avr maximum power handling.. confused

prosenjit

Dear all
I presently have onkyo 3400 whose avr is R-309 whose specs it is written 120w/channel tested at one channel only at a time.
the reciver power is written 390 watts.so it cannot deliver 120 watts at the same time to all the 6 channles.am i right/wrong??
or the speaker power and electrical powers are different?
now I want to buy 2 bookshelves(sonus/polk/wharfdale).
problem is........
say a bookshelf imp is 6 ohm and power rated 100 watt.
is it okay for the avr to power them up.what is maximum capacity speaker this particuler avr can handle without damaging itself/amplifier.
I will be replacing the fronts supplied with 3400 package by the new bookshelves.

some floorstanders are also having 6 ohm and 100 watt.pairing them with this avr wont damage this avr.......or damage??

please help
thank you

It must be 120w 2ch driven for 1Khz perhaps & not all ch driven with full frequency response.With 390w,it must be around 50w or less for 5ch driven.
3400 can go in protection mode if you drive 6 ohm speakers too hard.Its safe to use 8ohm speakers with entry level AVR.

6 ohms shoudl be absolutely fine with the Onkyo. Dont fret over the power rating of AVR, they are misguiding at best. They are tested for one channel and dont consider the distortion when the wattage ratings are derived. Its more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back