Audio Rack

My design and requirement, My Audio Rack was built to precision by Sound Foundations, I can't thank FM @magma enough for this. Made up of plexiglass and steel columns it's pretty sturdy and beautiful.
Its 5.5 ft in width, 2.2 ft in Height and 1.5ft in depth. I didn't want my power amplifier to be touching the Rack and their Vibrations to Disturb the other components; So the AVR and power amplifier are not touching the Rack. They're Resting on the floor.

7AF6A36D-7952-4B8B-BA92-4DA67704DCB9.jpeg

The more the "airy" is our audio rack, the better. The concept of open from all sides, it can be extended to the "horizontal" shelves as well.
The shelf can be either "full solid" (less preferred) or be like a "zebra line with wooden stripes" with "wood-air-wood-air" pattern (more preferred).
If you see the horizontal racks in Nikhil's post, you can see it is airy with this zebra pattern and I am sure that also makes a difference in the final sound.

If you are planning for the wood rack, then try to make each shelf with one piece of wood.
This is bit difficult to get 20inch width one piece of wood especially in teak/Sheesham.
I made myself my audio rack with width 18inch one-piece wood but the wood I got was not fully dry, so it bends a little bit after 6 months.

@Vivek,

I saw your facebook page regarding Luxman gear.
In Luxman DA-06,have you changed the mains fuse?
You need fuse details,I can provide you.
This will be a good improvement in sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi vivek,

I saw your facebook page regarding Luxman gear.
In Luxman DA-06,have you changed the mains fuse?
You need fuse details,I can provide you.
This will be a good improvement in sound.
Hi Johnmichael

Thanks for your inputs on rack. Some one also mentioned that only 18 inch wide is readily available. I haven't checked it yet though.

No I have not done anything with the fuse. I guess there are many inside the dac?

Regards
Vivek²

If you are planning for the wood rack, then try to make each shelf with one piece of wood.
This is bit difficult to get 20inch width one piece of wood especially in teak/Sheesham.
I made myself my audio rack with width 18inch one-piece wood but the wood I got was not fully dry, so it bends a little bit after 6 months.
Could you please share some pics of your rack if possible?

Thanks.

Please see attached

This is a self made by me including painting and it is very heavy

Inside Luxman DA-06 dac 7 fuse is there, no need to change all, but you can change one fuse that is 200mA for Main Ac supply

Attachments

• IMG_20160707_130855753.jpg
    IMG_20160707_130855753.jpg
    958 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20190716_080755530.jpg
    IMG_20190716_080755530.jpg
    1,002.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20190716_080751675.jpg
    IMG_20190716_080751675.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 111
It is Honne wood available in local market in Bangalore
Yes. Try sawmills off Sarjapur road.
Patel Timbermart in HSR is my go to guy for raw material.

In the pic I posted, it is not hardwood, except trim
3/4" ply with double side bubinga veneer and bubinga trim
Cheers,
Raghu

I have a simple rack, which did not cost much. Two slabs of sandstone with 4 pillars separating them. Sandstone slabs absorb very well, and have a dimension of around 50" x 25". I can keep 4 things on the rack, and I can remake it economically. it is extremely rigid too. I am unable to post the picture as the file of the photo taken by the phone is too large apparently.

Last edited:
I have a simple rack, which did not cost much. Two slabs of sandstone with 4 pillars separating them. Sandstone slabs absorb very well, and have a dimension of around 50" x 25". I can keep 4 things on the rack, and I can remake it economically. it is extremely rigid too. I am unable to post the picture as the file of the photo taken by the phone is too large apparently.
Hi

Sandstone seems interesting. If you can share some pics with me, that would be great.

I was searching over the net and i liked one design. it could be suuitable if we have less components. e.g. one amp, one dac, one streamer and 2 more small items. And we dont want to keep our electronics open. height can be lesser than shown in the picture. and yes our usage is mainly with remote.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/darby-home-co-audio-rack-dbyc1555.html#96mrv9ucgyp-11
It's looks ok but in my case the amp needs lots of ventilation ideally air conditioning too. So closed space is not suited for me. Otherwise it's good to protect from dust and running children around.

Mod's note
Please use PM route to share your personal information.

Last edited by a moderator:

You could use this or any other image resizing apps to reduce the pic size. Eager to see your rack.

You could use this or any other image resizing apps to reduce the pic size. Eager to see your rack.
On iphone you dont need app. There is option available.

Attachments

• 22A70009-E3EA-441F-8A15-54A777B82450.jpeg
    22A70009-E3EA-441F-8A15-54A777B82450.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 53
On iphone you dont need app. There is option available.

Which iOS version? I don’t see it in the latest.

Thanks! Some questions:
1. What are the connecting black rods between the slabs made up of? Are they solid or hollow? Are they stuck to the slab or just sitting in a hole?
2. Some equipment are sitting on the slab, some have isolators. What’s the logic behind it?
3. Does stone add any color to the sound, or is sonically inert?

1. The black rods are solid steel. They are stuck, but with this weight (equipment is 75kg and slab is 100kg) it may not matter.
2. The cassette deck is still being set up. The CD Player is not supposed to have any footer as per the manual and doesnt seem to be in need of any new experimenting. The aftermarket footers are only for the amp and TT.
3. I think it is inert. The turntable board (black color, on which the motor is mounted) is also sandstone, simply placed into a heavy but hollow box. The sound is identical to that of the CD Player, for recordings where I have both the LP and matching CD / Hi-res. The slab making up the big rack must also be inert, I suppose, though I have no way of knowing since I cannot make any comparison with something else.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back