yawn-380x540.jpg

It's just a movie, get over it!

I like this>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>................A big FFFFFUUULLLL stop and will discuss something which will make somebody to catch the upgrade fever.....

are you from the previous generation.....:rolleyes:

Never said that ......."present generation" involves all of us......but one thing is for sure that we dont need Film Directors to make Films as they will be very soon replaced by Computer Graphic Artists and maybe Software Programmers....films will no more be made in Studios but Software Companies.....:lol:

by the way renjith......you've seen the malayalam film 'vietnam colony' i presume? This story is the same in all material aspects.

SPOILER ALERT

Greedy corporate entity sends in one of their own (Mohanlal/jake sully) into a settlement to convince them to move, so that their greedy corporate interests can be pursued. Mohanlal/jake sully falls in love with one of the members of the settlement and turns native, and joins the natives in resisting the greedy corporate when they come with their bulldozers (yes bulldozers are also there). Then the climactic battle ensues (person to person in vietnam colony, and bizarre animals v. machines in avatar) and the natives win and the greedy corporate is defeated.

What lifts Vietnam Colony is the superb writing and acting performances. Avatar has a poor script and terrible terrible acting from the protagonists. The visuals do make up for it somewhat but not for 3 hours!! My advice to those going to watch Avatar. Watch it for about 45-60 minutes......take in the visuals. Then go to sleep for about an hour, and then wake up and watch the final battle, because although it is laughably silly....it's quite spectacular. The stuff in between is boring and eminently guessable unless you're retarded or something. That way you don't strain your eyes with the 3D glasses too much also.

Different people different views..people who liked the movie have the right to say they liked it and those who didnt can say that they didnt like..what is CINEMA by the way ? A medium of entertainment (Now dont say that cinema should educate..cinemas shud be logical etc...) and I think AVATAR managed to entertain atleast 90% of the people who watched it and its a box office hit but on the other hand PAA wasnt a box office success and it was a mediocre movie with some good performances...

by the way renjith......you've seen the malayalam film 'vietnam colony' i presume? This story is the same in all material aspects.

SPOILER ALERT

Greedy corporate entity sends in one of their own (Mohanlal/jake sully) into a settlement to convince them to move, so that their greedy corporate interests can be pursued. Mohanlal/jake sully falls in love with one of the members of the settlement and turns native, and joins the natives in resisting the greedy corporate when they come with their bulldozers (yes bulldozers are also there). Then the climactic battle ensues (person to person in vietnam colony, and bizarre animals v. machines in avatar) and the natives win and the greedy corporate is defeated.

What lifts Vietnam Colony is the superb writing and acting performances. Avatar has a poor script and terrible terrible acting from the protagonists. The visuals do make up for it somewhat but not for 3 hours!! My advice to those going to watch Avatar. Watch it for about 45-60 minutes......take in the visuals. Then go to sleep for about an hour, and then wake up and watch the final battle, because although it is laughably silly....it's quite spectacular. The stuff in between is boring and eminently guessable unless you're retarded or something. That way you don't strain your eyes with the 3D glasses too much also.

While I agree to most part, the final battle is good enought. I felt the movie could have been better if it were <2 hours but that is no reason to deny that it is a masterpiece.

Iam not sure of the malayalam movie, but there was a similar effort in tamil in 'vietnam colony'.. These two movies are incomparable at best..

And regarding paid review, I dont think this movie requires one.

SPOILER ALERT

I have seen Vietnam colony...and there is no doubt about the fact that Mohan Lal and team did a wonderful job in that movie...dont u think that theme is universal ? Land grabbing has been a theme in many a movies and as u said now when I think about both movies plots I shud say that it is similar to Vietnam Colony in a way.But that doesnt mean AVATAR is just a carbon copy of Vietnam Colony...though the basic idea remains the same they way both are taken is entirely different....I hope you have seen DALAPATI...and its a rip off of Mahabharatha does that imply that DALAPATHI is a bad movie (since u know the Mahabharatha story will u sleep thru the whole movie ?)? Its one of Rajni's classics....

