Attractive price on Philips 6600 series

z@m

Philips 50 inch 4k tv for 37k (link)?! Is there a catch?

I use htpc/apple tv for computing/connectivity and external setup for sound,
so my main consideration for a tv is picture quality.
Average use is 30 minutes per day.

Budget constraint of 45k.

Any suggestions?

This is a smart tv operating on Philips Saphi OS. So you can use the inbuilt Apps only.External Apps cannot be sideloaded and its a VA panel.

Is there a catch?
Yes. There is no official Support for Philips AV in India. You will be stuck with a lemon if it were to fail. Their cheaper displays are horrible too.
I struggle to wonder why anyone would buy a Philips when LG India have 4K 50" TV's for <55k INR. This is their web price, which means you can get it cheaper at the dealer.

Yes. There is no official Support for Philips AV in India. You will be stuck with a lemon if it were to fail. Their cheaper displays are horrible too.
I struggle to wonder why anyone would buy a Philips when LG India have 4K 50" TV's for <55k INR. This is their web price, which means you can get it cheaper at the dealer.
Sir, can you please tell me the source of your information as you had posted the same in another thread as well. On their website they list enough retailers and service centres for their TVs and I was able to connect to their customer car within minutes as well. I could have bought an equivalent LG TV for just 3k more, but I chose Philips because of longer warranty and also because more than a few people on this forum were very happy with their picture quality at that price point. Although, I don't really care for the smart features, but the fact that the model I chose, comes with Android TV 9 instead of LG WebOS, is also a plus point in my books and even the processor is better.

Last edited:
I am not much aware of TV technologies, but interestingly find Redmi and MI TVs also in a similar price bracket.
How good are these basically cell phone brands now venturing into the equally high volume TV market.

@z@m

So much misinformation being peddled here, Phillips TVs have good picture quality, much better than the trash LG IPS panels. Hope @BLASTO and @lightgamer post in this thread.

Bro !!!why ? Always negative advice without any facts..

Bro !!!why ? Always negative advice without any facts..
I am really sorry Bro! I can't help you if you don't stay up to date on things.
You want facts, then read this.
You want a top notch Philips TV, then buy a 65OLED805. Anything other than this is meant for the junk yard.
Its different if you live abroad. In India, I would not touch anything Philips makes other than their medical and Lighting equipment.

Last edited:
So much misinformation being peddled here, Phillips TVs have good picture quality, much better than the trash LG IPS panels. Hope @BLASTO and @lightgamer post in this thread.
Hey man, not really sure if I'll be helpful here. I personally don't think there's any point in buying a TV without a good contrast ratio or local dimming, so I generally don't advise people looking for a cheap TV.

Your existing 1080p TV from 2012-13 will be fine for watching most content TBH. If you really want an upgrade, get one with local dimming. IMO, no point wasting money on the cheapo TVs with 200-300 nit brightness and edge-lit backlight.

But again, that's just my opinion.

Last year Philips had few models of TV,s in DLED,showing on their website ,which is similar to mini led

I purchased my first LCD Tv back in 2005 The brand name was Syntax a Taiwan company, it came with LG IPS panel. It still works well as of today with no panel discoloration or dead pixels.

Most electronics manufacturing companies these days are just rebrand of generic designs.

The best example is IBM Lenovo where a parent company sells off a division and branding rights to a 3rd party.

Companies like Philips, Westinghouse, Sanyo, RCA, Thompson, etc.. fall into this bucket.

Hardly a couple of them make their own design and sometimes get it contract manufactured just like apple.

Ex: Samsung,Sony,Sharp,LG

It is the design and Model that matters more than the brand. Top tier brand can have longer lifespan.

Of course, the common public does not have the time or inclination to dig deep and research the truth they go by mere hearsay. Often the word of the salesperson is taken for granted and gets circulated like the gospel.

If one is looking for budget models better go for brands like MI or Vue at least they don’t sound pretentious and try to fool the gullible public to a huge extent.

I purchased my first LCD Tv back in 2005 The brand name was Syntax a Taiwan company, it came with LG IPS panel. It still works well as of today with no panel discoloration or dead pixels.

Most electronics manufacturing companies these days are just rebrand of generic designs.

The best example is IBM Lenovo where a parent company sells off a division and branding rights to a 3rd party.

Companies like Philips, Westinghouse, Sanyo, RCA, Thompson, etc.. fall into this bucket.

Hardly a couple of them make their own design and sometimes get it contract manufactured just like apple.

Ex: Samsung,Sony,Sharp,LG

It is the design and Model that matters more than the brand. Top tier brand can have longer lifespan.

Of course, the common public does not have the time or inclination to dig deep and research the truth they go by mere hearsay. Often the word of the salesperson is taken for granted and gets circulated like the gospel.

If one is looking for budget models better go for brands like MI or Vue at least they don’t sound pretentious and try to fool the gullible public to a huge extent.
mobile companies rebranding Chinese TVs.nokia ,moto, oneplus,realme ,Flipkart using brand value .its better to purchase Vu, hisence

When it comes to lighting equipment or medical Philips is still a bankable brand. I recently purchased 2 OEM Philips bulbs for my Benq projector and I won't shy away from purchasing a Philips air purifier If I really need it.

Philips has sold off its television business to a Chinese company called TP Vision. They currently have no connection with the parent company other than brand name.

They made good products once. In fact my first flat screen was a made in Belgium Philips bought in 2009 and it is still working perfectly. However right now TVs made under the Philips brand are mostly junk.

Its different if you live abroad. In India, I would not touch anything Philips makes other than their medical and Lighting equipment.

I've been using several products made by PHILIPS viz DVD Players, LED TV, headphones and even an analog radio (model no.: RL118). All these yield fantastic performance.

Philips has sold off its television business to a Chinese company called TP Vision. They currently have no connection with the parent company other than brand name.
Even if a TV is not made in China, most of its parts today are Chinese, Korean or Taiwanese. Many high quality TVs are made by the Chinese ( check the following link ).

I've been using several products made by PHILIPS viz DVD Players, LED TV, headphones and even an analog radio (model no.: RL118). All these yield fantastic performance.
I am pretty sure that everyone on this forum had several Philips products in use at home at some point in time. There was a time they made great AV equipment and appliances. I had everything from their TV's, water purifier, vacuum cleaner, rice cooker and a Kettle. In fact, the last 3 are still in use. Hi Fi, I gave up when I realized the best they could come up with was a useless Power House series. I enjoyed the Monster Micro system and thats where it ended.

I don't think its possible for anyone to screw up manufacturing a radio! However, that crown for me goes to Sony. Always had one and their digital band radios were in a different league. Philips was not in the equation.

They made some excellent LCD ones but after they sold the AV business, it was down hill from there. Absolutely horrendous products. Like I said earlier, they do great Oled but anything below this is just another TV on the shelf and not worth looking at.

This has nothing to do with products Made in China. Its common knowledge that almost everything gets made there. This is Philips lack of interest (or commitment) to the AV business which has lead to where they are.

Back