Is there an Imax in Chennai ,and if it is there is Avtaar being Screened there , cud be visiting chennai on wed/thr , or else i guess will have to plan on a hyderabad trip :lol: have heard a lot abt prasads Imax at hyd ,this will be the best reason for a visit

Kudos man. You are the ultimate movie freak seeing both in 2D and 3D.

Is there an Imax in Chennai ,and if it is there is Avtaar being Screened there , cud be visiting chennai on wed/thr , or else i guess will have to plan on a hyderabad trip :lol: have heard a lot abt prasads Imax at hyd ,this will be the best reason for a visit

Subhash, Prasad's Imax is a very good theater both for SQ and PQ. I saw a Harry Potter movie there. Some parts of the movie were in 3D.

Sathyam and Devi's projector's are of the best in Asia.I ve seen movies in few other Asian cities and they did not compare well with the pic quality that these theaters offered. Although Devi became garbage in terms of maintenance and got renovated now, it still has an excellent sound and projector&Screen setup.

+1 to that. I love watching the movies especially in Devi. Watching there in the curved screen is amazing

Thanks,
Prakash.

India particularly north has a far way go as far as 3D is concerned. JC made this movie specifically for 3D that can be viewed on a Real 3D or Dolby 3D or least XpanD and it should be seen in a theater that has that technology, unfortunately for me 3D ruined every experience for an otherwise decent movie. No clarity, on color richness, no brightness, ... nothing.... just plain simple sense of depth nothing else (very much like Superman returns which again was poor on 3D for me). Visuals and colors are so spectacular that I would have enjoyed this far more in pure HD rather than lame 3D. The detailed level with which the Alien World has been created is impeccable. Character development is good (nothing spectacular), Story is typical and far too predictable, but the last battle action sequences takes your breath away.......I'd wait for the BR to rewatch it to fully enjoy it.

To conclude I'd say for me District 9 still was the best movie of 2009

India particularly north has a far way go as far as 3D is concerned. JC made this movie specifically for 3D that can be viewed on a Real 3D or Dolby 3D or least XpanD and it should be seen in a theater that has that technology, unfortunately for me 3D ruined every experience for an otherwise decent movie. No clarity, on color richness, no brightness, ... nothing.... just plain simple sense of depth nothing else (very much like Superman returns which again was poor on 3D for me). Visuals and colors are so spectacular that I would have enjoyed this far more in pure HD rather than lame 3D. The detailed level with which the Alien World has been created is impeccable. Character development is good (nothing spectacular), Story is typical and far too predictable, but the last battle action sequences takes your breath away.......I'd wait for the BR to rewatch it to fully enjoy it.

To conclude I'd say for me District 9 still was the best movie of 2009
A lot of movie buffs have same feeling .I am asking a question how many guys see themselvs watching Avatar 4 th time? What about even 2 nd time??

A lot of movie buffs have same feeling .I am asking a question how many guys see themselvs watching Avatar 4 th time? What about even 2 nd time??

I will definately see it for atleast the second time on BR. Subsiquent viewing will depend how good the BR is in A/V quality. Its not the movie I am that dissappointed, rather the lame 3D india has, I am pretty sure if you watch this again on RealD or Dolby3D technology with IMAX and blazzing audio setup the experience could be one of a life time. The same can be read from the experience peopel have shared on IMDB fourms.

Last edited:
I watched the movie on Sunday night at Fame Lido here. The screen was dirty dim and for a change the sound was ok. Though my first 3d movie experience the one thing that i really kept wishing for was to have the screen cover my entire area of view.
Hence i am certain that the Dolby 3D and real 3D versions would deliver it in all its glory
Having said that i am pretty sure i will be doing a second time viewing at another theatre. Would still love to watch the Thanator chase sequence, Neyitri's Banshee ride, Jake's taming of the Banshees and obviously the entire battle sequence which means literally everything that involved Pandora.

yday @ URVASHI for the 6pm 3D show, this is my second time ,first viewing in 3D ----------ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, STUNNING, if this is the technology now ,wonder what wud it be 5 yrs from now

abt the theatre--screen is clean , also saw a huge new screen lying outside ,looked like it had just arrived
compared to multiplexes this theatre definetly has a bigger/cleaner screen

yes the brightness does drop with the glases ,abt 10:/:
glases are cool
SQ is great
This is one movie which invites u for multiple viewings

Awesome sighseeing trip of Pandora . Thats how I would put it, I did not expect much in terms of story, but for sheer visual effects its a treat. Got a little dragging at times, story is very predictable and can be associated with some other movies we have seen in the past.

