Slow Build : 5.1.2 | ₹ ~ 1L | 11' X 16.5' Living room

Hello everyone,

Basically the title. I am looking for the below setup, is there something I can do better for my money?

My Hardware:

Output:
- Sony W672G 47" TV (Prime/Netflix is inbuilt, its not android TV, but I hope it would work, if anyone has any inputs, I'd appreciate it)
- MAYBE, just MAYBE add a projector setup in future when I got some space. but if I do this, I most probably would get rid of the TV. nothing planned yet. this is too far into future.

Input:
- OSMC on my Pi
- Gaming PC
- Tata Sky
- MAYBE, just MAYBE add a PS5 in future. nothing planned yet. this is too far into future.

what I'm looking for:

- 5.1.2 surround & media at home with some good music (50%) and movies & TV (50%),
- As much amazing soundstage as possible, I love an amazing soundstage if I can pinpoint what is playing where.
- I'd love to add my PC output through HDMI and start gaming as well (in future).
- Proper, atleast as close as possible to Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 with available resources.

what I'm NOT looking for :p:

- To give heart attack/wake up my neighbors
- getting thrown out of my apartment

so I'll be basically keeping volumes at ~ 40% & I need some quality audio.

My audio taste: neutral music with a touch of base. think natural music but leaning about 10% on the warmer side. if anyone has the Bose Soundsport Free, on those lines. OR slightly more base on on the AudioTechnica's ATH M50X, but with some very good soundstage & depth to the audio. to be able to say what is coming from where.

Where I want this setup: Vijayawada

Who/how to set it up: guess I have to DIY the wiring, and I'd love that, just need some guidance & I'm sure I can get it done.

Currently at Hyderabad for some personal work & here till the lockdown eases further. I'm saving up now, not sure when I'll be able to pick them up, but it's a slow build, but I'd like to save up & pick them all at once & hook the setup at my home myself and start enjoying the Dolby Atmos. I do have some experience in fixing wiring & stuff at home & electronics (not sure if fixing wiring for my vaccum cleaner & roti maker counts) so I do have a drill & the needed hardware & basic experience to wall mount stuff. I hope I can do the wiring also myself correctly.

With that, below is my current pick based on my research & currently available information, need your inputs in turning it better. the prices are approx & I've roamed locally in Hyderabad taking auditions & tests before finalizing on the below:

ComponentModelAmount
AV ReceiverYamaha - 585
47600​
SubSunfire SDS-8
47000​
MidTaga C90-SL
12500​
L & RQ Acoustics Concept 20
40000​
Rear SurroundJBL Control 1 Pro
10000​
Top SurroundJBL Control 1 Pro
10000​
Total

Why did I pick the above combination:

AV Receiver : I love to have something related to Yamaha Audio in my home, I don't know why, I just love it. seeing a lot of artists using Yamaha instruments, it makes me feel different about Yamaha. something upscale or a level higher. but if I have better option for my money, I'm open to it. I initially was looking at Pioneer, but nobody here in Hyderabad seems to be supportive about it.

What I need in AV Receiver:

- 5.1.2 Support
- Bluetooth
- At least 4 HDMI inputs

Sub : I first auditioned for the Taga 606 - I was impressed, but then found the base to be perfect & tight & controlled. I was wondering what's up, check & found he was using a SunFire SDS-12. I really loved it. so looked & trying to fix on the SunFire SDS-8 Inch passive/active sub.

Mid : Just shooting in the dark here, no idea what's good, but one dealer recommended Heco Victa prime 102. he said its good & quoted 12K for it. If anyone can tell me about Heco, I'd much appreciate it. Based on specifications, i'm looking at Taga C90-SL. but I'd love a proper mid with a very good depth. He said that it's pretty much better than the Wharfedale's more expensive Diamond mid.

L & R : I was impressed with the 606s and the dealer recommended to go to 606i, then I saw the Q Acoustics 3050 & asked for a demo. I was even more impressed. Did some digging, spoke a to a friend who is a member here & introduced the bug that bit me for a HT setup for my home. He said since I'm getting a dedicated sub, I need to focus on quality mids & highs for them. So, I found too much base literally everywhere else I've been, I know its all about the tuning still, need better value for my ₹₹₹.

I started to see reviews & was trying to figure out how to fit that into my budget, then came across this & this and finally decided on the Concept 20 for quality Mid & Highs. Then, auditioned the Heco Victa Prime 702, I did feel pretty good depth & the soundstage was decent among the multiple songs I played on bluetooth, I know its not something I can judge on, but I only had that option. any inputs here is good.

If I got the book shelf type & simply replace my current book shelf speakers or do I need to make a stand and then place them on it?

