Gfreeman

This is common word on the internet these days and with 4 more days to go it might be the only word .
Made with a guesstimated budget of 200-230 million(some claims put it at 500 million) by Fox studio the James Cameron directed movie has quietly transformed the 3D movie business in India. An estimated 70 theatres are moving to 3d by December 18 up from 40 a couple of months ago. Many others would be releasing the movie in the usual 2D format
Some may not like the cliches and some the video game effect on scenes but it is definitely something you can't ignore.
I just thought we could use this thread to discuss all the hype, facts ,trivia and personal reviews related to the movie and favourite characters without obviously revealing too much of the movie as there might be a lot of us interested. For one i might already know the story and the possible ending.

Here are a few links to the movie. They might tell u who my favourite character in the movie is for obvious reasons i guess.:eek:hyeah:

YouTube - Avatar: The Movie (New Extended HD Trailer)
YouTube - Avatar - Film Clip #1
YouTube - Avatar - Film Clip #2
YouTube - Avatar - Film Clip #3
YouTube - Avatar - Film Clip #4
YouTube - Avatar - Film Clip #5
YouTube - Avatar - Film Clip #6
YouTube - AVATAR - Neytiri
YouTube - AVATAR - Neytiri Featurette (English)

Last edited:
This is a typical hollywood film... all effects and no substance. Spectacular effects at that- Cameron is a master showman. But from the trailers I've seen, it's the same American colonial mentality...technologically superior race exploiting tribal race, some sentimental yegg in tech race wakes up and realises slavery is wrong, joins 'weaker' side, helps win war and gain love on the side. We've seen this in the Star Wars epics, The Last Samurai,...many such films with paper thin storylines.
Americans always grapple with their conscience, while still using war to exploit other nations (Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan...and now Pakistan).

-Jinx.

Look at the following articles to understand some of the technical innovations undertaken by Cameron for Avatar. Irrespective of what we feel about the story, Avatar is a major step forward in movie making, cinematography, and technology related to film making. This is the third or fourth time that Cameron has turned Hollywood upside down.

James Camerons Avatar 3D and CG Movie Technology With Avatar - Popular Mechanics

James Cameron Movie History - James Cameron Top VFX Scenes - Popular Mechanics

Avatar Volume Performance Capture Stage - Anatomy of a Live Action Scene in Avatar - Popular Mechanics

Cheers

Thank you for those links Venkat Sir.
I knew the movie was pretty much cliched as i already knew the entire story line but i guess i would be watching it more to experience the far more different and immersive 3D experience that the film promises. Another reason for me would be the wonderful recreation of Zoe Saldana's character Neytiri . Zoe was chosen because of her experience in ballet dancing which still required considerable bit of training
By the way I believe each of those frames captured by this new form of high performance capture required about 50 hours each.

Last edited:
The movie is hyped and I dont know about others but I am liking this hype!! :lol:

I plan to watch in 1st day last show. Maybe the story wont be good but I am expecting some serious special effect and scenic beauty of the planet Pandora. I hope the movie doesnt dissapoint!!

Also I read somewhere that this new technology doesnt require special glasses to watch?? Is it true?? :rolleyes:

Where in NCR do you suggest that we watch this movie ?

I see a theatre or 2 listed showing Avatar in 3D in NCR. Maybe you could try bookmyshow.com. I am however not sure however which ones are good.

Sud98: I believe the special 3D previews are happening in quite a few places on Thursday. Not sure why the thursday preview shows Urvashi screening 2D
Inox,Fame Lido and Fun Cinemas. Not sure how many theatres would officially release the movie in 3D. You could check out today's Bangalore Times ad

Made a mistake by giving in to hype and went for 2012, and was one of the biggest mistake of my life probably. I hope this one doesn't turn out to be another such disaster. I actually want to watch it for the 3D experience and I hope that it'll be good.

And BTW, if it's going to be as good as Star Wars or Last Samurai (I found them to be really good and entertaining, call me shallow in taste or whatever ;-) ) I won't mind spending 200 bucks. But yes, the story seems to be predictable for sure.

