AVR for Movies only

Sidharth, I want you to be clear on something. I do not give any general advice, and I never support any brand. The shorlisting of amplifiers/AVRs has to be done by the person who is buying it. If you piggyback on a post you may get lead in the wrong direction ......... At the end I always insist that the buyer audition the system and buy what his ears and eyes like.

Cheers

i second what you just mentioned Venkat bhai. I trust you on the basis of your technological know how, which goes beyond the brand name. Rest indeed eyes n ears shall have to see/hear it to make our opinion on.

Tks

Sumit, I dont recall you mentioning the speakers on which you judged the Marantz. What speakers and what sub are you presently using?

Also while picking up AVR's it is most imortant to consider your speakes and ensure that you are matching them. If necessary you could even transport your fronts (hopefully they are bookshelves:)) and take them to the audition.

First let us clear your PS. If you don't like the Marantz, you will certainly not like the Azur 640R. The Azur has been made to be a musical amplifier and gives equal importance to both music ad movies, and because of the CA background, leans more towards music.

I think ultimately you have to choose between Yamaha and Onkyo. But here you have made my job very difficult. You want me to choose from 4 very good receivers? Give me a break !!

In the Yamaha, though it has less power, the 863 seems to have more features such as Dolby Digital EX, Neural Sound, HD Radio, DTS Neo, and Bluetooth compatibility. The 1800 does not provide anything greatly esciting to justify its additional price.

In Onkyo, it is much more difficult. The main difference is power. Other wise both are very capable amps.

So we have eliminated the 1800. You have to choose between the 863, the 805, and the 705. A lot also depends upon the budget. If you can afford it, I would go for the Onkyo 805. On a more budgetary scale, you have to choose between the 705 and the 863. The 863 is not THX Certified, and that is an advantage the 705 has. Other than this both have superb sound processing capabilities.

What I am going to do is to help you in your choice by showing you some professional reviews. Read them and then we will see which one you want. Each is followed by a paragraph of conclusions. If this helps you decide, please do let me know what factors you used to decide.

Yamaha 863

Home Theater: Yamaha RX-V863 A/V Receiver

Yamaha has long excelled in the $999 receiver category, and the RX-V863 is no exception. This receiver has a smart new feature set that combines original ideas (scene), rarities (Bluetooth), and new things we must all have (Dolby TrueHD, et al.). The graphic user interface could use an overhaul, but apart from that, this receiver is right up to date.

Yamaha RX-V863 7.2 Channel Home Theater Receiver Review & Information

For about $1,000, you get an awful lot of features and performance with the Yamaha V863. Don??t be put off by its modest looks, as the V863 sounds every bit as good as its similarly-priced rivals and even better than some home theater receivers costing twice as much. It??s a good value and a terrific receiver, highly recommended.

Onkyo 805

Onkyo TX-SR805 Multi-channel Home Theater Receiver Review & Information

For close to $1,000, the Onkyo 805 is one of my favorite receivers available today. Sure, it doesn??t up-convert everything to 1080p, but that??s about all it lacks in terms of features when stacking it up against the competition. However, that little ??cheat? so many enthusiasts like to spew out at you will cost you more and, if you already have the HD sources like a Blu-ray, HD DVD or DVR player, then save your money and rest assured that the Onkyo 805 is probably all the receiver you??re going to need for a long time.

Onkyo TX-SR805 AV Receiver Review — Reviews and News from Audioholics

The design approach applied to the TX-SR805 is clearly geared more for audio performance. All of the audio processing is cutting edge and the amplifier section walks all over the competition. Video processing is adequate, but is not by any stretch cutting edge. As I previously stated, if one wants or needs the additional video performance, the TX-SR875 is looks to be everything that the TX-SR805 is with the addition of HQV 1080p video processing.

The good news with the TX-SR805, while the video processing is limited, it conforms to the latest enhancements that HDMI 1.3a offers, so it will not bottleneck system performance as 1080p and high bit Deep Color become the norm.

Based purely on audio quality of the receiver itself, the TX-SR805 will easily compete with any offering at or near its price. With lossless decoding and Audyssey engaged, nothing comparably priced that does not include HD audio or Audyssey will even come close.

