Audiolab Mini Meet Mumbai - Interest check

Santy

Hi Mumbaiites,

A few days back I heard the Audiolab M-DAC and the 8200A integrated and they left me totally flabbergasted.
I would say the combo sounded excellent. The dynamics were great, the imaging was spot-on and the details were terrific.

Would like to know how many of you in Mumbai would be interested to listen to them if a mini meet is arranged. It could be possible to check out the cute M-PWR power amp too, paired directly with the M-DAC. This is likely to happen at a Hifi showroom in Tardeo or at an FM's place in SOBO depending on the date and no. of participants. We could plan for 10th or 15th or 17th Aug, I am sure many FMs will be free on these days.

I assume it is enough to have 7-8 members to organize for this mini meet. Let me know. Anyone looking for a purchase or upgrade of DAC/ amplifier in this price range must give this a try according to me.

Disclaimer: You know what comes here...!

Hey Santy
am not very sure if i will be here in bbay during those dates, but if am here then i will definitely make it
understand you would prefer a confirmed presense but unfortunately my schedule is not yet confirmed
cheers

l am free on 15th August.10th is Rakshabandhan ,so not possible for me.
On15th,l am in.

Some pics of the gear. Sorry for crappy pics.

Attachments

• sIMG_1073.jpg
    sIMG_1073.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 276
  • sIMG_1079.jpg
    sIMG_1079.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 275
  • sIMG_1080.jpg
    sIMG_1080.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 274
So, 15th Aug has some votes
Mumbai guys.. come on, spare a few hours to listen to something exciting.

@Naturelover
IMO, it is very difficult to choose one over the other. They have very different sound signatures. For the first time I heard two DACs side by side, both scoring high on different characteristics but yet equally impressive and enjoyable.

The M-DAC is certainly more detailed, has a very sharp imaging, quieter background and has the typical sparkle of Sabre.
The TEAC has better build quality, smoother mids, better lows, refined top end and hence is less fatiguing.
M-DAC has preamp with remote while UD-501 is armed with DSD.
I think it would eventually boil down to personal tastes and priorities.

Last edited:
14843993723_5f77da8c82_b.jpg

14821788074_dd7383afbd_b.jpg

14637610407_1872b96d9b_b.jpg

14824156805_8d165afae8_b.jpg

14824156775_b09697f0d6_b.jpg

I like the look of the TEAC but it has had some very bad reports.

Would have liked to buy the Audiolab CD player, but could not spend so much. I wonder what is the difference between M-DAC and Q-DAC? OK, I'll see the audiolab site to find out*!

Would love to join in an Audiolab listening session ...but wrong city, wrong side of India :(. Looking forward to the next best thing: the pics and reports!

*At A Glance.... M-DAC has 2 each coax/toslink digital, balanced and unbalance analogue output, a different chip

Last edited:
I have been reading plenty of reviews but not a single neutral review I came across on Teac leave alone negative. There could be a couple of them which I might have missed but then there are reviews which ridicule many acclaimed DACs as bad. Every user of UD-501 has been very happy with its performance as far as I read and such users are only increasing. It is so musical and relaxing that it can put you to sleep if you intend to. You can listen to it for hours at a stretch you would never become fatigued. In balanced connection, the enhanced dynamic range and dark background can get you engrossed wholly in music. With native DSD, it is a great VFM overall. I should have posted a detailed review on it but could not really sit on it.

M-DAC is a different beast. Its more aggressive, crisper and has loads of detail. The imaging was so crisp that you can visualize the size of instruments easily. At the same time, it sounded bit clinical and the top end was edgy. I read here in one of the threads, that a DAC was overly detailed. I think it has some reference to the observation I had. But I understand it has got lot of organic caps in it so it may take a while to burn in.. ( we heard it straight out of the box). Many users have felt improvements after some 100 hours of usage. If you are a detail freak (like me), you will fall in love with M-DAC right away. There are 7 digital filters in it which you can tweak it to your heart's content. I do not wish to sound like promoting a brand but the best part of it is that it is available in India for almost same pricing as in the UK. FMs looking for a DAC under INR 100k should certainly listen to it. What also impressed us equally was the integrated amp 8200A. The transients were superb and it showed great aplomb in the authority it had on the speakers.

So steering back to topic, Audiolab meet, 1+3 shown interest. I know a couple of them more would join. So just a few more registrations we can make this happen.

Last edited:
I have been reading plenty of reviews but not a single neutral review I came across on Teac leave alone negative.

I'm really not trying to knock your DAC, but here. It's just another guy's opinion. You've got one and you like it, and I haven't even heard it. The most important opinion of your DAC is ...yours :)

Yes, I'm a detail freak too. I might indeed like the [MQ]-DAC.

Its not surprising for me though. The whole thread seems to have loads of crap starting from the spreadsheet itself (note that the main sheet with detailed analysis has no Teac in it). It starts with a note saying the differences among those DACs are subtle. Between M51 and a Modi? You could ask a M51 user how he reached there.

The author then says the ODAC can reveal the differences between two sources, a laptop and a gaming PC but he cannot conclude how it fares finally. Sometimes its crap and sometimes it great. As if the DAC suffers from mood swings. And he prefers Modi over a $10k DAC. Good thing is that he himself has advised to take the comments with a grain of salt. I would say, take it in truck loads. And what would you expect from this guy who thinks Esoterics are entry level and deduce further conclusions based on that assumption? And how could you give this crap as a reference to a product's performance report? Take a look at various "user" reports from head-fi, computer audiophile. etc if you are really keen. Or demo it yourself at Absolute phase if you can.

ps 1: The most important opinion of any DAC could be anything but crap.
ps 2: This is why I initially did not respond to naturelover, it can go off track.
Ps 3: This guy has some opinion about m dac and everyon thinks he got a broken piece.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/527095/new-audiolab-dac/135#post_7973403
Back to Audiolab please.

Last edited:
If someone is coming from Pune, then I can join the meet and can carry my DAC to have comparison with audiolab DAC.

Cheers

Dheeraj

Hi folks

The meet is on.
But since we are having it in showroom, I am expecting more to join.
Do chip in. No prior registrations needed.

Date and venue:
15th Aug 2014
10.00 am to 1.30 pm
Designer Audio India Pvt. Ltd.
'AC Market', Basement #1, Tardeo, Mumbai - 400034. India.
Tel: 91-22-23520320, 23524443

Equipments
Audiolab M-DAC
Audiolab M-Power
Audiolab 8200A
Audiolab 8200CDQ as transport
Quad speakers

Please be in time. You can bring your favourite music.
Comparisons with other gear after 12.30 pm if needed.

The 36 track Jana gana mana will be Good to play... Has all famous artists too and will be a nice way to celebrate the best national anthem in the world..

Have fun...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back