Audio Rack

Vivek Batra

Hi FMs

I am thinking about getting a wooden audio rack built (teak or Sheesham). Though I have not many components for now, but I would like to plan for any future expansion. Currently I have a integrated amp, a dac and a laptop. In future I may add a TT,CD player or may be streamer etc.

First 2 shelves are 12 inces in height to allow some breathing space at the top of the amps (my amp gets very hot). My amp is 8 inches high so asuming 12 inches should be enough. The last 2 shelves are 9 inches for smaller components like dac/streamer etc. The rack top I am planning for TT and laptop that gives me an option to open the laptop and browse.

All sides open.

Hope I am not missing something crucial ? May be if you guys could give me some pointers on cable management to avoid dangling cables at the back, that would be of great help.

Thanks.

Regards
Vivek

Here is my initial sketch.

At first glance, i would say keep the power amp on the lowest shelf and increase the height to maybe 14 inches, as they generate the most heat of all the components and also tend to be heavier than other components.
Pinterest is a great reference resource for stuff like this.

At first glance, i would say keep the power amp on the lowest shelf and increase the height to maybe 14 inches, as they generate the most heat of all the components and also tend to be heavier than other components.
Pinterest is a great reference resource for stuff like this.
Hi @tuff

Thanks for the advice, I will consider this.

Thanks for sharing. Nice setup by the way.

Vivek,

Wood is a great choice for an audio rack.

Your rack design is quite tall. Any reason for that?
Also 50" wide will require sturdy beams across for heavier components.
See if you can add a support column in the middle.

Here is a picture of my DIY Teak wood rack which I got made some years ago.

Stereo Setup 2019.jpg

Few suggesrion I can think of are
1. Height of 56" can be reduced as you can use top most shelf for cd player and turn table and leave out one of lower shelf thereby reducing overall height. Too high wooden rack do not look good IMHO.

CD player and TT need our hands constantly to operate so top most shelf is the best place for these.

2. You need to keep minimum 3" from the floor for easy cleaning. That will keep your wife and maid both happy.

3. Preamp, streamers, DACs can be kept in middle shelf as all these can be operated by remote once powered.

4. As FM wrote earlier power amps should be kept on lowest shelf coz once powered on they do not to be operated except in case of integrated amp.

5. Built a rack keeping future purchases in mind.

Vivek,

Wood is a great choice for an audio rack.

Your rack design is quite tall. Any reason for that?
Also 50" wide will require sturdy beams across for heavier components.
See if you can add a support column in the middle.

Here is a picture of my DIY Teak wood rack which I got made some years ago.

View attachment 46002

Hi Sir

Thanks for posting your rack design. This looks beautiful and very well mignled with the furniture around. I like all the furniture in your room btw.

The height is due to taller shelves and 4 rows. I too feel its bit tall as compared to my speakers which are just 36". Adding a middle column would be a good idea though. My existing components are around 18" in width, I have kept 2 inches margin from left edge and same from the right edge and 10" apart from each other so that comes down to 50". I tried to keep my components side by side on a 36" table but they were too close to each other even no space for air to pass through so though of expanding a bit.

Regards
Vivek

Few suggesrion I can think of are
1. Height of 56" can be reduced as you can use top most shelf for cd player and turn table and leave out one of lower shelf thereby reducing overall height. Too high wooden rack do not look good IMHO.

CD player and TT need our hands constantly to operate so top most shelf is the best place for these.

2. You need to keep minimum 3" from the floor for easy cleaning. That will keep your wife and maid both happy.

3. Preamp, streamers, DACs can be kept in middle shelf as all these can be operated by remote once powered.

4. As FM wrote earlier power amps should be kept on lowest shelf coz once powered on they do not to be operated except in case of integrated amp.

5. Built a rack keeping future purchases in mind.
:)
Hi @rsjaurr

Thanks for your comments. Well I have a integrated amp as of now with VU meters. So I want to keep that at my eye level. Pre/Power is for future and that makes sense to keep the power amp at the bottom shelf. I am using a laptop currently for streaming hence want to keep it at the top of the rack along with TT in mind in future.

I agree that taller wooden rack may appear like a store rack:). Will see again If I can remove onelower shelf. I can for sure keep 3" below the rack for easy reach. Though I do not let any one wander around my system, the easy reach will be for my own good. :)

Regards
Vivek

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Vivek,

There are good threads on cable management. These are easy & very cost effective using cable ties. The cables will look messy & will attract lots of dust if not arranged properly.

(Pls see only the first section.)

Regards,
Nitin

Hi Vivek,

There are good threads on cable management. These are easy & very cost effective using cable ties. The cables will look messy & will attract lots of dust if not arranged properly.

Regards,
Nitin
Thanks for sharing :)

Hi Vivek,

Regards,
Nitin
Thanks for sharing :D

Hi Vivek,

Regards,
Nitin
I have the heat shrink tube thing on my iPhone cable I got with my iPhone 5 back when it’s launched. I had changed my phone several times after that. I want to see how long I can survive without paying for a lightning cable;) damn the longevity of apples cables is laughable!

I used to like the look of my equipment till my marriage - Not that I don't like how they look any more but eventually ended up moving everything to a closet that's around 15 feet away leaving only the display and speakers out (obviously :) )

If you have an unused closet in reasonable proximity, that may be another option.. Also takes out the pain of cable mgmt as you can leave everything untied inside the closet :D

I used to like the look of my equipment till my marriage - Not that I don't like how they look any more but eventually ended up moving everything to a closet that's around 15 feet away leaving only the display and speakers out (obviously :) )

If you have an unused closet in reasonable proximity, that may be another option.. Also takes out the pain of cable mgmt as you can leave everything untied inside the closet :D
My amp needs a lots of ventilation and air conditioning being Class A. :) I enjoy looking at VU meters

I have the heat shrink tube thing on my iPhone cable I got with my iPhone 5 back when it’s launched. I had changed my phone several times after that. I want to see how long I can survive without paying for a lightning cable;) damn the longevity of apples cables is laughable!

If they last long then how can they make money on their accessories;)

Great setup sir. why is there a center speaker ? where is the tv/screen ? how do you manage av receiver and stereo amp ?
There is a pulldown screen, the power amps have toggle switches to select between the stereo and A/V receiver , since i use the front towers for both stereo and HT purposes . Since there is a paucity of space i have combined by stereo & A/V setup together and hence you see the centre speaker.
cheers!

Back