Onkyo has clearly upped the ante with the TX-SR805. With the level of audio performance, HD audio decoding, high build quality, THX Ultra2 certification, and the myriad of cutting edge features, the TX-SR805 is highly recommended.

Onkyo TX-SR805 Receiver�-�AVRev.com

With a retail price of $999, the Onkyo TX-SR805 is a juggernaut. How Onkyo is able to pack so much performance, technology and livability into such an inexpensive package is beyond me. A year ago, a receiver boasting half of what the Onkyo TX-SR805 delivers would have run you twice as much, which speaks not only to the sheer value of the TX-SR805, but also to the efficiency and prowess of the Onkyo designers themselves.

The TX-SR805 does so many things right technologically, and sounds more high-end than any other receiver I??ve heard in recent memory, that I have no inclination to remove it from my rack any time soon. As bowled over as I was with the Yamaha RX-V861, nothing could??ve prepared me for the TX-SR805. Don??t get me wrong, there are other great receivers out there, but it??s the completeness of the TX-SR805 that astounds me most. Be it music or movies, high definition or standard definition, adding or subtracting gear or even operating another zone, the Onkyo TX-SR805 simply shines. It is the first feature-packed receiver I??ve encountered that doesn??t appear to be preoccupied with its own technology. Instead, the TX-SR805 opts to entertain and, while the latest technology may play a role in the total enjoyment of your system, tearing your hair out to get to it isn??t entertaining. The Onkyo TX-SR805 is a wonderful receiver, one Onkyo should be proud of and one you??d be silly to pass up.

Home Theater: B&W 600 Series Speaker System and Onkyo TX-SR805 A/V Receiver

Both B&W and Onkyo (and many other manufacturers) offer higher-end products that presumably do all the same stuff and do it better. In a direct comparison, I??d probably notice the difference. But if I never got another set of review samples, I??d happily live with this system forever.

Cheers

Point to be noted-

Yamaha's almost all AVR has Burr-brown DAc,64 bit DSP.

Onkyo's upper range has it.

Last edited:
first let us clear your ps. If you don't like the marantz, you will certainly not like the azur 640r. The azur has been made to be a musical amplifier and gives equal importance to both music ad movies, and because of the ca background, leans more towards music.

I think ultimately you have to choose between yamaha and onkyo. But here you have made my job very difficult. You want me to choose from 4 very good receivers? Give me a break !!

In the yamaha, though it has less power, the 863 seems to have more features such as dolby digital ex, neural sound, hd radio, dts neo, and bluetooth compatibility. The 1800 does not provide anything greatly esciting to justify its additional price.

In onkyo, it is much more difficult. The main difference is power. Other wise both are very capable amps.

So we have eliminated the 1800. You have to choose between the 863, the 805, and the 705. A lot also depends upon the budget. If you can afford it, i would go for the onkyo 805. On a more budgetary scale, you have to choose between the 705 and the 863. The 863 is not thx certified, and that is an advantage the 705 has. Other than this both have superb sound processing capabilities.

What i am going to do is to help you in your choice by showing you some professional reviews. Read them and then we will see which one you want. Each is followed by a paragraph of conclusions. If this helps you decide, please do let me know what factors you used to decide.

yamaha 863

home theater: Yamaha rx-v863 a/v receiver

yamaha has long excelled in the $999 receiver category, and the rx-v863 is no exception. This receiver has a smart new feature set that combines original ideas (scene), rarities (bluetooth), and new things we must all have (dolby truehd, et al.). The graphic user interface could use an overhaul, but apart from that, this receiver is right up to date.

yamaha rx-v863 7.2 channel home theater receiver review & information

for about $1,000, you get an awful lot of features and performance with the yamaha v863. Don??t be put off by its modest looks, as the v863 sounds every bit as good as its similarly-priced rivals and even better than some home theater receivers costing twice as much. It??s a good value and a terrific receiver, highly recommended.

onkyo 805

onkyo tx-sr805 multi-channel home theater receiver review & information

for close to $1,000, the onkyo 805 is one of my favorite receivers available today. Sure, it doesn??t up-convert everything to 1080p, but that??s about all it lacks in terms of features when stacking it up against the competition. However, that little ??cheat? so many enthusiasts like to spew out at you will cost you more and, if you already have the hd sources like a blu-ray, hd dvd or dvr player, then save your money and rest assured that the onkyo 805 is probably all the receiver you??re going to need for a long time.

onkyo tx-sr805 av receiver review — reviews and news from audioholics

the design approach applied to the tx-sr805 is clearly geared more for audio performance. All of the audio processing is cutting edge and the amplifier section walks all over the competition. Video processing is adequate, but is not by any stretch cutting edge. As i previously stated, if one wants or needs the additional video performance, the tx-sr875 is looks to be everything that the tx-sr805 is with the addition of hqv 1080p video processing.

