AV Receiver from Canada. Good idea?

Onri

I have a friend coming from Canada next month. He is ready to get an AV Receiver for me. (he is dedicating a bag for me).
Considering the crazy prices here in India, is this a good idea (incl the cost of transformer). What would be the pros and cons of buying an AVR from Canada and getting a transformer here?
I'm thinking of going for an entry level 5 channel AVR like Yamaha 385, V4A or Pioneer 534. Marantz is expensive in Canada. My preference is 60% music and 40% movies.

Then pls consider Nad, Marantz or Anthem(which may be may be slightly more expensive). Nad could be cheaper there.
If you are interested in pre-owned stuff then you can search in the link and ask your friend to purchase the amp for you. You may get even other amps in great condition for a much lesser price unlike in India. This is a much better version of our Olx for audio in US and Canada though I have not purchased anything from this site. You can check with others who have done so.

You may need a step down transformer.

Last edited:
I have a friend coming from Canada next month. He is ready to get an AV Receiver for me. (he is dedicating a bag for me).
Considering the crazy prices here in India, is this a good idea (incl the cost of transformer). What would be the pros and cons of buying an AVR from Canada and getting a transformer here?
I'm thinking of going for an entry level 5 channel AVR like Yamaha 385, V4A or Pioneer 534. Marantz is expensive in Canada. My preference is 60% music and 40% movies.
Harman Kardon mid 2000's receivers. NOT 2011+, mid 2000's or earlier are ALSO good. Boomy crisp sound.

Then pls consider Nad, Marantz or Anthem(which may be may be slightly more expensive). Nad could be cheaper there.
If you are interested in pre-owned stuff then you can search in the link and ask your friend to purchase the amp for you. You may get even other amps in great condition for a much lesser price unlike in India. This is a much better version of our Olx for audio in US and Canada though I have not purchased anything from this site. You can check with others who have done so.

You may need a step down transformer.
I did look at this site, but was not sure about it. But now that you mention, giving it another thought.

I did look at this site, but was not sure about it. But now that you mention, giving it another thought.
Long back. I was contemplating on getting speakers from Usaudiomart or Audiogon. But the customs duty and logistics shelved the idea.
I remember asking some FM's on Hfv and they had testified those are legit sites. But would request you to ask again as in my case I would have taken that route according to the sellers ratings.

Arre you taking about something like this?

Yes, exactly like that. Recommended. Heavy transformer inside big sound high current capability amplifier

Arre you taking about something like this?

These two channel amplifiers are supposed to be really good too.

Need suggestion.
My friend has agreed to get an AVR from Canada. There are two options I have.

1. 20k INR (used)
www.canuckaudiomart.com

Marantz SR5007 7.2 w/remote

Up for sale is a very nice all around receiver that will do it all! Blu-Ray, Phono, MP3/ USB Connections and all the rest that you'd except from a modern receiver. Aftermarket remote that works perfectly. The only flaw this unit has is the front RCA panel cover is missing.Asking $325 shipped to...
www.canuckaudiomart.com
www.canuckaudiomart.com

2. 24k INR (new)

AVR-S540BT 5.2 Ch. 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver | Denon™

The Denon AVR-S540BT 5.2 channel 4K Ultra HD AV receiver offers 70W per channel, 5 HDMI inputs & wireless music streaming via bluetooth.
www.denon.com

Which one should I go with? Will there be a problem with customs for used/new products?

Need suggestion.
My friend has agreed to get an AVR from Canada. There are two options I have.

1. 20k INR (used)
www.canuckaudiomart.com

Marantz SR5007 7.2 w/remote

Up for sale is a very nice all around receiver that will do it all! Blu-Ray, Phono, MP3/ USB Connections and all the rest that you'd except from a modern receiver. Aftermarket remote that works perfectly. The only flaw this unit has is the front RCA panel cover is missing.Asking $325 shipped to...
www.canuckaudiomart.com
www.canuckaudiomart.com

2. 24k INR (new)

AVR-S540BT 5.2 Ch. 4K Ultra HD AV Receiver | Denon™

The Denon AVR-S540BT 5.2 channel 4K Ultra HD AV receiver offers 70W per channel, 5 HDMI inputs & wireless music streaming via bluetooth.
www.denon.com

Which one should I go with? Will there be a problem with customs for used/new products?
The Marantz SR 5007 is an older receiver and not sure if it supports HDMI.
At reasonable pre-owned prices, it is better to get a 4K receiver with the latest sound formats.

I got AVR Denon S760H from USA, and the product has warranty in USA and Canada, also its functions @ 120v, so a step-down transformer is required.
But considering the price difference as compared with India dealers, it's worth buying one from Canada or USA, also I feel you should opt for latest versions, so you will not require any upgrades any time soon.
Cause it will still save your 50% of your budget as compared to Indian products.
Also a step-down transformer is not that expensive, if your requirement of step-down transformer is only for a AVR, if you want to use step-down for other equipments along with AVR, then you have to decide on how much wattage is required.
Also, if budget of an AVR is not an issue, I would suggest you to go for the best specs and latest versions, cause if you purchase any expensive AVR with great specs, the same will cost a bomb in India.
I would strongly recommend to carry AVR in hard shell bag with adequate cautioning and stuff packed around the bag, just to avoid any damage, cause you will not get any warranty for the products imported from Canada.
I hope it helps, all the best for your HT setup
Regards

Thanks to Euro and GBP tanking...better to look for European friends to get stuff. No voltage converter needed as well. Post VAT refund, may even beat US prices

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back