AVR for Mission QX2

Based on some of the reviews here, I'm sold on the Mission QX2 bookshelf speakers. However, I'm not sure which receiver to get as I'm still figuring out power ratings and the compatibility-related stuff for speakers.

I want the cheapest possible AVR (5.1 output) to drive these speakers well, any suggestions?

I want an AVR and not an integrated amp because I want to connect this to my TV, however the primary purpose is playing music well, movies are secondary. Even 4K isn't a requirement right now. I would be okay with second-hand equipment too if someone can point out any sources to get them.

Bonus question: A sub (8 inch should be okay for a 10x15 room I guess) suggestion would also be welcome!

Based on some of the reviews here, I'm sold on the Mission QX2 bookshelf speakers. However, I'm not sure which receiver to get as I'm still figuring out power ratings and the compatibility-related stuff for speakers.

I want the cheapest possible AVR (5.1 output) to drive these speakers well, any suggestions?

I want an AVR and not an integrated amp because I want to connect this to my TV, however the primary purpose is playing music well, movies are secondary. Even 4K isn't a requirement right now. I would be okay with second-hand equipment too if someone can point out any sources to get them.

Bonus question: A sub (8 inch should be okay for a 10x15 room I guess) suggestion would also be welcome!
Whats stopping you from connecting an integrated amp to a TV? all an integrated would require is an optical-in which most if not all IAs possess. That being said, since your primary usage is going to be music, get the PM6006. Sasta and Tikau!

Its actually every so slightly better than my Marantz SR6013 for stereo applications and more importantly, it has tone controls which work much better than the DSP tone controls on the SR6013. And oh that loudness button! a sinful obsession from time to time.

Having heard the bass response from the QX2s and knowing how much bass can be eked out from comparable 6.5 inch bookshelves (unless my ears deceived me, i felt the QX2 had a better bottom end excursion and scale than either the KEF Q350 and the Evo 4.2) by adjusting tone controls on a PM6006, you won't get any palpable gains from getting a cheap 8" sub. Having said that, if you're willing to splurge a bit more for an 8 inch sub, a REL T7i or an XTZ 8.17 would make great additions.

Whats stopping you from connecting an integrated amp to a TV? all an integrated would require is an optical-in which most if not all IAs possess. That being said, since your primary usage is going to be music, get the PM6006. Sasta and Tikau!

Its actually every so slightly better than my Marantz SR6013 for stereo applications and more importantly, it has tone controls which work much better than the DSP tone controls on the SR6013. And oh that loudness button! a sinful obsession from time to time.

Having heard the bass response from the QX2s and knowing how much bass can be eked out from comparable 6.5 inch bookshelves (unless my ears deceived me, i felt the QX2 had a better bottom end excursion and scale than either the KEF Q350 and the Evo 4.2) by adjusting tone controls on a PM6006, you won't get any palpable gains from getting a cheap 8" sub. Having said that, if you're willing to splurge a bit more for an 8 inch sub, a REL T7i or an XTZ 8.17 would make great additions.
Thanks! The thing is, my TV for some reason doesn't have an optical out, any way to attach the HDMI ARC to an amplifier? And does that ensure that the audio output from the HDMI device on the other non-ARC out will still provide audio from the amplifier?

If I don't need a sub, then that's amazing news!

Additionally, does the Marantz PM6006 support attaching an active/powered speaker? I have an Edifier 1700BT which I don't want to give away right now, is the audio-out on the amp to attach active speakers via RCA? Also, I don't see a sub-out on the amp which might be a con.

Basically, while I don't want a home-theater right away, some options and future-proofing would be nice..Might want to get a 10-inch sub sometime in the future (if an 8-inch isn't needed).

Thanks! The thing is, my TV for some reason doesn't have an optical out, any way to attach the HDMI ARC to an amplifier? And does that ensure that the audio output from the HDMI device on the other non-ARC out will still provide audio from the amplifier?

Additionally, does the Marantz PM6006 support attaching an active/powered speaker? I have an Edifier 1700BT which I don't want to give away right now, is the audio-out on the amp to attach active speakers via RCA? Also, I don't see a sub-out on the amp which might be a con.

Basically, while I don't want a home-theater right away, some options and future-proofing would be nice..Might want to get a 10-inch sub sometime in the future (if an 8-inch isn't needed).
You can attach either your 1700 or the sub to the RCA out. However, you'll have to adjust the volume of whatever speakers you have connected including the sub manually every single time you increase or decrease the volume.

But i get where you're coming from. With respect to new gear, get yourself an NR1509. However, it runs out of breath rather quickly once you push the decibels. You may be able to find one below 30k (i picked up one for 27k) and you can pick up a power amplifier later, something like a crown xls1002 or 1502 for 21K. However, the tone control will not be anywhere as good as the PM6006.

What's your budget though?

The 1509 is listed at like 66k on avzone!!. What about one of these 3 AVRs? (i know its entry-level):
  1. Denon AVR-X250BT
  2. Pioneer VSX-330-K
  3. Yamaha HTR-3072
Without a sub, I'm willing to splurge about 60k (speakers + AVR). This is why I am also on the lookout for second-hand equipment, especially the AVR, hopefully I'll get a decent deal soon.