The good news with the tx-sr805, while the video processing is limited, it conforms to the latest enhancements that hdmi 1.3a offers, so it will not bottleneck system performance as 1080p and high bit deep color become the norm.

Based purely on audio quality of the receiver itself, the tx-sr805 will easily compete with any offering at or near its price. With lossless decoding and audyssey engaged, nothing comparably priced that does not include hd audio or audyssey will even come close.

Onkyo has clearly upped the ante with the tx-sr805. With the level of audio performance, hd audio decoding, high build quality, thx ultra2 certification, and the myriad of cutting edge features, the tx-sr805 is highly recommended.

onkyo tx-sr805 receiver�-�avrev.com

with a retail price of $999, the onkyo tx-sr805 is a juggernaut. How onkyo is able to pack so much performance, technology and livability into such an inexpensive package is beyond me. A year ago, a receiver boasting half of what the onkyo tx-sr805 delivers would have run you twice as much, which speaks not only to the sheer value of the tx-sr805, but also to the efficiency and prowess of the onkyo designers themselves.

The tx-sr805 does so many things right technologically, and sounds more high-end than any other receiver i??ve heard in recent memory, that i have no inclination to remove it from my rack any time soon. As bowled over as i was with the yamaha rx-v861, nothing could??ve prepared me for the tx-sr805. Don??t get me wrong, there are other great receivers out there, but it??s the completeness of the tx-sr805 that astounds me most. Be it music or movies, high definition or standard definition, adding or subtracting gear or even operating another zone, the onkyo tx-sr805 simply shines. It is the first feature-packed receiver i??ve encountered that doesn??t appear to be preoccupied with its own technology. Instead, the tx-sr805 opts to entertain and, while the latest technology may play a role in the total enjoyment of your system, tearing your hair out to get to it isn??t entertaining. The onkyo tx-sr805 is a wonderful receiver, one onkyo should be proud of and one you??d be silly to pass up.

home theater: B&w 600 series speaker system and onkyo tx-sr805 a/v receiver

both b&w and onkyo (and many other manufacturers) offer higher-end products that presumably do all the same stuff and do it better. In a direct comparison, i??d probably notice the difference. But if i never got another set of review samples, i??d happily live with this system forever.

Cheers

Last edited:
Point to be noted-

Yamaha's almost all AVR has Burr-brown DAc,64 bit DSP.

Onkyo's upper range has it.

Srirovious:Bro get your facts right> 863 has Burr-brown alright but not 64bit. Its 24 bit.

Vortex: I am using PSB image 55 and Image C60 center. Actually, you can have a look at the equipment in my signature at the bottom.

Venkat: Many thanks for yet another detailed and needless to say-helpful post.

I have read all the reviews you mentioned and many more on the internet.
The 805 seems to be a cracker of an AVR but comes at a price.
The 705 is also good but there are some noticebale (maybe) differences:

Quote from a forum:
The main advantages for the 805 to me are Burr-Brown dacs, zone3 out, better amplifier section (60 amp vs. 36 amp, .05 % thd vs. .08, THX Ultr2 vs. Select2. And 100 mhz component video bandwith vs. 50. Also, the 805 shares the same chassis with the 875, the 705 shares with the 605.

Now Venkat, I can read the differences but are they going to provide a noticeable impact worth 25k> This is the big question. Can you answer this?

In my case if I am going for a integrated amp later on, then I can use the pre-out from the 705 and then use the extra power of the integrated for the front 2 channels. Hence, the extra power of 805 is rendered useless.

Burr-brown DAC of 805 VS AUREUS 32bit DAC of 705? How much difference does this make?

Ultra2 of 805 is for bigger theatres ( as in my case) compared to select2 of 705.

THX Product Logo Guide

I have not found too many reviews of the 705. Just a few non elaborate ones. One can't really decide anything by reading those.

