AVR or Stereo Receiver (Yamaha RX797/Marantz SR4023/Denon DRA697)?

Raghav

This is for a set up in the bedroom (14' X 12') separate from the Home Theatre. Primarily the following components will be used.

1. Plasma 42" HDTV (720p most probably)
2. STB - Tata Sky
3. DVD Player
4. iPod
5. Camcorder/Digicam
6. Quad 11L2 / 12L2 with a Sub may be (2.0 or 2.1)
7. Dedicated CDP
8. Ceiling speakers in Zone 2-3 (Audio Zones) i.e. sit-out and the bathroom.

9. Stereo Receiver or 5.1 AVR

Primarily all the sources being used do not have 1080p Data which needs HDMI or component. Thus they can be connected via composite video given in the Stereo Receiver. Or they can be directly connected to TV for video purposes. Also any HD source added later can be connected directly to the TV.

What is choice recommended for number 9. (Stereo receiver or 5.1 AVR)?
pros and cons. Usage is evenly split between TV/Movies/Music. Budget 30-40K flexible.

Also if Stereo receiver is considered better then which of the below three.

1. Marantz SR40023CI
Marantz America | SR4023 CI Friendly Stereo Receiver

2. Yamaha RX-797
RX-797

3. Denon DRA-697CI
Denon USA | DRA-697CI

Hoping for proper guidance in the above.

Raghav

Since you already have a HT setup and also thsi is the bedroom, you want to go for a music system. The Quad's are really natural speakers that stay true to the source.

By doing zone 2 ... you are spreading yourself too thin in terms of having a solid system versus one with a lots of bells and whistles.

I would go for a mid level integrated amp like an Arcam or a Nait or Music Hall and a decent CDP such as a Cambridge Audio or a Marantz or a Arcam

By doing zone 2 ... you are spreading yourself too thin in terms of having a solid system versus one with a lots of bells and whistles.

I would go for a mid level integrated amp like an Arcam or a Nait or Music Hall and a decent CDP such as a Cambridge Audio or a Marantz or a Arcam

Zone2/3 is primarily to cover the Bathroom & Sitting area (8X14) which is an extension of the bedroom. Also Stereo Receiver avoids buying a dedicated Radio Tuner. Plus I get Composite Video Switching which is default for stuff like Camcorder, Tata Sky, iPod. Can the TV take all these video inputs plus my DVD and Console (later on)?

You have now made it a choice between amp or stereo receiver. Should i take it that 5.1 AVR is not at all recommended.

Zone2/3 is primarily to cover the Bathroom & Sitting area (8X14) which is an extension of the bedroom. Also Stereo Receiver avoids buying a dedicated Radio Tuner. Plus I get Composite Video Switching which is default for stuff like Camcorder, Tata Sky, iPod. Can the TV take all these video inputs plus my DVD and Console (later on)?

You have now made it a choice between amp or stereo receiver. Should i take it that 5.1 AVR is not at all recommended.

With an integrated, you won't be doing any video at all. It will be a music only system. But you will have the option of getting excellent audio quality compared to AVR.

This is also what a stereo receiver offers. However it wont have a built in pre-processor and amplifier sections that are separate. If you intend to use composite to connect to the TV, then having a Plasma is a waste of money.

In this case you may be better off with an AVR but to have to settle for marginal audio quality relatively

integrated amp or stereo recievr- you need to choose what you need

however as for which brand you should take
well ive heard the quads with a denon and a marantz.

i would definetely pick a marantz for these speakers.
Denon would require some brighter speakers to make a good pairing which Quad is NOT

however i cant say anyting about Yamaha since ive not heard it with these speakers.
though i do believ that yamaha would make a good match too

If you intend to use composite to connect to the TV, then having a Plasma is a waste of money.

relatively

If the source is SD (DVDs, Tata Sky, iPod) what is the benefit of connecting them via HDMI. Upscaling maybe one of them, but there are several arguments that the HDTV does equally good job of upscaling vis-a-vis AVR. Also if I get BD player, I can by pass the 2.1AVR and connect staright to TV for the Video.

If the source is SD (DVDs, Tata Sky, iPod) what is the benefit of connecting them via HDMI. Upscaling maybe one of them, but there are several arguments that the HDTV does equally good job of upscaling vis-a-vis AVR. Also if I get BD player, I can by pass the 2.1AVR and connect staright to TV for the Video.

Even if you don't upscale, composite video has lower quality output than component even for STBs. So its not a win win situation. Also if you get a BD player then you better have an AVR since you wil not take advantage of any audio below 5.1. BD players are meant to be hooked upto AVRs

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back