only 75w of continuous power. Usually, the smaller the driver, the more power the sub requires to output the same decibels than a sub with a larger driver i.e. usually, a 200w 12inch sub will go louder than a 200w 10inch sub which , in turn , will go louder than a 200 8inch sub. Its not an inviolable rule but the norm.

I don't think it would be wise to choose your sub depending on only availability of RCA out. It limits your options. Rather, get a decent AVR with an RCA out which can plug to your speakers and the sub out can plug to every single sub out there.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back