Surrounds: I have Edifier R1280DB, not sure how I can repurpose them, they are powered, not passive like all these. so looking at the JBL pairs for the surrounds. Light, I've heard on youtube & they sound good enough to me :p

below are the alternatives from what I've heard & the quotes from dealers around here:

Vector HyderabadAutomations HyderabadUSK Hyderabad
ComponentModelAmountModelAmountModelAmountModelAmountModelAmount
AV ReceiverYamaha - 585
47000​
Yamaha - 585
47600​
SubEarthquake
40000​
SunFire SDS-12
74000​
Yamaha 315
27990​
Polk OWM3
17000​
MidHeco - Victaprime 102
12000​
Yamaha NSC 444
14000​
Polk S30
25000​
L & RHeco - Victaprime 702
48900​
Wharfedale Diamond 11.3
60000​
Qacoustics 3050i
70000​
Yamaha 555
49482​
Polk S50
47500​
Notes10% Discount

Below is my house plan, My living room is L shaped, I hope I can use some good curtains & cutoff the dining & make it better acoustically (hopefully).

View attachment 47754

below are the only images I have of my hall. it has two fans. its a rented place. there's false ceiling with lights and all. so cutting a hole & pushing roof speakers aren't really an option, besides its too much work.

One advantage I have is that there's one wiring space for me from behind the TV till the junction box on the first image below, the box is to the right of my prayer spot. from where the yellow internet wire is coming out.

So, I can route some wires from there and fix the rear/ceiling speakers.

View attachment 47755

also, the PC table is exactly where the window on the hall is on the right, below the AC on the below image. the PC table is 1.5' X 2.2' approx. this is an older image, but its what i have.

The sofa is about 6' from the TV. so what I'm planning is to have rear surrounds 1' above my ear level on left & right walls. but I'm open for better placements.

I'm planning to keep the sub beside the PC table, about 45 degrees behind my sofa on the right. approximately the "NZXT" box on the left in above image.

View attachment 47756

Limitations:

- False ceiling is something I can't cut & push speakers into them. Too much work & cost. & I might stay there for a couple years tops. nothing too long. It's a rented place.
- How much ₹₹₹ should I allocate for this little project? an estimate should do. these are mostly custom stuff.
- If I got the book shelf type & simply replace my current book shelf speakers or do I need to make a stand and then place them on it?
- There's a PC table that's about the width of the window & extends out about 1.5' towards the living area.
- Two Fans on the ceiling of the long hall

Below is my solution to hang it on a extended plank screwed onto the wall that's parallel to the ceiling on either side:

OR

I can use a single plank and "connect" the two ends of the wall, run a wooden plank parallel to my ceiling across the hall connecting the two walls & mount the speakers on the wood plank.

Not sure if the cost will be worth it, the aesthetics of a big plank of wood on top of my head mounted speakers on them, I can think of some ideas to make them look nice & aesthetically pleasing as well. but the placement is what I'm worried, I got two ceiling fans for the hall. so directly above the sofa, is the open space between the two fans.

I also am not sure how much ₹₹₹ should I allocate for this kind of fabrication on wood.

View attachment 47753

I'm in no hurry absolutely & I'll take many months from now till I finish this build. But I'm looking at fine tuning & perfecting & planning my setup with the available time.

Any upcoming models recommendationions are also welcome.

Thank you,
Ajay

I'm selling my Fronts and Center. I guess it would fit your bill nicely. Its a Paradigm Monitor 9 V7 and Paradigm Center 3 V7.. Let me know if you are interested..

Attachments

• 15998201282190.jpg
    15998201282190.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 15994905662072.jpg
    15994905662072.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 15994904892720.jpg
    15994904892720.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 61
Hi Friends,

I am planning to set up a home theatre room. The dimensions of the room are 18’ 7 1/2” x 13”. I plan to put a 65” TV (already available) with a projector screen that can be remotely operated. The room is almost ready and false roofing would start shortly. The cabling for surround/rear speakers and projector would be routed through the false ceiling. Hence the layout of the speakers needs to be worked out immediately. I plan to build the setup in two stages. First would be to get an AV receiver with a decent speaker set. I would get a projector later. The budget for first stage is 1.5 lacs.
Lighting of the room would be also done to match the ambience.
There is a massive glass door on one side covering most of the wall about 13’ out of 18‘ wall. There is a 8’ wide window in the rear. The glass wall wouldn’t allow me to place any speaker other than roof mounted ones on that section. Floor or wall mounted speakers can be installed only on the front wall/floor and the rear wall/ floor. I did some research and thought that 5+2+2 setup may work fine in this room. 2 of these speakers would be roof mounted. Rest all can be on floor or wall. I have enclosed the layout of the room. I need suggestions for the following:-
1. Placement of speakers and type (wall mounted, floor standing, ceiling mounted). I need this info immediately as I need to get the wiring done along with false ceiling work which is about to start.
2. Type and impedance of wires. Would a low impedance wire meet the requirement of a high impedance system. This because the final parameters of the system are yet to be decided.
3. Decent combination of AV receiver and speakers. This is something that I can decide over a couple of months.
4. Since I need to lay the wires for projector, I need to know the right (optimal) distance of the same from the AV wall. I plan to put Active HDMI cable, power cable and Ethernet cable for the projector. Is it OK?
5. Although I have mentioned 5+2+2 layout, I can go for something different if felt by experts on this forum.
6. A full HD projector. Or a 4K one.
7. I have asked questions that appeared to me. I am sure that experts may be able to suggest on certain issues that I have not listed above.FA2D839E-26D6-402C-B911-1302D32E33EF.jpeg

Thanks.