For me the 3 hours was enjoyable....

hey renjith, the similarity was just an observation, doesn't detract from the precious little merit that Avatar has. I slept (in glorious IMAX 3D :p ) not because the story was similar to Vietnam Colony but because James cameron thought that he'd bombard everyone with visual effects and not bother with an engaging plot, an original (or at the very least interesting) storyline, non-cringeworthy lines, or competent acting. And again, I agree that opinions are subjective, but like square_wave said in some forum, doesn't there have to be a limit to that somewhere.......is Beethoven's fifth as good or bad as a himesh reshammiya song? Similarly is Avatar anything but the terrible film in shimmering clothes that I thought it was? I know there won't be any definite answers or any agreement on it.....but again I repeat that I am shocked that people are willing to overlook the cliched plot, awful writing, bad acting and boring story, just for the eye candy :) but to each his own

I have seen Vietnam colony...and there is no doubt about the fact that Mohan Lal and team did a wonderful job in that movie...dont u think that theme is universal ? Land grabbing has been a theme in many a movies and as u said now when I think about both movies plots I shud say that it is similar to Vietnam Colony in a way.But that doesnt mean AVATAR is just a carbon copy of Vietnam Colony...though the basic idea remains the same they way both are taken is entirely different....I hope you have seen DALAPATI...and its a rip off of Mahabharatha does that imply that DALAPATHI is a bad movie (since u know the Mahabharatha story will u sleep thru the whole movie ?)? Its one of Rajni's classics....

For me the 3 hours was enjoyable....

Well, in terms of content copying you cannot precisely blame anybody. For instance, everybody knows that the story/character development for Avatar goes back to the age of Titanic, but still even before Avatar could release, a similar animated movie called DELGO, a french movies was released. It was a flop movie, but visually matches Avatar.

http://img.denihilation.com/delgovatar.html

So now, what do you guys say, Avatar copied Delgo or Delgo copied Avatar.

But at the end of the day, James Cameron has changed the course of film-making in terms of technology. Other film makers like Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson and George Lucas have already started to look in the same direction.
From story POV, had this movie been released after Titanic, it could have been acceptable at those times, but the the Visual's would have sucked. And that's the reason Cameron delayed his release of Avatar, i.e he gave more importance to Technology/Visuals than Story.

cheers.

My point is, Avatar and vietnam colony does not have even the content in common..

It is like saying most movies have "love story" in common.

Delgo looks like a rip off.

whatever the discussion , movies story being good /bad ,but there is something that makes avataar to be watched over and over????? have already seen it thrice:lol: that too in a span of 10 days and each time it was a good experience :licklips:

Regarding Avatar's story's originality- there is one thread already running

http://www.hifivision.com/general-chit-chat/7483-avatar-last-samurai.html

It is my take in same thread

"
1) Ramayan influence is suspected by me .....hero is like Bibhishan who chnages his sides and fight against his people.....

2) Anyone have seen Kurt Russel's Flop "soldier"??Storyline again similar -genetically enhanced soldier going against his own team and fighting for poor and powerless people.

3) While talking with my bro he told me that framwork is similar to classic play Becket .
From Wikipedia 'The play is a re-enactment of the conflicts between King Henry II and Thomas Becket as the latter (Henry's best friend) ascends to power, becoming the Kings enemy. Becket begins as a clever, but hedonistic, companion; as a result of being created Archbishop of Canterbury, he is transformed into an ascetic who does his best to preserve the rights of the church against the king's power.

Ultimately, Becket is slaughtered by several of the king's nobles, and the king is then forced to undergo penance for the murder."

Any experts comments from english Drama/Literature expert?

4) Again Namak Haram ( Bachhan,Rajesh Khanna ) taken from Becket . In that movie Rajesh Kahanna is Bachhan's best buddy. Bachhan send him as a mole in poor worker's basti to influence their minds towards mill owners. Bachhan is mill owner's son.Looking at worker's condition Khanna starts fighting for workers......

Is the story look familiar???????
-------------

Now "Vietnam Colony" is new to me ...but again If you takr the framework you will find a lot of similar stories!!!:eek:hyeah:

again let me clarify......i am not saying there was any copying.......this is hardly an original story or concept......which is what is my problem with Avatar, the cliched story, and it doesn't even have good writing, or good acting to save it.

But yes, anyone here who can understand malayalam and hasn't seen Vietnam Colony, I would heartily recommend it.

Well, in terms of content copying you cannot precisely blame anybody. For instance, everybody knows that the story/character development for Avatar goes back to the age of Titanic, but still even before Avatar could release, a similar animated movie called DELGO, a french movies was released. It was a flop movie, but visually matches Avatar.

http://img.denihilation.com/delgovatar.html

So now, what do you guys say, Avatar copied Delgo or Delgo copied Avatar.

But at the end of the day, James Cameron has changed the course of film-making in terms of technology. Other film makers like Steven Spielberg, Peter Jackson and George Lucas have already started to look in the same direction.
From story POV, had this movie been released after Titanic, it could have been acceptable at those times, but the the Visual's would have sucked. And that's the reason Cameron delayed his release of Avatar, i.e he gave more importance to Technology/Visuals than Story.

cheers.

again let me clarify......i am not saying there was any copying.......this is hardly an original story or concept......which is what is my problem with Avatar, the cliched story, and it doesn't even have good writing, or good acting to save it.

