AVR + DVD Player

sanjub22

Hello Frinds ,

Back again with another specific request. Here is my requirement

Existing :- Panasonic PV8 , PS3

Finalized :- Wharfedale 9.2 front/Rear , 9.CC Front, SW150 Sub

Room size:- 270 sq ft

Suggestion Required for

1. DVD Player :- 100% for movies, picuture quality is the main requirement, should have upscale feature.USB is not a necessity, as I already have PS3 which can handle that. Budget is 10 to 12k. Maximum 15k if a good quality demands in that way.

2.AVR :- Will be used to watch movies only not music and normal cable/stb program .Looking for sound decoding only as I dont need upscaling through AVR. I can directly connect my dvdp and ps3 by HDMI cable to TV directly. This is my idea as a novice but you can always deviate if you think it would fetch a better result if I connect dvdp/ps3 through an upscalable AVR even if they individually can upscale.
Budget is 30k but can extend 10k more if I practically need an AVR which can upscale. Please suggest me something on Onkyo as the service is best in Calcutta among other AVRs.But again I am flexible on this aspect too.

3. Stereo :- Suggest me a 2.1 stereo system for my bed room. Budget is 30k Max.

4. This is a bit offshoot question but I am really looking for a suggestion here. Can you guys please suggest me a dvd rip software without any loss of sound and picture quality. I am ready to pay for it. I already have tried the paid service of DVDFab and Xillisoft but for both of this cases when I am ripping the DVD into divx or AVI , both the PQ and SQ is deteriorating by almost 30% to 40%. So please suggest something which you use personally and yields a good result. I wont mind paying for the service.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Frinds ,

Back again with another specific request. Here is my requirement

Existing :- Panasonic PV8 , PS3

Finalized :- Wharfedale 9.2 front/Rear , 9.CC Front, SW150 Sub

Room size:- 270 sq ft

Suggestion Required for

1. DVD Player :- 100% for movies, picuture quality is the main requirement, should have upscale feature.USB is not a necessity, as I already have PS3 which can handle that. Budget is 10 to 12k. Maximum 15k if a good quality demands in that way.

2.AVR :- Will be used to watch movies only not music and normal cable/stb program .Looking for sound decoding only as I dont need upscaling through AVR. I can directly connect my dvdp and ps3 by HDMI cable to TV directly. This is my idea as a novice but you can always deviate if you think it would fetch a better result if I connect dvdp/ps3 through an upscalable AVR even if they individually can upscale.
Budget is 30k but can extend 10k more if I practically need an AVR which can upscale. Please suggest me something on Onkyo as the service is best in Calcutta among other AVRs.But again I am flexible on this aspect too.

3. Stereo :- Suggest me a 2.1 stereo system fo2 my bed room. Budget is 30k Max.

4. This is a bit offshoot question but I am really looking for a suggestion here. Can you guys please suggest me a dvd rip software without any loss of sound and picture quality. I am ready to pay for it. I already have tried the paid service of DVDFab and Xillisoft but for both of this cases when I am ripping the DVD into divx or AVI , both the PQ and SQ is deteriorating by almost 30% to 40%. So please suggest something which you use personally and yields a good result. I wont mind paying for the service.

Thanks in advance.

Congrats, as u have decided speaker part of ur HT setup. Wharfe is among audiphile favourites. One thing u can do though, take 9DFS as suround which will save u some money which u can use to upgrade ur front 9.2 to Floor standers.

1. DVDP - Oppo is rated highest here followed by CA DV99 & Pio 610.

2. AVR - U can get Yam663 @32K from 20North. Locally it is available around 37K. For ur budget Yam663/Onkyo606 r best bets.

3. For stereo setup, there r couple of thread going at present, go through them. Options being discussed are
i. Norge + Mission m34i
ii. Norge + 9.2 among others.
Audition options available and go for what is upto ur taste.

Some doubt came in to my mind. Does the PS3's have upscaling feature (1080p)? If yes then why there is need for DVD player as we call play all disc throuth PS3 (correc me if I am wrong)? And how does double upscaling (DVD, AVR) help?

The best known to me is the open source AutoGK. I rate it one of the best available software for DVD ripping to AVI. It internally uses VirtualDub (although the modded version known as VirtualDubMod) for conversion to AVI.