863 is a decent AVR as well. Will decide about it after the demo.

If I conclude for this post I can say:
If budget allows, I shall go for 805. No questions asked.
Otherwise 705 and 863 are good contenders.

I called Onkyo for a demo (the final frontier where every AV buff goes) and they told me that 805 and 705 are not in stock at the moment. I was asked to check up in couple of days.

I shall decide on the apt receiver after the demo of the chosen ones.

As rightly put by noticeable American poet Robert Frost,
" The woods are lovely dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep"

Also, Onkyo has launched 706 & 806 in US. It should be launched in India in around 3 months. Do you think I should wait?
I have two reasons for waiting:
1) The prices of current 705 and 805 might crash soon before the launch.
2) Even if the prices don't crash the new models will sold at the same price.

What are your views?

Thanks a ton.

Sumit.

Now Venkat, I can read the differences but are they going to provide a noticeable impact worth 25k> This is the big question. Can you answer this?

In my case if I am going for a integrated amp later on, then I can use the pre-out from the 705 and then use the extra power of the integrated for the front 2 channels. Hence, the extra power of 805 is rendered useless.

Burr-brown DAC of 805 VS AUREUS 32bit DAC of 705? How much difference does this make?

Also, Onkyo has launched 706 & 806 in US. It should be launched in India in around 3 months. Do you think I should wait?

I have two reasons for waiting:
1) The prices of current 705 and 805 might crash soon before the launch.
2) Even if the prices don't crash the new models will sold at the same price.

What are your views?

Yes, the extra power of the 805 over the 705 may not be worth the extra 25K. But this is a decision you have to take. It is not just the extra power the 805 provides, does it?

Regarding the Aureus DAC, it is made by TI, and has a very good reputation in the market. The Burr Brown is more well known, but the TI DACs are also gaining popularity. They will be as efficient as the Burr Browns.

Frankly you have to listen to both the Onkyo and the Yamaha to see which sound signature you like. That will be the clincher.

Regarding waiting, the cost factor makes sense. In terms of specs, neither the 706 nor the 806 provide any thing new that can be called exciting.

Cheers

Check this out:
ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA

( i have planned for HT-S5100 ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA)
---------------------------------------------------------

Hi!!

Time and again People are telling me to go for Yamaha 1800 over Denon 2809 for better movie effects. Although, I have not experienced Yamaha first hand but for movies it has a reputation. Not sure what to do here.....
Need help here....big time.

Check this out:
ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA

( i have planned for HT-S5100 ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND INDIA)
---------------------------------------------------------

Hey Girl!

I am not sure what are trying to communicate here? Do you need help or are you tring to give help???

You actually think I would not have visited the Onkyo website!! Thanks for mentioning though. I appreciate it.

Sumit

Sorry sumit...for my short communication

yes i am suggesting onkyo 5100

Hey Girl!

I am not sure what are trying to communicate here? Do you need help or are you tring to give help???

You actually think I would not have visited the Onkyo website!! Thanks for mentioning though. I appreciate it.

Sumit

Despite Denon being a little less powerful in comparison to Onkyo on overall rating scale, but having read much about the heat emissions ..i had picked a Denon 2309. It got delivered today.

Sturdy look n feel as expected from Denon. Usually good on aesthetics and i hope it shall come along well, since i would usually end up immersed in movies than getting way too analytical with my novice ears.

Hope you get to finalize a set for yourself soon as well.

brgs

Despite Denon being a little less powerful in comparison to Onkyo on overall rating scale, but having read much about the heat emissions ..i had picked a Denon 2309. It got delivered today.

Sturdy look n feel as expected from Denon. Usually good on aesthetics and i hope it shall come along well, since i would usually end up immersed in movies than getting way too analytical with my novice ears.

Hope you get to finalize a set for yourself soon as well.

brgs

Hey Sid,
Congrats on your new toy man!!

Hope you have a great time with Denon...
Anyways where and how much did you get it for??

Congratulations on your purchase Sumit. And the Image T55 seems to be an awesome speaker based on feedback on the internet. What is your take on them? Also how much did you get them for?

