Aux Power Supply for Xonar Essence ST Mod

mbhangui

I have acquired a Xonar Essence ST (PCI version) for my HTPC from a Forum member. This card does not take the power from the noisy PCI bus. Instead one connects a spare molex 8989 connector to supply power to this card. At the moment I have not been able to determine if the card uses pin 4 (+5v).

Wouldn't it be better to make a aux power supply with its own transformer, rectification and regulator which directly connects to the 230V? Assuming the card uses both the +5 volts and +12v, can someone help me in designing this? I am toying with the idea of the power supply designed by Sachin/Om. This supply should also have a relay which can be powered by the existing SMPS inside the htpc cabinet.

Or the simpler idea is to make a small PCB to which connects the molex connector from the SMPS. This PCB should have a passive filter (Cap + inductor) and the output fed to the Xonar Essence card. One could do two filters (one for 5v and another for 12v). Now the problem is I do not know how to make this filter especially the values of the inductors for caps of around 1000 mf

principe.gif

The pinout of the molex connector is as below

Pin # Color Function
1 Yellow +12 V
2 Black Ground
3 Black Ground
4 Red +5 V

I am also toying with the idea of removing the dc blocking caps on the Xonar Essence RCA out. What should be the max DC voltage on the capacitor terminal which connects to the RCA?

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back