Hey guys!

I'm going for Avatar in 3d in Urvashi Cinemas on Saturday for the 10:30 AM show...

I'm not going for a balcony seat, and there's lots of seats available.

I was hoping that someone who has seen the movie in Urvashi, could tell me which row is the best row to watch the movie in. (Row R is closest to the Screen, and Row A is furthest)

Also, which section of the theatre is the best section? The left section, right or center?

Again, I'm watching the movie at Urvashi Cinemas!

Thanks a LOT guys! :)

There's an item in today's Mail Today about how many viewers of Avatar are in a state of depression after seeing the film because, compared to Pandora, the real world seems so grey , colorless & unattractive.
Some people, it is reported, are even contemplating suicide ,hoping to be reborn in Pandora.
Talk about extreme reactions!

Hey guys!

I'm going for Avatar in 3d in Urvashi Cinemas on Saturday for the 10:30 AM show...

I'm not going for a balcony seat, and there's lots of seats available.

I was hoping that someone who has seen the movie in Urvashi, could tell me which row is the best row to watch the movie in. (Row R is closest to the Screen, and Row A is furthest)

Also, which section of the theatre is the best section? The left section, right or center?

Again, I'm watching the movie at Urvashi Cinemas!

Thanks a LOT guys! :)
take the H or I row downstairs and take the centre seats for best viewing

I was fortunate enough to see Avatar today in one of 22 screens of a movie complex called 'Reels'. This is in Dubai Mall, a complex that also houses the Dubai Khalifa - the world's tallest building.

The hall had about 15 rows and I took seats that were dead centre in row C. The hall had perfect projection as well as really good sound system. Fortunately for me, they did not keep the volume too high and I was able to hear the dialogues very clearly even though they were no more than whispers. At the same time, when the big Tree falls, the thump was strong enough to shake the whole hall. The images were perfect with no noise.

Needless to say, I was thoroughly impressed by the movie. My wife Charu, who usually does not like SciFi or war movies had just one word when she came out - Wow!

Cheers

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to see Avatar today in one of 22 screens of a movie complex called 'Reels'. This is in Dubai Mall, a complex that also houses the Dubai Khalifa - the world's tallest building.

The hall had about 15 rows and I took seats that were dead centre in row C. The hall had perfect projection as well as really good sound system. Fortunately for me, they did not keep the volume too high and I was able to hear the dialogues very clearly even though they were no more than whispers. At the same time, when the beg Tree falls, the thump was string enough to shake the whole hall. The images were perfect with no noise.

Needless to say, I was thoroughly impressed by the movie. My wife Charu, who usually does not like SciFi or war movies had just one word when she came out - Wow!

Cheers

This Dubai Mall is in Chennai, or are you actually in DUBAI itself.

cheers

JUST needed to post my opinons about 3D. I went out of my way to register to this site which i don't do soo generous of me :eek:hyeah:

watched this 2 time once in Urvashi (xpand 3d) once in Fame shankarnag (masterimage 3d).

the fame has crappy dirty screen also the brightness is really low but still felt 3d to be more in your face.also the goggle seemed dirt cheap.

the URvashi has better brightness and colour but sound seemed bit crappy.the goggles are best but a bit heavier over all better3d experience .

Also am i the inly one who felt bit nauseated during the thantor beast chase through the jungle ? i belive the curent gen 3d may not be good for fast moving scenes (only my gut feeling)

please help me collect data about 3d scene in bangalore:

Uravashi : xpand 3d (XpanD - XPAND's First and Largest 3D Cinema Deployment Agreement in India)

Fame: masterimage (Polarized 3D Glasses MASTERIMAGE 3D)

PVR : ?

INOX: ?

FUN CINEMA (Cunningham road) : watched it here for 3rd time :) . Excellent sound best 3d i ever saw i sat at the center of the theater not too far back . May be because of the seating the 3d seemed good. But i aslo saw that some of the faster scences line the thantor chase came out very well in FUN cinemas without any motion blur or anything. also no washed out picture like FAME . GO here for the best experience.

