Audiophile network switch: SOtM SNH-10G vs EtherREGEN

Has anyone on the forum had a chance to A/B these devices? Is there a marked difference in SQ/functionality between them (the base version of SOtM, without master clock input)? I've decided to invest in a switch but could do with some advice. I know the SOtM is available in India, but if I decide to go for the Uptone Audio device, is there a way to get it into the country? Many thanks.

Has anyone on the forum had a chance to A/B these devices? Is there a marked difference in SQ/functionality between them (the base version of SOtM, without master clock input)? I've decided to invest in a switch but could do with some advice. I know the SOtM is available in India, but if I decide to go for the Uptone Audio device, is there a way to get it into the country? Many thanks.
I've been considering a network switch too, as my ethernet is via a noisy powerline plug. Apart from the two switches you've mentioned, below are some alternate options to add to the list :

1. LHY switch from Singapore.
2. Ediscreation fiber box and extreme switch from Hongkong.
3. HNE Magicnet D1 supreme from Vietnam.
4. The usual Melco, Cardas and Ansuz switches.

Coming to the clock input on the network switch, I havent seen a valid argument for one so far. And no one has posted a convincing improvement with the same. Most folks are plugging the switch to the clock because they had an additional clock port lying unused. Would like to be corrected on this.

I havent seen a valid argument for one so far. And no one has posted a convincing improvement with the same. Most folks are plugging the switch to the clock because they had an additional clock port lying unused. Would like to be corrected on this.
Let me fill the deficiencies in the HFV Forum literature.

I was using TP Link Switch with Gigabit Ports plus LPSU earlier, LPSU made lots of improvement in the Meatier Tonality over Regular PSU.
Upgraded to Silent Angel Audiophile Ethernet switch ( Entry level) with Silent Angel LPSU. Made a significant difference over consumer grade TP Link Switch.

That was a eye-opener for myself what an audiophile switch with a decent internal Clock can do in a digital chain.

Then Came Ethergen Switch which was Marginally better over Silent Angel Combo, but the Real Game Changer was Afterdark clock. Which Made significant improvement over Switch /LPSU combination. Its a very good difference with external Clock, this combo was tried in our group members and the inference was nearly the same. A Lan Dependent Source like Digital Streamer setup had much more incremental advantage over local file playback from Streamer due to obvious reasons. Mine being a Roon Setup where even Local Files are Streamed from Somewhere else in Local LAN, difference in my setup was quite obvious. Many of us Upgraded to Ethergen after that, and notably the incremental advantage with Audiophile Switch and Master Clock was Reproducible in almost all setups, @ryanrulez4ever can add further.

I'd definitely suggest Audiophile Switch with LPSU to anyone who's main source is streaming digital setup.
I'm Interested look into others like Silent Angel Highend Switch, Lhy, Melco and HNE.

Let me fill the deficiencies in the HFV Forum literature.

I was using TP Link Switch with Gigabit Ports plus LPSU earlier, LPSU made lots of improvement in the Meatier Tonality over Regular PSU.
Upgraded to Silent Angel Audiophile Ethernet switch ( Entry level) with Silent Angel LPSU. Made a significant difference over consumer grade TP Link Switch.

That was a eye-opener for myself what an audiophile switch with a decent internal Clock can do in a digital chain.

Then Came Ethergen Switch which was Marginally better over Silent Angel Combo, but the Real Game Changer was Afterdark clock. Which Made significant improvement over Switch /LPSU combination. Its a very good difference with external Clock, this combo was tried in our group members and the inference was nearly the same. A Lan Dependent Source like Digital Streamer setup had much more incremental advantage over local file playback from Streamer due to obvious reasons. Mine being a Roon Setup where even Local Files are Streamed from Somewhere else in Local LAN, difference in my setup was quite obvious. Many of us Upgraded to Ethergen after that, and notably the incremental advantage with Audiophile Switch and Master Clock was Reproducible in almost all setups, @ryanrulez4ever can add further.

I'd definitely suggest Audiophile Switch with LPSU to anyone who's main source is streaming digital setup.
I'm Interested look into others like Silent Angel Highend Switch, Lhy, Melco and HNE.
Thanks for the very detailed reply. Just the endorsement I was looking for :)

So whatever switch we eventually end up with definitely needs to have a clock input now :)

With whatever experiments/trials I have done so far, what I have realized is that the two key elements are the power supply and the clock. Both of these induce noise into the system. These are the areas where most of the companies mentioned so far, play with. I have Innous PhoenixNet and have had opportunities to compare it with Sysnergistic Research and Ediscreation and liked what all these three did to music but preferred Innuos at the end. Why Innuos because it has one of the best linear power supplies in the world which is from Sean Jacobs of UK and Innuos is the company that I think, cares seriously about sound quality that led to careful evaluation and selection of OCXO clock inside.

These switches calm down your system to reveal more detail and add 3-dimensionality to the soundstage to make your system sound more natural.

Interestingly and frustratingly it does not end here :). To realize full potential, one needs to ensure that there is no SMPS (Switched Mode Power Supply) between the ISP entry point to your home and your system. Any change between these two points adds benefit to your system.

Last edited:
I completely Echo bornfi that SMPS power supply on the routers is a tether. I changed my router to an LPS mesh(this was accidental, I was simply fixing my old SMPS router with a Mesh - not for any gains in Audio chain) and it brought down the noise floor so much so I have totally converted to Keeping the Source as clean as possible. I have bought Ansuz switch with their Cable and Power cord and am waiting on it to see if it improves anything. (Surprisingly it does not have any clock input/output and and I did not try checking for one, see reasons why below). I honestly dont expect to see huge gains in anything but my ocd levels are such that I’d rather know it for myself than remain uncertain and keep reading on and on about it.

I think you need to check for the use of the clock in the system before trying to imagine it adding value. If using USB I think the DAC clock is the most critical. Similarly, if you are using other digital formats the clock in the source and DAC will matter. I think the switch is trying to sell a good clock with the switch to increase the price - I have not found information suggesting that clock in the switch is really critical. Neither is syncing critical.
If you do, please share the same.

Also with clock inputs and outputs its extremely hard to get the synchronisation right. I have tried quite hard to sync word clocks between MSB Discreet and Aurender N20 and always liked the sound without all the syncing.

And to make the clock really work you need to virtually stack them with cable lengths less than a feet. Personally I found having a good clock in each component is better/cheaper than to get there with external clocks syncing it all together. Atleast that is my experience.

Ofcourse, if you have issues with current clocks in your source/DAC it might add value to have it sync with external clocks. But then you are solving the wrong problem.

Also, if you go down the clock syncing route, you need to have dual clocks on both the systems. One for 44kHz and One for 48kHz. That is another pain.

Please read below

Your proposition sounds logical (with the caveat that the downstream DAC is of sufficiently good quality) - all the literature I’ve read suggests the Hugo TT2-MScaler combination (that’s in my chain) takes care of clocking before feeding the preamp.

Folks, any recommendations on the below to create the fibre optic in the setup. I have a 1 GBPS connection from ACT ---

1. SFP Media Converter
2. SFP Module
3. Fibre Optic Cable recommendations as per the SFP Module.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back