AVR Configuration

hari

Dear All,

Thanks to posts/suggestions of Venkat, Moserw, Madbullram and many more on this wonderful forum I am a proud owner of the following system,

Panasonic PV8 Plasma
Pioneer DV 610 DVD Player
AVR - Yamaha 363
Front Speakers - Wharfedale Diamond 9.5
Center Speaker - Wharfedale Diamond 9 CS
Rear Speakers - Old Kenwood BookShelves from my midi system

While the sound stage and low frequencies are excellent on this system. I do find it is some what lacking in producing detailed sound and also slightly low on high and mid frequencies. I came to this conclusion after comparing the
sound detail I heard for the same DVD on my computer with Audigy 2ZS Card and Creative 5.1 speakers. I compared both movies and music and my conclusion is same for both. I used Preadtor DVD and Yanni CD for the comparison.

I havent procured a subwoofer yet and planning to buy Wharfedale SW 150.
I have set 9.5s as LARGE and the rest as SMALL and I have tried setting all crossover frequencies from 40 to 200 Hz. I have 14 AWG DAC cables for all speakers.

I am not sure what is lacking, whether there is a problem in the configuration of the AVR, or not having a subwoofer or whether Yamaha 363 is not good enough or I am expecting too much :) Please do provide your valuable suggestions.

First of all congrats.

The weakest link is your AVR. The Yammy 363 is entry level and one cannot expect too much detail from it. If you can borrow a higher end AVR from a friend and use it on your setup to see if there is a change, it should clarity things. At least it will help to find what's lacking in your system.

(1) I would suggest you use the system extensively and wait for a month or so for the speakers to burn in. The music / sound will become smoother and will be rendered with more clarity after that.

(2) What speaker cables and ICs are you using?

(3) In the 610, you can set the audio out to Raw. If your connection to the AVR is digital, please ensure this is done.

(4) Alternatively see if the DVD Player does the decoding and the AVR can just amplifie.

Cheers

hi hari
try this,
1)try changing tone of ur speaker from tone button on ur avr,increase treble as per ur need,this will add slightly more detail in sound and will make it more sharp.
2)put crossover at 90hz and yes if possible please do add sub.as it will make a difference
3)speaker wires are not a problem in ur case but yes,please buy a decent digital co-axial cable as it will add more detail in sound.
4)try using 2.1 music enhancer mode(if ur playing mp3) on ur avr since u have very good pair of front speakers.
well if i m satisfied with satellite speakers came with my yht-195 then u should be able to get good sound from ur speakers since thy are great speakers.
try exploring ur avr by yourself and dont lose DIY.

I second moser's suggestion. 363 is not adequate for your speaker set-up.

The AVR need not be the weakest link in the chain. What DSP setting have you set the AVR to? Also, what are you sources when you feel that the mids and highs are not coming through properly.

Have you tried playing a classic rock or a female vocalist or a violin rendition via the DVDP?

363 is the weakest link.

Try the decoding at source stage and make sure you use avr as just amplifier.

disable the dsp options and use the straight or direct functionality of the AVR and use original cd/dvd's.

Using tone control adjust the bass and frequency.

If you can individually set the speaker volumes set the fronts to +5, centre to +3, rears to +3 ans see if it is fine.

@hari - The TV, the DVDP, the speakers, etc. all are good products. I've not heard the Yamaha 363 extensively, but I've heard the 463 and it was ok, not too impressive. The Yammy 663 though was very impressive for me personally especially even for playing music.

Now I'm not suggesting you go out and purchase a new AVR. Just stating what looks to be the weakest link to me personally. The first thing to do is to find out if that's really true so beg, borrow, or steal a more powerful AVR to check the rest of your setup.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I did realize that 363 might be the weakest link but I wanted to be sure that I was doing ok with the settings before opting for a new AVR. Unfortunately I bought the 363 before I knew about this great forum.

I will try using the AVR just as AMP connecting the Pio-610 using multi ch input. Any specific brand of cables I need for this ?

I am using Designer Audio Optical cable from Pio-610 to 363 for audio. Bandridge HDMI directly to PV8 from Pio-610. All speaker cables are DAC 14 AWG. Do let me know if I need any tweaking on the ICs.

I am using Designer Audio Optical cable from Pio-610 to 363 for audio. Bandridge HDMI directly to PV8 from Pio-610. All speaker cables are DAC 14 AWG. Do let me know if I need any tweaking on the ICs.

All these are good cables are of very good quality. You don't have to do anything.

So now make sure the Pioneer 610 is sending audio signals is raw form to the AVR. Also play around with the sub's crossover settings as well as it's amplitude control.

I would not write off the 363 that easily. Yesterday I installed a Yamaha HTIB 195 and it sounded quite good after a bit of tweaking. So use the system for a while, tweak the speaker level settings, the sub settings, and bring the system to a level you like.

Do not be afraid of playing with the settings. You can always reset the AVR to factory settings.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks Venkat, I will surely try that out. It is heartning to know that yht 195 performed well with tweaking. I want to stick on with 363 and only if absolutely necessary I would opt for a new AVR.

I do not have a Sub as of now. Planning to buy sw-150. Have been quoted 19.3 K might get it at 19K. Havent bargained yet. I will tweak the 363 after procuring the sub and then decide.

i will second venkat's comment
i have yht-195 and it produce decent music even with it's stock satellite.
and my amp. and ur amp. r same,only name differs.
so wait for a month let the speakers burn in.
set speakers distance correctly from ur listening position as it makes difference in SQ.
also see to it that u dont have wall reflections in ur room as many a time wall reflections creates noise and makes music sounds like detail less.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back