I believe they are also using the masterimage system (i cannot confirm as they seemed to have removed the brand labelling on the specs) but everything (picture ,3D, Sound) came out beautifully here.

Digital Cinema -- useful link

ADDING INFO SO GOOGLE PICKS THIS UP : INDIA,BANGALORE AVATAR 3D
BANGALORE 3D

I too, like tanujay, happened to find this site and forum thread when trying to find out about the 3D projection systems being used in Cinema screens in Chennai. I have already seen Avatar in a regular Imax 3D at San Francisco and it truly is an awesome experience.

I ll briefly describe what I know about 3D Cinema in general. 3D cinema typically involves two steps - the content needs to be produces in a 3d-capable format and also needs to be presented in a 3d-capable medium. Avatar, for one, has used groundbreaking new technologies which includes a newly developed camera system by James Cameron (called Fusion Camera - Digital cinematography cameras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that is supposed to have resulted in a superior 3d-capable content.

3D-ready content is just one piece of the puzzle and you need a good 3D projection system to deliver a good experience to the end users. That is where a number of existing 3D projection technologies come into the picture. The ones I know of are

Imax 3D IMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RealD 3D RealD Cinema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
XpanD XpanD - Home
Dolby 3D Dolby 3D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Master Image 3D Digital 3D Cinema system MASTERIMAGE 3D

Note that these are all mostly projection technologies that enable to deliver 3D content and with the general transition to digital cinema projection, these technologies typically work as an add-on/enhancement to digital projection that makes it 3D capable.

According to wikipedia, RealD is currently the dominant 3D projection technology in USA while Master Image is popular in Asia and Europe. Also, RealD has an exclusive agreement with Sony right now which means that RealD screens will have solution consisting of a Sony 4K digital projector combined with the RealD system as a 3D solution package.

In Chennai, Sathyam cinemas [http://www.sathyamcinemas.com/3drdx.asp] have been using 2K digital projectors for a while now and have chosen MasterImage 3D to deliver the 3D experience on its screens. I read in the MasterImage site that their 3D projection system can be moved and it is entirely likely that Sathyam moves its 3D projection systems around in its different screens based on the specific movie, demand and the screen capacity.

I have not been able to find out reliably the type of digital projection system in use at Inox theatres, in Chennai and at other locations Based on this link [http://www.xpandcinema.com/news/24/], I would guess that Inox screens are likely using the Xpand 3D system.

I do not know of screens other than Sathyam and Inox that have 3D capability right now in Chennai.

Its finally done it seems. The movie has just overtaken Titanic to become the biggest grosser of all time.

Yet experts believe that "Gone with the wind " which made 400 million dollars (equal to approx. 6 billion dollars today) is the highest grosser in terms of real value

just saw this a few days ago. Not impressed. I think I went with high expectations which werent met. I just dont get whats the big deal. 3d movies have been around for 50 years. there have been movies with better visual effects, off the top of my head comes star wars, lotr, 2001 etc. there is no story. so it does not beat the competitors in even a single aspect.

9 oscar nominations WOW!!!

most exciting part is its closest competitor also with 9 oscar nominations is another gem of a movie The Hurt Locker

lets wait and watch who wins ,interesting stuff!!! i think its going to be a close call as both these movies were very exciting

Last edited:
I found the movie to be overhyped. No doubt the 3D effects were superb and the planet Pandora mind blowing. But ultimately the story was just so-so. I felt like I was in a video game rather than a movie.

Okay, I've not read the rest of this thread but is did any else who not like it?

I came back, cold. I could not connect with any of Cameron's stick figure characters.

The first half plodded along, then there was the cringeworthy romance finally capped by the bland nonstop battle sequences which ended two of the worst hours I've spent watching a movie.

Visual effects??? What Visual effects - The Golden Compass had better VFX than this one!
:rolleyes:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back