ECDesigns Power DAC SX. A head spinning one box solution.

yogibear

First pictures…

IMG_2955.jpeg

IMG_2956.jpeg

IMG_2957.jpeg

IMG_2958.jpeg
IMG_2959.jpeg
An inconspicuous Power DAC which is kind of sleek yet takes up quite some rack space, 6.3 kg weight, with one optical input and two ports for speaker banana plugs. Remote volume control with display which clocks 24 for maximum output.

Proprietary DAC architecture with no active devices but only resistor array for conversion as well as gain. The DAC outputs a maximum of 20 watts at 2 ohms and decreases down to 11 watts per channel at 8 ohms. This is DAC unlike solid state or tube amps, loves dips in impedance. (It’s perfectly stable even at 1 ohm impedance)

The converter used is UT192, for usb to optical and is pictured above. I use the special Toslink cable which connects to the coax output of the converter and feeds optical signal to the DAC.

Impressions:

1. Very very dark background. Scaringly dark, I must admit.
2. Full frequency response with silvery highs and buttery smooth midrange.
3. Incredible, hair raising details.
4. Low low, bottom less bass.
5. Very linear, precise rendition of music where distortion of any kind seems to be missing.

The DAC drives my 88dB bookshelves with ease which get very loud at 18 volume setting. 20 is the max I have played and yet the distortion is permanently absent irrespective of the volume level.

Since I am a tube gear DIY fanatic so how does this compares to tube amps ? Well, with tube amps the DAC is still ECDesigns Power B or BX which outputs under 2 volts. So it’s a difficult question to answer as I would want both setups for life. Only thing left to experiment is driving different speakers which happens to be next many projects.

However this one box solution is incredible and leaves nothing to be desired.

More details / specs here:

Attachments

• IMG_2957.jpeg
    IMG_2957.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 10
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back