If all you need is a awesome 3D movie experience you would love it, even with really pathetic equipements which I believe the Inox ppl here in Blr had it was a joy to see the world of Pandora.

As aneel mentioned earlier in this thread the lens of the projector( or whatever it was) was dirty and some of the 3d stuff was blurry as well especially the objects closer to you.

Gonna watch it again in my native (Trivandrum) where i guess the sound and video would be much better. These PVR & Inox ppl are ripping off ppls money for some nice led lights and seats to sit on and nothing else in terms of video or audio quality.

Good movie Great experience even with pathetic theatres which cannot show the technological marvel James Cameroon has created in full glory.

I keep hearing this "dolby 3d" and "real 3d". I understand these are standards/technologies used to watch 3d cinema. Are these the ones used in India ?
Are movies created to be watched using certain technologies ?

I keep hearing this "dolby 3d" and "real 3d". I understand these are standards/technologies used to watch 3d cinema. Are these the ones used in India ?
Are movies created to be watched using certain technologies ?

Dolby and Real 3D have become standards only now (that too in US), they are not too old.... somewhere around 2002/03 were they introduced. India still uses the older film based stereoscopic 3D projection, even with IMAX (though IMAX recently has moved to Digital 3d) while Dolby and Read3D are Digital projection technologies. AVATAR and few other movies were actually natively shot/recorded in digital 3D and hence would be best viewed under Digital projection technology only....which is what Read3d and Dolby3d are.

That is not all ......RealD cinemas uses circular polarized plastic glasses which are considered to be better, because viewers are able to move their head without the loss of the 3D depth effect

Dolby uses some kind of Passive Filters on their polarized glasses, which according to some brings a better viewing experience.

The thing with AVATAR is..... it was specifically made for 3D viewing with the use of digital 3-D technology natively (as I said earlier), which requires polarized glasses that only Dolby and Read 3d has (as I explained above), Not only that apart from Digital 3d AVATAR also incorporated "Motion Capture" technology in a way that has not been done earlier. I read some where that the Motion Capture JC has used for AVATAR is 6 times more complicated than what has been done before.

There are other technicalities involved as well, which you can easily google for a detailed review.

India my friend is far behind at least north, the only Technology we have is the IMAX that too with film based stereoscopic 3D projection, with the same cheap "red and green" glass concept. Somebody told me Banglore or pune or Hyd I dont remember has XpanD which is closest to RealD. If anyone has the chance to view in XpanD that too with IMAX, that would be the closest we can go AFA India is concerned.

I hope I made some sense here...

Regards
Sammy.

Last edited:
Urvashi in bangalore is with Xpand3D technology, but offcourse the screen may not be as big as Imax, but still gives u a wonderful experience

I always thot that these so called multiplexes PVR/INox/Innovative in banglore where only for shoki!! (show off) people ,providing absolute crappy SQ , @least now rem has made a point here

@Sam

So you mean to say that we need Dolby and Read3D projection systems in the theatres. At least XpanD 3-D !
What do they use in Urvashi - Bangalore ?

Urvashi in bangalore is with Xpand3D technology, but offcourse the screen may not be as big as Imax, but still gives u a wonderful experience

I always thot that these so called multiplexes PVR/INox/Innovative in banglore where only for shoki!! (show off) people ,providing absolute crappy SQ , @least now rem has made a point here

Ok. So, I saw the movie in XpanD 3D :)

PVR in bangalore is quite good with regular movies. Very balanced sound with no ear fatigue. The projection is quite good too.

Ok. So, I saw the movie in XpanD 3D :)

PVR in bangalore is quite good with regular movies. Very balanced sound with no ear fatigue. The projection is quite good too.

in pvr, i found only the Europa good , the rest sounded and looked crap

Dolby and Real 3D India my friend is far behind at least north, the only Technology we have is the IMAX that too with film based stereoscopic 3D projection, with the same cheap "red and green" glass concept. Somebody told me Banglore or pune or Hyd I dont remember has XpanD which is closest to RealD. If anyone has the chance to view in XpanD that too with IMAX, that would be the closest we can go AFA India is concerned.

I hope I made some sense here...

Regards
Sammy.

Hey Sam,

Good output and you made some sense as u said..

Good we are Not missing you:clapping:

Regards

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back