Sumit your speaker PSB Image T55 are 6-ohm nominal can dip to 4 ohms.
If its more power your looking for maybe a 2 channel robust power amplifier for your towers using your existing receivers pre outs would be my solution.
This way your receivers internal amplifier would have more juice and headroom for your less demanding speakers. Your towers would have enough head room for themselves.

My 2 cents...
satish

Vortex: Thanks. The T55 is great pair. It has the lows and and the high. This is one speaker that is good for movies and music. I am satisfied with my purchase. I also bought a C60 center to match with them. It is a huge center speaker. It is actually a T55 cut in half with similar drivers. The only difference is size and crossovers.
I bought it from Lakozy mumbai for 46750K in Jan'07.

Audiodelic: I understand what you saying. Actually, we have discussed using a 2 channle poweramp vide pre-out some months back. The thing is that the Marantz sound is not going to change. But, nevertheless I had planned to use a 2 channel pre-power combo for music later on. Maybe I can buy the poweramp for now and then I can decide upon the new receiver/2 ch.pre.
I shall think about this.
What do you think Venkat? Is this going to change a big deal how movies are going to sound?
What do u think audiodelic w.r.t. movie sound?

Thanks u guys.

Hey Satish!!

Just saw your HT. U have some great equipment. I saw your Emotiva power amp. looks solid. Where did you get that for and for how much?

Sumit

Sumit your speaker PSB Image T55 are 6-ohm nominal can dip to 4 ohms.
If its more power your looking for maybe a 2 channel robust power amplifier for your towers using your existing receivers pre outs would be my solution.
This way your receivers internal amplifier would have more juice and headroom for your less demanding speakers. Your towers would have enough head room for themselves.

My 2 cents...
satish

I bought it from Lakozy mumbai for 46750K in Jan'07.

Audiodelic: I understand what you saying. Actually, we have discussed using a 2 channle poweramp vide pre-out some months back. The thing is that the Marantz sound is not going to change. But, nevertheless I had planned to use a 2 channel pre-power combo for music later on. Maybe I can buy the poweramp for now and then I can decide upon the new receiver/2 ch.pre.
I shall think about this.
What do you think Venkat? Is this going to change a big deal how movies are going to sound?
What do u think audiodelic w.r.t. movie sound?
Thanks u guys.

46750K? That is 4 crores, 67 lakhs, and 50 thousand. Did Lakozy close shop after you paid that amount, and went dancing to the bank? :D

I understand what Audiodelic is trying. At the same time, the basic character of the sound is completed at the pre-amplifier stage and once it is through the DSP processing. After that it is a simple process of amplification. So if you take a preamp output from the Marantz and amplify it, you will most probably get more volume, but the same sound characteristics.

There is no harm in trying it, as long as you don't have to put in some financial commitment. See if a dealer you know well will allow you to 'borrow' a amp for a day or two. Say during weekends when his shop is closed?

Cheers

46750K? That is 4 crores, 67 lakhs, and 50 thousand. Did Lakozy close shop after you paid that amount, and went dancing to the bank? :D
Cheers

Yes Venky...make fun of my Typo.... Incase there are still people wondering: 46.750k.

Lets just say I was right about the Marantz sound not changing after using the poweramp. Although, I would be buying one once I finalized the AVR. But, that is stage two.
Meanwhile, I am still waiting for the dealer to call me for the demo for 805.

Yes Venky...make fun of my Typo.... In case there are still people wondering: 46.750k.

Hey, I was just trying to bring some humour into the system. I usually skip such items, but since this was such an obvious typo, i though I will pull your leg.

My apologies.

Cheers

Hey Satish!!

Just saw your HT. U have some great equipment. I saw your Emotiva power amp. looks solid. Where did you get that for and for how much?

Sumit

Bought the Emotiva in the states. They have some great performing equipment for decent prices. This company was started by a bunch of audio enthusiasts working for big brand names in the field. They got together one day and decided to start a company which would give VFM to the end consumer via using internet distribution and cutting out the middleman.
Emotiva Audio :: Audiophile Quality Audio Electronics and loudspeakers for home theater and music at Factory Direct Prices; Multi Channel Amplifiers, Sound Processors, and Award Winning Speaker Systems

I paid about $650 for the Emo LPA-1. Specifics:-
125W x 5 + 60W x 2
Great amp for the money i paid. Now they have replaced this with UPA-1 which is 125 x 7. Price i is same.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back