Cheers,
Ashish

Some doubt came in to my mind. Does the PS3's have upscaling feature (1080p)? If yes then why there is need for DVD player as we call play all disc throuth PS3 (correc me if I am wrong)? And how does double upscaling (DVD, AVR) help?

PS3 is not region free. So not all the DVDs can be play in PS3. Moreover my other family members are not feeling very comfortable in manipulating PS3.So thats why looking for a separete DVD Player. I am using PS3 mainly for Blue Rays and DVD rips.

Some more suggestion friends???? I know this is somehow redundant but at the same time specific also. Please see if you can manage some time to reply. I am planning to go in the coming weekend.

Sanjub, you already have good answers. In any case let me reiterate.

Get a Oppo 981 within 15 odd K if you can. That is an excellent player for both movies and music. It also upscales to 1080P.

Next choice is the Pioneer 610. You should be able to get this at around 8K.

The best option is the Yamaha 663. The 663 has some 90 watts per channel, can decode HD Audio, and sounds very good for both movies and music. Depending upon the market. I would suggest you spend the 45,000 needed and get this AVR. Anything else will not support HD Audio, and that will screw your PS3 plans.

3. Stereo:- Suggest me a 2.1 stereo system for my bed room. Budget is 30k Max.

For your bedroom, get a decent two channel amp and a CD Player. One option is the CA 340C and 340A. Another option is the Arcam Solomini if you have a lot of music on an iPOD. For speakers, get a pair of bookshelves for under 10,000.

If you are very sure you need a 2.1 system, look at the Yamaha 497 receiver. It delivers decent sound and supports a sub woofer. Similar models are available from Onkyo and Denon, though I am not usre of the model numbers.

Cheers

Sanjub, you already have good answers. In any case let me reiterate.

Get a Oppo 981 within 15 odd K if you can. That is an excellent player for both movies and music. It also upscales to 1080P.

Next choice is the Pioneer 610. You should be able to get this at around 8K.

The best option is the Yamaha 663. The 663 has some 90 watts per channel, can decode HD Audio, and sounds very good for both movies and music. Depending upon the market. I would suggest you spend the 45,000 needed and get this AVR. Anything else will not support HD Audio, and that will screw your PS3 plans.

For your bedroom, get a decent two channel amp and a CD Player. One option is the CA 340C and 340A. Another option is the Arcam Solomini if you have a lot of music on an iPOD. For speakers, get a pair of bookshelves for under 10,000.

If you are very sure you need a 2.1 system, look at the Yamaha 497 receiver. It delivers decent sound and supports a sub woofer. Similar models are available from Onkyo and Denon, though I am not usre of the model numbers.

Cheers

Thank you Venkat sir , will definitely look for 663. Though I was inclined towards Onkyo as that is easily available and have a better sevice at Kolkata.
By the way , should I look for Yam 665 , its a bit cheaper.

I am fine with Oppe, but will that be available in India. From where can I buy Oppo.

Thank you Venkat sir , will definitely look for 663. Though I was inclined towards Onkyo as that is easily available and have a better sevice at Kolkata. By the way , should I look for Yam 665 , its a bit cheaper.

I am fine with Oppe, but will that be available in India. From where can I buy Oppo.

If you want the same capabilities as the 663 amongst the new models, I am afraid you have to look at the 765. The 665 lacks component video upconversion, and you have to spend more for iPod and Bluetooth connection. In addition, the YPAO is very limited.

The 665 is actually lower than the 663 in terms of specifications. And I have not read any good reviews for the 665. I have aa feeling Yamaha will revamp the 665 shortly or they will lose a large part of the market.

The only other product which seems good is the Denon 1910.

You can pick up the Yamaha from Sound of Music in Delhi. Speak to Mr. Sandeep Sehgal and he will help you.

Cheers

Thank you Venkat sir , will definitely look for 663. Though I was inclined towards Onkyo as that is easily available and have a better sevice at Kolkata.
By the way , should I look for Yam 665 , its a bit cheaper.

Hi,

You can get oppo 981 at OPPO DVD Player - OppoShop.com. Its available for 219 Euros so around 12000Rs. For shipping to India, you will need
"All customers outside Europe:
Please contact our sales team sales(at)OppoShop.com before ordering, so that you will receive the necessary order instructions."

Best of Luck.

Regards,
Sudhir

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back