audible diff. in thx mode and standard dd & dts??

manu4panjab

hey bros.

i'm gonna buy new onkyo 807 or 1007(depend on the budget which one to go)next month
i want to ask is there any audible difference or should i say is thx modes found in onkyo avr or any other avr sound great than standard dd and dts soundtracks

has anyone try it

please reply

Last edited:
Manu, I vaguely remember having answered this question before. Anyhow here it goes again.

THX is not a audio decoding system but a way of presenting the audio with a certain level of assured quality. This was brought to the world by George Lucas in 1983 and is based upon his film THX 1183.

All sound formats, whether digital or analog, can be "shown in THX." THX is mainly a quality assurance system. For THX to be effective in your home, every item in the chain - player, amplifier, speakers, and room acoustics have to follow the THX standard. The room has to be acoustically treated, and should preferably have no parallel walls.

If you do all that is specified by THX, you will hear the sound the way the director/sound engineer wanted you to hear it.

Cheers

Hi,

THX is not a audio decoding system but a way of presenting the audio with a certain level of assured quality. This was brought to the world by George Lucas in 1983 and is based upon his film THX 1183.

All sound formats, whether digital or analog, can be "shown in THX." THX is mainly a quality assurance system. For THX to be effective in your home, every item in the chain - player, amplifier, speakers, and room acoustics have to follow the THX standard. The room has to be acoustically treated, and should preferably have no parallel walls.

Venkat all though you got the first part correct but some might've missed the other part ;)!! Specifically the part pertaining to the question that Bass King has asked !!

i want to ask is there any audible difference or should i say is thx modes found in onkyo avr or any other avr sound great than standard dd and dts soundtracks

There is a difference between THX certification and THX modes found on the most modern AVR's or AV Pre's !! There are couple of modes such as THX Cinema and Music etc !!

What these basically do is to take the input singal (irrespective of DD or DTS ) and process it according to the complex algorithm that the AVR/Pre is programmed with and send it to the Amplifier,this also depends what the AVR/Pre is certified with,As in if the AVR/Pre is certified with "THX Select"(smaller then 300SFT) then the process will happen keeping that room size in mind and to make the input signal (DD or DTS) to sound best in that size room same happens to "THX Ultra" (Larger then 300SFT) !!

The in layman's term the THX Mode will reduce the extra brightness and such in the sound make it sound more natural in the Home scenario !! why this is done ?? it is believed that the sound mastered for Cinema has more dynamic range then the capability of the Home Cinema Equipments and needs to be corrected in order to get the best possible ( how far its true ? is left to one's individual capability:p ) !!

Here's an excert from the THX site on what they have to say bout these THX Modes !

A THX Certified Pre-Amplifier not only goes through rigorous performance tests, but also embeds THX patented technology features. Through various combinations, these features are used in THX Listening Modes to give you the best possible playback experience - correcting acoustic errors that occur in the translation of content from the movie studio to your home

Hope this info is enough for our Bass King to decide :lol:!!

Regards.

Manu, I vaguely remember having answered this question before. Anyhow here it goes again.

If you do all that is specified by THX, you will hear the sound the way the director/sound engineer wanted you to hear it.

Cheers

thank you sir

Hi,

Venkat all though you got the first part correct but some might've missed the other part ;)!! Specifically the part pertaining to the question that Bass King has asked !!

There is a difference between THX certification and THX modes found on the most modern AVR's or AV Pre's !! There are couple of modes such as THX Cinema and Music etc !!

What these basically do is to take the input singal (irrespective of DD or DTS ) and process it according to the complex algorithm that the AVR/Pre is programmed with and send it to the Amplifier,this also depends what the AVR/Pre is certified with,As in if the AVR/Pre is certified with "THX Select"(smaller then 300SFT) then the process will happen keeping that room size in mind and to make the input signal (DD or DTS) to sound best in that size room same happens to "THX Ultra" (Larger then 300SFT) !!

The in layman's term the THX Mode will reduce the extra brightness and such in the sound make it sound more natural in the Home scenario !! why this is done ?? it is believed that the sound mastered for Cinema has more dynamic range then the capability of the Home Cinema Equipments and needs to be corrected in order to get the best possible ( how far its true ? is left to one's individual capability:p ) !!

Here's an excert from the THX site on what they have to say bout these THX Modes !

Hope this info is enough for our Bass King to decide :lol:!!

Regards.
thanks sir, i understand all ,i will see how thx modes perform when onkyo avr arrives next month ;)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back