I hope you have already considered calculating power requirements, this is the biggest mistake I did. It is very important that you need a good voltage servo stabilizer to protect your expensive equipment and make sure you have proper air circulation for the AVR and air conditioner is very useful if ambient temperatures are high during summer. My subwoofer stopped working due to fluctuations and AVR gave up after 6 months due my poor power planning. And based on your requirements, I would suggest JBL 9.1 Dolby Atmos Soundbar + Wifi Subwoofer, you could just get it around 80k and its really amazing. Even the LG Meridian Dolby Atmos did impress me a lot, but this JBL 9.1 is just another level. you can just place those upfiring detachable speakers behind for Dolby Atmos effect. I suggest that you audition these. But make sure you have a 4k firestick or eARC enabled TV to experience dolby atmos. you can connect 4k firestick and make a pass through to your TV, if your TV doesnt have eARC or HDMI 2.1.
Just Sharing, hope this helps.

Last edited:
I hope you have already considered calculating power requirements, this is the biggest mistake I did. It is very important that you need a good voltage servo stabilizer to protect your expensive equipment and make sure you have proper air circulation for the AVR and air conditioner is very useful if ambient temperatures are high during summer. My subwoofer stopped working due to fluctuations and AVR gave up after 6 months due my poor power planning. And based on your requirements, I would suggest JBL 9.1 Dolby Atmos Soundbar + Wifi Subwoofer, you could just get it around 80k and its really amazing. Even the LG Meridian Dolby Atmos did impress me a lot, but this JBL 9.1 is just another level. you can just place those upfiring detachable speakers behind for Dolby Atmos effect. I suggest that you audition these. But make sure you have a 4k firestick or eARC enabled TV to experience dolby atmos. you can connect 4k firestick and make a pass through to your TV, if your TV doesnt have eARC or HDMI 2.1.
Just Sharing, hope this helps.

Thanks Volksjger,

I already have LG Soundbar SL8YG. It used to sound good till I auditioned few systems in a showroom. Wanted to upgrade a few steps and go for dedicated speakers for various channels. I have auditioned few systems and realised that dedicated centre speakers were almost always better than Soundbar speakers.
Adequate and relatable power supply is an important aspect that I would definitely consider as advised by you. In fact I was already planning to put an inverter cum UPS to ensure stable power supply. Your experience on this front appears to make it a necessity.

Thanks Volksjger,

I already have LG Soundbar SL8YG. It used to sound good till I auditioned few systems in a showroom. Wanted to upgrade a few steps and go for dedicated speakers for various channels. I have auditioned few systems and realised that dedicated centre speakers were almost always better than Soundbar speakers.
Adequate and relatable power supply is an important aspect that I would definitely consider as advised by you. In fact I was already planning to put an inverter cum UPS to ensure stable power supply. Your experience on this front appears to make it a necessity.
I did a lot of mistakes building a home theatre, I wish that you don't do any and enjoy your hi-fi system to the fullest for what its worth. And in India, power safety should be given paramount importance to safeguard your equipment and when my subwoofer failed, it's like my HT lost its life. Until then I was watching Jurrasic World and was having a very rich experience and all of a sudden no earth shattering bass from the sub. It's a bad experience, I reckon. But a lesson learnt. Cheers.
Hope this video helps.

Interesting observation. What makes you think they’re downplayed?

sorry for the late response, this project is on hold & might happen at a different location than the one mentioned on the first post, life changes & throws you around and makes you go places you didn't even think of.
So, my new "theater" room is about 12' x 12' in an apartment where neighbors & parents aren't "liberal", so I have to account for acoustics now, have to seal the room for the windows & the doors so no sound escapes.

so why I feel they're being downplayed, I called them, their local head & the dealers, none of them followed up with me for an audition. neither the local guys are actually even keeping stock of this brand. I am not sure why, is it because "desi" = inferior quality OR "imported"/international brand = better quality tag OR the fact that most of the international brands are the ones which have quality reviews & since more buyers know & ask for the said brands and hence the Indian co. isn't able to compete? only they know.

Hi Friends,

I have heard a lot about Sonodyne as a decent home grown solution for various sound requirements. Visited their website and realised that the products have decent specs and prices. The question arises about the quality, availability, servicing, reliability and finally value for money. These aspects can be commented upon by someone who has experienced Sonodyne.

http://sonodyne.com/sonoguide. This is the link to their speaker packages.

Request any FMs who have an insight on Sonodyne to enlighten us.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back