AVR getting heated up in matrix mode, is it normal??

diplomat

Dear Members,
Recently I jusy played some mp3 2 channel music through my Marantz AVR in matrix mode i.e. complete data fed to all the 5.1 channels at a time, for some half an hour or so. I was surprised to note that AVR had lot of heat builtup as compared to even watching typical hindi movie for 3 hrs. I just stopped it and allowed it to cool down, next played the same tracks in DPLII music mode for more than 1 hr, AVR was normal.
Can somebody clarify on this, is it normal for AVRs to behave like that???
Thanks in advance.

It is normal for AVRs to get considerably heated up. But I would have thought that decent heat build up would take more than an hour or so of constant playing.

If everything still works as expected I dont think you need to be concerned about the heat buildup overtly. Of course you should check if you have placed the AVR in an enclosure with a bit of ventilation. Decent gap (4 to 6 inches if possible) above the AVR with no blocks or objects atop it should do the trick.

ur right, as correctly pointed out, my AVR is in confined space, but I have provided one 4 inch silent fan used for instrument panel on the rear and that works nice. The doubt is , in matrix mode is the amp loaded more than any other mode like either in DD or DTS?? What I feel, in the movie format, the channels are fed with the sound only when they are on the main track. For example, rear ones are silent most of the time. But in matrix mode all of them have same data and loaded. This may not be the exact issue as the systems must have been designed for all the type of load like that.....

ur right, as correctly pointed out, my AVR is in confined space, but I have provided one 4 inch silent fan used for instrument panel on the rear and that works nice. The doubt is , in matrix mode is the amp loaded more than any other mode like either in DD or DTS?? What I feel, in the movie format, the channels are fed with the sound only when they are on the main track. For example, rear ones are silent most of the time. But in matrix mode all of them have same data and loaded. This may not be the exact issue as the systems must have been designed for all the type of load like that.....

Yes in Matrix Mode your AVR plays all the speakers simultaniously from a 2 channel source and generates more heat due to the overload of the amp section whereas with the movies not all channels work at all times so the load is equally distributed among all channels and this puts less load on the amp section of the AVR. But as far as its not tripping or going into protection mode its not a problem for the AVR.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back