AV Rack in chennai

Hi Flanker,

Thanks for the design. I have made stands for the Front Speakers replicating them. It has my speakers definitely sound better..Or atleast it looks so to me.

Wooden Plank was available at home. I just paid Rs 20 to cut them into Four 22 CM Squares. Wooden beading was costing Rs 50 and Cutting them into 22 Cm Length costed around Rs. 30 (Just for aestistics).

4 Inch Plastic PVC Pipe was 160 Rs. Anabond, M SEAL, Fevicol was 20 and 30 and 30 each. Fevicol was for sticking beading to Wooden Plank.
The Black Asian Paint 50 ml was costing Rs. 21.

In Total, I spent Rs. 360 for making the stands. The Sand for filling in the pipe was stolen ofcourse.

I shall be making these again, as soon as i get my new front speakers.

Thanks again Flanker and Venkat Sir !!!

regards,
Prasanna KV

Attachments

• hifi - step2.jpg
    hifi - step2.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 236
  • hifi - step3.jpg
    hifi - step3.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 235
  • hifi - Final One 3.JPG
    hifi - Final One 3.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
How did you get that marvelous paint finish? Spray Paint? did you have to buy a spray gun or did you rent it?

Regards

Hi Venkat Sir / Gobble,

Thanks for response..

It weighs 13.5 Kgs !! I just weighed it this morning. Forgot to attach the pic.

Gobble, It is handpainted. I guess it is glossy since it is on PVC. But on closer look esp on the top most part and ends of paint, it looks like Matt Finish. ;-)

Btw..Venkat sir, Can MDF PLank be of same size.?? or should it be of diff size? I cehcked Flanker's TNT Audio link. In those Speaker Sand DIY Projects, i see Top and bottom MDF planks of diffferent sizes.

I shall plan accordingly for the next set of stands

Cheers
Prasanna KV

The top plank should be the same size as the bookshelf. The bottom plank can be larger to provide extra stability.

Nest time see if you an take four solid brass plates with a small angle on both side. Bolt one end of these plates at four places across the pipe at the bottom and the other end of the plates to the bottom plank. Another way is to get a solid wood cylinder whose length is two to four inches, and whose outer diameter is exactly equal to the inner diameter of the tube. Bolt this cylinder solidly to the base plank, and screw the plastic pipe onto the wooden cylinder. You can also use attractive wood screws to bolt the pipe onto the cylinder.

This way the pipe will have solid grounding.

Cheers

I just saw a pair of 1.5 foot height MDF stools and a graceful unpretentious TV stand ( for amp and cd player). Matching cherry finish of my bed panels (mattress also at 1.5 foot height), side table and perhaps speakers too. Its a Zuari product, not flimsy in joints ( supported by firm metal "L" brackets screwed in nicely ). The stools are @900/- each. I am tempted to attach 4 spikes to the bottom and use them as speaker stands. The top will extend on the speaker sides, but I can position the grilles over the edge.

What do you folks think are the pitfalls - will it degrade the sound? The matching decor to my furniture is too tempting... :D

Regards

hi Prasanna,

sorry for late reply. my net was down for the past 3 days -blame it on BSNL or one more shark chewing up the transatlantic cable, whatever

Great job man. finish is excellent! I am sure you had loads of fun doing it and saved more of money too.

hi gooble

there should be no pitfalls. If you like it and think it goes well with your decors just go ahead. it being made out of MDF should be fine

hi gooble

there should be no pitfalls. If you like it and think it goes well with your decors just go ahead. it being made out of MDF should be fine

Hello Flanker

My specific concern was because the weight of the stool is much less than the speaker. Will it vibrate/resonate/shake and slide on the floor when I blast music?

Sound should not change right? It is made from standard 19mm thickness MDF board.

Regards

Last edited:
spiked rods (turned on a precision lathe) to keep away acoustic feedback. Guess what, the entire thing cost me about Rs 3000 and it is a proper Hi-Fi rack with no pretensions

Hi Flanker

Where can I get steel rods to build this rack? od they need to be 18mm or can they be larger diam? Is it easy for an amateur to drill through the pre-laminate MDF without spoiling its looks?

Regards

The top plank should be the same size as the bookshelf. The bottom plank can be larger to provide extra stability.

Nest time see if you an take four solid brass plates with a small angle on both side. Bolt one end of these plates at four places across the pipe at the bottom and the other end of the plates to the bottom plank.

This way the pipe will have solid grounding.

Cheers

Hi Venkat Sir,

being a pin head, I find it very hard to understand. May i call you or meet you in person to understand it more.

If Few more are insterested we can take up making stands as well as the effort is going to be almost the same. I know a very good carpenter who can help us in this.

Regards,
Prasanna KV

Hi Flanker,

Thanks for response :)

I share the same question as Gobble. Where can we source the materials mentioned.

Regards,

Prasanna KV

Yeah! I am about to buy a TV stand as a temporary stop-gap arrangement. By the time you hit ENTER I might have bought one aready .. Hurry Pluze! :p

cheers

Thanks flanker, Venkat, Prasanna for the valuable info. Need a rack and speaker stands soon. Tempted to try the diy but I'm afraid i'll screw up the whole thing. If anyone can suggest a good carpenter in Chennai, it would be great.

i have already bought ASI rack which is ready for delivery in US and expected within a week,s time

Hi.

I too searched all over Chennai for an AV rack, but not even one I could find for dedicated AV equipments. Audio People has some nice AV racks that he uses for his high-end equipments, but all imported from Singapore, so if ordered have to wait for a long time, i guess. There is one nice three-shelf 10 mm glass AV rack, very very solid, which I stumbled upon accidentally at Sony showroom in Velachery for sale, they quoted me around 9k. I can enquire if you're okay with the price. If they're still available, you can come down to Sony at Velachery and have a look before taking the plunge.

Cheers.

I enquired sony velachery today and they are saying its not available..

My goodness, Prabhu, I posted my findings in 2008, and after 5 years you enquired Sony about the rack. What a resurrection!!

:)

This is very common with New forum members. They, being proactive to post in some forums, wakeup the dead forums, without seeing the date of the last post.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back