Last edited:
You can attach either your 1700 or the sub to the RCA out. However, you'll have to adjust the volume of whatever speakers you have connected including the sub manually every single time you increase or decrease the volume.

But i get where you're coming from. With respect to new gear, get yourself an NR1509. However, it runs out of breath rather quickly once you push the decibels. You may be able to find one below 30k (i picked up one for 27k) and you can pick up a power amplifier later, something like a crown xls1002 or 1502 for 21K. However, the tone control will not be anywhere as good as the PM6006.

What's your budget though?
forgot to quote your reply! Please refer to the comment above this.

You can get a stereo receiver with HDMI ARC.

I have the Denon DRA800H

The Marantz equivalent is NR1200

I am not familiar with the Mission QX2, but I think they are beefy enough to drive any speakers.

The 1509 is listed at like 66k on avzone!!. What about one of these 3 AVRs? (i know its entry-level):
  1. Denon AVR-X250BT
  2. Pioneer VSX-330-K
  3. Yamaha HTR-3072
Without a sub, I'm willing to splurge about 60k (speakers + AVR). This is why I am also on the lookout for second-hand equipment, especially the AVR, hopefully I'll get a decent deal soon.
Haven't heard any of the above. I had a Denon x2400h briefly which i returned because i didn't like it's stereo performance. I found the nr1509 to be better for music.

1. Denon AVR-X250BT
  2. Pioneer VSX-330-K
  3. Yamaha HTR-3072
Check brick&mortar stores.

If movies are not your primary use then opt for stereo receiver/Amp. 5.1 is for movies, for music a dedicated stereo setup works way better. A multi channel AVR wouldn't give you comparable music experience. A stereo receiver will also offer direct streaming option to you which comes very handy.

An Integrated Amp with built-in DAC/Stereo receiver would work with your TV. You could consider a Budget DAC+Amp combo too.

Here are some excellent stereo option options for you,

1. For IA with built-in DAC, Marantz 6006, Denon 600 are good choices.
2. For stereo receiver Yamaha 602 would be a great choice. Marantz/Denon options are quite costly for your budget.
3. For budget DAC+Amp combo, You can opt for Marantz 5005, Denon 520, Norge 1000/1200. You can choose a schiit/topping DAC for this option.

If you need to add a sub later choose an option with sub out. This is not mandatory as many subs now come with speaker level inputs nowadays.

Getting a good speaker and entry level av receiver will not do justification to the speakers as told by fellow members it's better to get stereo Amo and 2.0 speakers will be a Gud option than getting entry level avr. You can still upgrade to 5.0 in near feature.
If you ever want to get a used avr then wait for one until it comes in for sale by owner section which are at least reliable than Olx.

Getting a good speaker and entry level av receiver will not do justification to the speakers as told by fellow members it's better to get stereo Amo and 2.0 speakers will be a Gud option than getting entry level avr. You can still upgrade to 5.0 in near feature.
If you ever want to get a used avr then wait for one until it comes in for sale by owner section which are at least reliable than Olx.
Alright, if I am insisting on an entry-level AVR, what speaker/sub combo would you recommend? It is really important that I can attach my set-top box and smart tv box to these speakers, hence the AVR need. My TV only has HDMI Arc out in terms of audio output (plus 3.5mm jack which is very useless).

The 2 channel AVRs suggested above are 60k plus online, that's like double of my budget for an AVR, I really want to stick to 30k-ish..Speakers 25-30k...and if a sub is needed, around 20k..

Last edited:
Alright, if I am insisting on an entry-level AVR, what speaker/sub combo would you recommend? It is really important that I can attach my set-top box and smart tv box to these speakers, hence the AVR need. My TV only has HDMI Arc out in terms of audio output (plus 3.5mm jack which is very useless).

The 2 channel AVRs suggested above are 60k plus online, that's like double of my budget for an AVR, I really want to stick to 30k-ish..Speakers 25-30k...and if a sub is needed, around 20k..

One of our forum members has this for sale

I think it makes sense.

Next you can then hunt for decent bookshelf speakers (possibly pre owned if not new with remaining budget)

Also Check OLX....there would be some options available. Visit these sellers (take due precautions) and audition.

One possible seller

Share the possible models and brands with quoted price and possibly we can guide if it makes sense...most important you should like the sound quality and also have the functionality to fulfill your requirements

Last edited:

How about an hdmi to optical coverter (plenty available on amazon) coupled with a pm6006? Well within your budget to go with the QX2.

As per my experience, entry level AVRs simply dont have the musicality that an integrated possesses though the NR1509 makes up for it quite commendably by reproducing the signature marantz sound.

1. Denon AVR-X250BT
  2. Pioneer VSX-330-K
  3. Yamaha HTR-3072
My setup:-

qx2-28000/-

Norge 1000 - 15000/- (connected to preouts of denon)

Used Denon 2309 - 15000/-

total 58000/-

and very happy with the quality of sound.

How about an hdmi to optical coverter (plenty available on amazon) coupled with a pm6006? Well within your budget to go with the QX2.

As per my experience, entry level AVRs simply dont have the musicality that an integrated possesses though the NR1509 makes up for it quite commendably by reproducing the signature marantz sound.
Question, where do you attach the sub to this amplifier (if I want one at some point)? I don't see any ports labelled as pre-outs on the PM6006
1616140904724.png

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back