Made with a guesstimated budget of 200-230 million(some claims put it at 500 million) by Fox studio the James Cameron directed movie has quietly transformed the 3D movie business in India. An estimated 70 theatres are moving to 3d by December 18 up from 40 a couple of months ago. Many others would be releasing the movie in the usual 2D format

That's pure Business. These studios people are smart people. Since when did Holywood cared to release movies in Bhojpuri ? They simulteneously release worldwide and recover good amount of money at one go before people discuss about movie. Creating hype about movie (positive or negative) also helps.
BTW nothing against die hard movie fans & James Cameron, liked only one movie by James Cameron - Aliens

Well,
Aliens
Terminator 2
Titanic

Why is Cameron so revvered ? Simple, if u have not seen any of these movies, it can be termed as just a run of the mill action flick. However, if u have seen these movies, u know its an emotional roller coster. His skills lie at making people feel for the characters in the movie.
Be it, Nute in Aliens, or the bond between John O'Connor and Terminator in T2 or jack and Rose.
He is a master story teller, apart from a visual feat and (maybe) cliched story line, there is an undeniable soul in his movies. And like all the other movies by Cameron, trailers will never do justice to the movies.

Last edited:
well, 2012 is good to watch. Certainly not a disaster.
Well, obviously everyone have different tastes and opinions, for me it was an attack on human intelligence. Except the special effects there was nothing much in that movie. :lol: But yeah, it's running full house, so obviously it was just not my type of movie. Atleast not a movie to spend damn 260 bucks per head for 4 ppl, and we all had same opinion. In fact one of my friend slept halfway through the movie. Obviously another big issue was PVR's crappy audio system(it was getting switched off intermittently, now beat that) and if I really don't want to open my mount about their video projection.
But anyway, sorry to have gone OT as this thread is about Avatar and I just hope that it'll turn out to be good.

Sud98: I believe the special 3D previews are happening in quite a few places on Thursday. Not sure why the thursday preview shows Urvashi screening 2D
Inox,Fame Lido and Fun Cinemas. Not sure how many theatres would officially release the movie in 3D. You could check out today's Bangalore Times ad

Avatar is in 3d in Fame Lido and Symphony, although I suspect its old generation 3d and not stereoscopic. Not sure of the Urvashi ad showing in Times of India or Bangalore Times as 2D, couldnt locate it in the newspaper.

I saw in TOI, bangalore that Avatar will be released in 2d format in urvashi theatre with did 2k projector. No mention of 3D.

Inox releases in 3D.

Thanks,
Prakash.

I just booked my tickets in Urvashi cinema for Avatar in 3D for thursday night show, they have charged extra non-refundable Rs.100 for the 3D glass (but with free popcorn & coke), the final ticket price is Rs.250

Well, obviously everyone have different tastes and opinions, for me it was an attack on human intelligence. Except the special effects there was nothing much in that movie. :lol: But yeah, it's running full house, so obviously it was just not my type of movie. Atleast not a movie to spend damn 260 bucks per head for 4 ppl, and we all had same opinion. In fact one of my friend slept halfway through the movie. Obviously another big issue was PVR's crappy audio system(it was getting switched off intermittently, now beat that) and if I really don't want to open my mount about their video projection.
But anyway, sorry to have gone OT as this thread is about Avatar and I just hope that it'll turn out to be good.

well, PVR always sucks when comes for sound system. Innox and Fame are better. Innovative is at par, at least in Bangalore. I saw promo of Avatar in Innovative while watching 2012. It was easy to compare and judge that sround sound / bass all are better in Avatar compared to 2012.

I am planning to watch Avatar in Fame/Innovative only, though it may be 2D.

I just booked my tickets in Urvashi cinema for Avatar in 3D for thursday night show, they have charged extra non-refundable Rs.100 for the 3D glass (but with free popcorn & coke), the final ticket price is Rs.250

skdMrk: Any ideas about Avatar in 3D at Inox for thursday. As of now only Urvashi seems to be showcasing the movie in 3D on 17th and thereafter. I will check with Inox and Fame later today

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back