But yes, anyone here who can understand malayalam and hasn't seen Vietnam Colony, I would heartily recommend it.

Yeah, I've seen Vietnam Colony, indeed it's a good one. But what i'm trying to say is, Avatar is not a movie to be looked up for story/performance as you have mentioned. It's purely for taking film making technology One Step ahead. Cameron spent more than 10yrs on this movie not to improvise on story (and for performance, cannot blame Cameron). His only aim was to improve on Technology for Avatar and all other future movies.

And most of us in the forum have agreed on the lack of story/performance part of the movie. It's only the visuals that everybody is praising of, and for me it's visuals+technology.

cheers.

Hi Friends,

Watched Avatar in 3D, Urvashi Theatre, Blr today. The movie is very good.
Though others said the movie is not emotional like Titanic, we get get our self lost in to Pandora and feel that people of Pandora should win. Once this connection is established then the movie is going to be a sure hit :).

And regarding the theatre the SQ is good and the bass is amazing. The background score in the movie is amazing and couldn't wait to see it in my own home theatre setup.

PQ is OK. As others rightly pointed out the brightness and contrast is less when watched through glasses. I removed the glassed and checked that the theater has kept extra brightness and contrast to counter this [very bright to watch through naked eye]. But that doesn't help much. There are few scenes when you feel the real 3D. But my expectation was more and i was bit disappointed.

I was accompanied by my wife and she really liked it. One comment from her though is that it would be great to watch this is in a perfect 2D rather than this imperfect 3D ;)

Also Urvashi had advertised that they would charge Rs50 for rental of 3D glasses in Times of India. However they charged 100 RS by offering a combo offer of 3D glass+Popcorn+pepsi. Nice money making by forcing the consumers which i did not like.

3 cheers to James Cameroon and his team for their wonderful effort.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

Watched Avatar in 3D, Urvashi Theatre, Blr today. The movie is very good.
Though others said the movie is not emotional like Titanic, we get get our self lost in to Pandora and feel that people of Pandora should win. Once this connection is established then the movie is going to be a sure hit :).

And regarding the theatre the SQ is good and the bass is amazing. The background score in the movie is amazing and couldn't wait to see it in my own home theatre setup.

PQ is OK. As others rightly pointed out the brightness and contrast is less when watched through glasses. I removed the glassed and checked that the theater has kept extra brightness and contrast to counter this [very bright to watch through naked eye]. But that doesn't help much. There are few scenes when you feel the real 3D. But my expectation was more and i was bit disappointed.

I was accompanied by my wife and she really liked it. One comment from her though is that it would be great to watch this is in a perfect 2D rather than this imperfect 3D ;)

Also Urvashi had advertised that they would charge Rs50 for rental of 3D glasses in Times of India. However they charged 100 RS by offering a combo offer of 3D glass+Popcorn+pepsi. Nice money making by forcing the consumers which i did not like.

3 cheers to James Cameroon and his team for their wonderful effort.

Thanks,
Prakash.
Hi thanks for the review will they refund 50rs of 3d glass after the movie and if we book tickets in advance we have to pay extra 100 in the booking time or at the time os show

Hi thanks for the review will they refund 50rs of 3d glass after the movie and if we book tickets in advance we have to pay extra 100 in the booking time or at the time os show

No refund. You need to pay Rs 100 extra[for glass+coke+popcorn] while booking the tickets itself.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Well, it seems the Vatican is also following the steps of Shiv Sena and IML in terms of passing comments on anything and everything. Next they may even start passing the equivalent of Fatwahs on poor James Cameron.

I don't understand what a movie about a planet light years away from earth has anything to do with religion and human emotions. Ridiculous.

Cheers

This is just sensationalist reporting. That report cites from a film review in the newspaper in the Vatican (run by the church, which runs everything else in the Vatican). The review is nothing but a normal film review and not the church's official position on the film. If you read the comments, I would say they are bang on. More power to the reviewer, and shame on the media!

"Vatican's official newspaper which said Sunday the 3-D sci fi blockbuster had, "Numerous captivating special effects but little true emotion, that is human emotion ... visually there is impact but the plot is stale.""

Well, it seems the Vatican is also following the steps of Shiv Sena and IML in terms of passing comments on anything and everything. Next they may even start passing the equivalent of Fatwahs on poor James Cameron.

I don't understand what a movie about a planet light years away from earth has anything to do with religion and human emotions. Ridiculous.

Cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back