AV Reciever with Bright sound...thoughts?

Hi all audio experts.

Till now I had many AVR. Marantz, Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha's. The only AVR I loved is SONY. The reason being I love Bright sound.

This may be due to I am coming from background of STK IC world, the stk 9091/4141 amps since childhood.

Let me talk only about pure sound quality.
Yes, all Recievers sound good no doubt about that. But in case of higher mid frequency band(2khz-7khz) , i mean the bells and whistle sound, is great in only one thing Sony.

Even low end Sony 850 killed high end Marantz sr7006 in the area, be it music or movies, tried will many speakers from various brands, no change.

The problem is now I eventually want to upgrade my SONY 850 Reciever, and below are two choices.
Sony STR DA3000ES.
Denon x4100.

I haven't heard DENON in my setup till now.

Please help me your expert advice.

If you need Bright AVR,then Pioneer,Sony,Yamaha(some models),even anthem can be considered.They will be brighter relatively as most of manufacturer are trying to refine there sound signature.Pairing them with brighter speakers may help.:)

I actually find denon's rather cold and analytical. Accurate is a good way to put it. But I am comparing old denons (3600, 5700, 2807, 1910 are the ones I have used the most) and old yamaha's (DSP 3090, RX-Z9 etc).

My marantz sr5002 to my ear sounded fantastic and accurate and yet musical on my B&W 802 - so take this for what its worth. I have no experience with any sony of any significance.

Cool.
Srinath.

Prashant.....
Just a curious question... You already have STR DN850 and which performs good which you said. Then why do you want to upgrade it?

Even low end Sony 850 killed high end Marantz sr7006 in the area, be it music or movies, tried will many speakers from various brands, no change.
Well Marantz did not launch SR-7006.Is it 7009?
Secondly I did not get you.Is Sony better in 5-7K frequency or soft?

Thanks for all of your helpful replies, I think I will not go with Denon.
I am tending to go with Sony ES series recievers, evaluating two now -
Sony STR DA5800ES
or
Sony STR ZA2000ES

Last edited:
Well Marantz did not launch SR-7006.Is it 7009?
Secondly I did not get you.Is Sony better in 5-7K frequency or soft?

I mean my Marantz 5006 not 7006.

Frankly Marantz has made these frequency range softer, no matter I step up or change manual eq. These frequency get muffled.
It Seems Marantz people have played with midrange tones to make them very soft for me.
I have been trying to get that punch in bell sound but cannot get that good in Marantz.

Vs in SONY, I even need not to configure anything, it feels more built in.

Just a curious question... You already have STR DN850 and which performs good which you said. Then why do you want to upgrade it?

Hi vinothkumar,

Yes, STR DN850 is indeed good if you talk about sound quality, but It still lacks the clarity or the sound which can be reproduced by mid high end receivers ( Like Marantz SR series or Pioneer LX series )

I am thinking, if Sony STR DN850 sounds this good, then just imaging how SONY elite ES series reciever might sound.

Plus little hopeful about, Sony ZA2000ES / DA5800ES can be the dream receiver, which can produces that dream sound, which I have been looking from last 4-5 years.:eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
I have found that high-end AVR tend to sound softer.Most of the low end AVR has poor power and so they start shouting when played louder which can sound bright. High-end AVRs on other hand have more power and better power supply(even parts).So they tend to sound warmer.Sometime back I got chance to compare Pioneer VSX series with LX and I found LX very warm in Demo room.Same with Yamaha lower models and Aventage series(which sounded softer).

Spirovious is right.

I would put the analogy between a cat and a lion. A cat meowing sounds shrill as it wants it's voice to show its existence, whereas a lion puts a basic growl as it knows it's presence is known. :) Same goes with AVRs. :)

Good Prashant...

It seems like ES series are more costly than LX and Aventage series... And even you can not buy it in India. You have to buy it on abroad only... Will you ready ready to pay customs and shipping also???????????

Good Prashant...

It seems like ES series are more costly than LX and Aventage series... And even you can not buy it in India. You have to buy it on abroad only... Will you ready ready to pay customs and shipping also???????????

Vinothkumar,
Yes you are correct, I have to buy from US and paying customs. I know warranty concerns.
I am buying from ebay global buy.

Prashant

Sibilance usually nestles in the 4k - 7k Range. With Vocals it can get pretty tiresome hearing the sssss in most dialogues.

However to each his own .....

Prashant

Sibilance usually nestles in the 4k - 7k Range. With Vocals it can get pretty tiresome hearing the sssss in most dialogues.

However to each his own .....

Flash,

Thats what I got replay from Marantz guys to my Email. I have asked for switch to disable this bandpass filters. I don't know how much they cater to this end user request.

I feel, Movies is fine, but for music Manufacturers should not do these stunts. But unfortunate that all are doing so. I am feeling that I am missing some where. May be.

Lucky guy :)

How much did you pay? Can you please update the price along with customs and shipping?

Last edited:
Finally Ordered STR-ZA2000ES.

I will update my experience soon.
Hi Prashant,
In your signature i see that you own 3 projectors, a Sony HTIB, 2 receivers, many speakers. Just curious, do you currently have all those systems? What do you do all with all of them? Please don't mind, genuinely curious :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back