Attention all Onkyo Owners/Prospective buyers

Well .. even the dealer said off late they have been dumping Onkyo to the market wherein they encountered frequent board failure problems and irate customers who were asked to shell out 70% of original purchase cost as repairing charges. They have even forwarded this concern to Onkyo Chennai Head and Their management in Japan. But they are still to resolve the issue. So am guessing quality is degraded in the last 2 years or so. Also the fact company is officially blaming Tata sky or dishtv is a bad excuse.In my case no dish tv is installed.This was my bad experience so wanted to share , just people should think now on when they purchase an Onkyo. Also advice from gurus, should i shell out the money for repairs or just throw this one and buy a relatively cheaper pioneers HTR which costs around 15k since i already have the Onkyo speakers ?

It must have been a power surge that has fried your equipment. Always install a stabilizer or Belkin power surge protector. Once Belkin saved all my equipment from lightning strike. An investment that is worth.

Can equipment get fried during power surge even if they are not operational/off that point in time ? Coz in my case the receiver was not in use and main power was off .. not even in standby.Was just connected to the power socket.

I would not believe this if the technician who told you this was Onkyo employee.
Please don't blame it on Onkyo. In fact the prices you had mentioned sounds to me reasonable compared to some other brands. More over Onkyo has direct service support unlike other brands who have out sourced it. May be you can blame them for delay in service.

ATTENTION:
I was in touch with a High end service technician who confirmed lot of power board and main board failures in their receivers where ever TATA SKY STB was hooked to the receiver.

With regard to protection / stabilisation I won't recommend a servo for HT setup. Better is CVT (Constant voltage Transformers) preferably with isolation like BHURJI CVTs.

Thanks.

I would not believe this if the technician who told you this was Onkyo employee.

I was very clear "High end service technician" where is the question of ONKYO there (but for one or two models / products). In fact the failed products were not Onkyo at all, in his case as he is from other High end brand. Due to certain reasons I am not directly able to give the brand in this open forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Was just making sure.
I was very clear "High end service technician" where is the question of ONKYO there (but for one or two models / products). In fact the failed products were not Onkyo at all, in his case as he is from other High end brand. Due to certain reasons I am not directly able to give the brand in this open forum.

Last edited:

This reason is the company's official reason. This was concurred by official Onkyo service centre in Mumbai and even the dealer who got this reason from Japan.

Thanks for this thread. Last week I bought Onkyo TX SR 313 & SKS HT 728 speakers. I was not much aware about these surge current problem.

Can equipment get fried during power surge even if they are not operational/off that point in time ? Coz in my case the receiver was not in use and main power was off .. not even in standby.Was just connected to the power socket.

Yes, When the lightning strike happened none of the equipment was switched on except for the CRT TV where the picture tube just caved in with a thud. The belkin surge protector saved the other equipments as it's fuse blew off before the electrical surge could touch the equipments.

Some appliances will still hold a charge when unplugged. Usually this is because there is a slow leaking capacitor in the unit. Example, powering off a desktop computer will still consume power, unless you turn off the toggle switch on the back of the power supply. This toggle switch will disconnect all power before it touches any resistors, capacitors, etc.

Back